Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dregae

weeping standards

Does anyone know where I can order a weeping standard rose in the us? Or am I out of luck?

thanks

grace e

Comments (25)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

The last commercial source for weepers who shipped I knew of was the old Week's. Kim

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Weeks still lists Weeping China Doll

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

David Austin roses in th uk lists several weeping tree roses... WHY AREN"T THEY AVAILABLE HERE!!!!! Sorry had to rant for a minute. I get annoyed by the gardening products I can't get in the usa for whatever reason. I guess if it isn't knock-out roses, yellow daylilies and echinacea they assume we won't want it.

grace e

• idixierose
    11 years ago

J&P offered weeping Renae on 36" standard last year. May be worth checking their site to see if it's available this year.

• lagomorphmom
    11 years ago

Weeping China Doll is very pretty, imho. (Don't have it, simply saw it at a nursery, years ago.)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

A friend has a huge, iron gazebo covered with six Sally Holmes. Its entrance is flanked by two, small circular beds, each with a weeping China Doll standard, surrounded with Scarlet Flower Carpets. As long as they are kept cleaned out and fed well, they are gorgeous. Kim

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading everyone's responses I found a site www.growquest.com tht sells renae and some others some on very tall standards! I read Dave's garden reviews and while the old ones were negative the more recent ones were positive. Does anyone have e perience with them?

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also found weeping china doll with regans nursery. Anyone familiar with them. I was out of luck with jp and weeks.

Grace e

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never mind on growquest I did some more looking around on them.... No thanks not worth the risk. Guess I'll keep looking

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

not growquest, no, no! easier to just throw the money down the sewer. Regans is reliable.

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

LA Arboretum had (maybe they still have) 4 to 6 very large weeping china doll standards on the path to the exhibition hall. They were magnificent. A focal point for any garden to be sure.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Before Dr. Tommy destroyed them, Rose Hills had magnificent weepers and umbrellas of Mermaid, Renae and others. Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

I would think that the umbrella trellises would be easier to maintain than a standard with a single trunk. I had a pretty nice standard of baby blanket and when a crown gall got it I was mopey for months.

• idixierose
    11 years ago

J&P currently offers Raspberry Blanket and Red Ribbons on 36" standard.

I bought 4 of the Raspberry Blanket trees last year and was pleased with what they shipped. All of them are doing well. One of them seem much more vigorous than the others and has put out 6-7 very long flexible canes. Definitely what I call weeping style.

My question to add to this discussion is, how does one train a weeping standard?

I'm thinking I need to tie the canes to shape and direct their growth. Maybe put a weight on each cane to pull it downward.

Here is a link that might be useful: weeping standards at J&P

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I read somewhere that someone tied hex nuts to the end of the canes to train them down.

I looked up the umbrella trellis and I am liking it alot. I think it is less limiting, I can pick whatever rose I want and train it that way, Similar look and all....thank you for the suggestion and for everyone's help

grace e

• kittymoonbeam
    11 years ago

You need a rose that will not die on the ends that are hanging downward but there are lots to choose from and if one cane dies, then you still have the others.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    11 years ago

Is it possible to train an own-root band into a weeping standard by pillaring the canes around a stake, and then training the top to open like an umbrella? I'm imagining something like a braided Ficus benjamina, from which you remove all green growth along the "trunk" once growth has reached the height you wish, and then pinching the top to encourage branching.

:-)

~Christopher

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Yup! You'll probably have an easier time of it if you remove the growth buds up the canes you desire to use as the trunk or braided trunk so they remain "trunk-like". Late Victorian era through post WW1 florists used to do similarly to make potted standards from ramblers for the holidays. Kim

• MzMolly65
    10 years ago

My local nursery has China Doll in a weeping tree. Will this survive outside in my area AND I was thinking of planting it on the north side of my house near my front step. It's a brick step and would provide heat but only morning sun.

If that's a bad location and I really want this tree I could plant it somewhere else but my heart was set on seeing it by the front door every time I came home.

• MzMolly65
    10 years ago

When I got to the nursery today the China Dolls were all gone but they talked me into a Renae saying it was similar enough I would be happy.

Thoughts?

• susan4952
    10 years ago

This is Easter Basket. Over winters in my zone 5 garage. Not really a weeping rose, but responds to gravity. Trunk on right of pic.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And my liv tyler weeps.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have seen Renae as a weeping standard and it is very pretty too

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Hoovb has an awesome Rene.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

And burgundy iceberg weeps