Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving roses in MI zone 5

Posted by lisav6466 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 16:09

Will be moving soon and need to move roses that I have had for years. I live in Michigan in zone 5. Could I dig them up and trench them in with compost at the new house until they can be replanted in the spring? Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving roses in MI zone 5

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 16:16

Where are you moving to? Will you have an unheated garage at the new house? How many roses are we talking about and what kinds are they? More information would be helpful.

I suppose you could do the trench thing but I would pot them and garage them if I could. Depending on where you are moving to the ground may already be too frozen to dig trenches in.

o

I will be moving to Brighton, Livingston County. We are going to dig the trench tomorrow as I agree the ground is freezing. I am trying to figure something out quickly as we are moving things now. Hope to be in new house by X-mas. I have several own root roses and English that I want to take to new house.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 23:44

Brighton isn't too far from me. I'm in St. Clair Shores and my ground is just starting to freeze. You should be OK to dig. Bury them as deep as you can and make sure you put markers all around them so you can find them next spring when you want to dig them out. I buried some seedling pots one year and didn't mark them well enough. When I went to dig them out I sliced one in half with the shovel!

o

Thanks for the info. Wish I would have done this sooner just ran out of time. Good idea about the markers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here