Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glove_up_gw

are my roses dead

Glove-Up
9 years ago

hey, I live in the extremes of the australian weather and as we are doing up our front garden I had to move 6 standard rose bushes ( few old ones) and I did it at their dormat time after pruning. 2 went into the ground the other 4 into large pots but they look like they are dead. All other roses are flowering ect but mine just look dead. I am giving them feed and regular watering but they still look dead as a dodo. Can anyone tell me if their is any likelihood that they will come good next spring or should I just give up on them as my husband suggests. Look forward to your feedback...regards

Comments (9)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Pictures would be very helpful but a way to test is to clip off an inch or so at the end of the canes. If they are brown or dark tan and dry in the center that is dead cane. If they are creamy greenish white they are alive. Keep cutting down the canes until you see that white moist looking center . If you can't find any then the rose is probably dead.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

So how long ago did you move them? What was the weather like at that time of year? Were they defoliated when you moved them, or did they defoliate after you moved them?

We should not fertilize plants that don't have foliage; also there is a danger of over-watering them, because they are not transpiring moisture. Over-watering can kill plants.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

seil's advice is good (as usual), but the sure-fire way to tell if a cut stem is alive is to look for a thin ring of green inner bark in the cross-section. This ring turns brown immediately if that cane section is dead.

• Glove-Up
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou both for your very helpful advice. I answer to your earlier questions michaelg I moved them in august which is coming out of our winter into spring. I had as I said already given them their annual prune prior to moving them. I will check out your suggestions in the next day or so and let you know how I went. thanks heaps.

• Glove-Up
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well I think they are still alive as I clipped off an inch or so and they seem greenish cream inside the stem. So what to do with them now as we have missed the time now where they would normally but and flower just look like dead stalks so will they look like that for the next year or is there something I should be doing now like prunning harder. I appreciate your advice.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

If they haven't leafed out after 3 months but the canes are still alive, that's a puzzle. The only thing I can think of is that they have been way short of water. When I transplant I remove most of the foliage (to reduce water loss) and water each plant in with 5-10 gallons of water. Normally they start new growth in a couple of weeks.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

When you moved them were there any thin white feeder roots in the root balls? If not they may be concentrating on putting on new roots instead of leaves. I would hold off on giving them any fertilizer until they do leaf out. Just keep them well watered and in good sunlight and wait.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I had to cut a big shrub ownroot rose (Pierre Gagnaire) way back and then move it in temps like that last year. It took forever to bud out, but the canes were green. He just sat there, green, for at least a couple of months, well into warm weather. It was the weirdest thing, but I knew I didn't get a big rootball compared to his original size.

Anyway, he did great. He put out one or two new basals along with leafing out. He didn't get especially tall yet, but I'm sure he'll grow up great again.

I treated him like I would any transplanted rose while he was doing nothing. So he got normal water, etc. I felt like giving up on him, but I'm so glad I didn't!

• Glove-Up
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok well just sit tight for now and see what happens but they do make the garden look look a little sad it spots. Thanks for all your comments and will let you all know how they go. cheers