Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura242424

Botero HT: the Perfect Red Rose? (at least in pics)

laura242424
9 years ago

I want to hate this Meilland rose, Botera a.k.a. Duftfestival or MEIafone, that isn't available here in North America. I saw a picture of it in a big rose book, and thought the color and form looked so perfect! A true red, not too bright. And it's won a fragrance award. And the colors of the leaves complement the red so well, and the uploaded pictures on Help Me Find aren't discouraging!

Please either sympathize, or make me not want it so badly????

Excuse my laziness for multiple posts for multiple pics; I'm too excited~

Comments (16)

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another...

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

still another.. sigh.

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is the about the *worst* purple-y pic of it on Help Me Find! sigh again.

Listed parentage is unknown x 'KORzaun' a glaring red. ?

This post was edited by Laura2424 on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 18:37

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Wow that is stunning, thanks for sharing. I love it when I find something that gets me excited! The color of red is beautiful, and it's fragrant, sounds like the total package.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Since I dislike red roses I can definitely tell you that you don't need it. Okay, that's not fair to you and I have to say the shape of the rose is beautiful. I really like the last picture because it has more of a purple color which I really like and don't consider red at all. In the second picture the red looks almost orange, so the rose may change color in different climates or different times of the year. My soil is alkaline and even roses like The Dark Lady looked bright red instead of the deeper, more purplish color I was after. If your soil is more on the acid side it may be more in the purple range.

Since you like it so much it must be frustrating that it's not available here. I wonder if someone could suggest a rose from here that's very similar to this one.

Ingrid

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Two come to mind which you may wish to investigate -- 'Olde Romeo' and 'Velvet Fragrance'. I have the latter, and am watching for when the former becomes available at Rogue Valley Roses. Note -- they list it as 'Old Romeo', and it's one of their "hidden gems" which hasn't been assigned a class, so doesn't come up when searching for Hybrid Teas. I found it when I was searching for "dark red" of any class.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 18:40

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're lucky you like purple-y ones, ingrid! :) I love red roses that lean orange but are still definitely red, like so many people seem to these days. And l can't help notice that illustrators of old books, long before these colors of roses really existed, often did too :0

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I misunderstood, not realizing you preferred the orange-leaning reds. Personally, I prefer the blue-leaning reds, so I'm not sure if the two roses I mentioned would be your cup of tea.

:-)

~Christopher

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Christopher! I've never seen those ones! That 'Olde Romeo' is the most appealing dark red I've seen, and now I want 'Velvet Fragrance' too. I'm purposely not putting what zone I'm in, for this thread :) It's nice to avoid reality sometimes, ha.

On that note, look at this picture from Google: it's a perfect Romeo and Juliet!!! (Yes yes I know Juliet is an Austin florist rose...)

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, overlap! So the Velvet Fragrance is the normal fragrant red like Chrysler Imperial and so on?

Actually I see on Help Me Find that Fragrant Cloud is a parent, interesting!

Boncrow, isn't it fun to learn of new roses?!

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

(I see there are a bunch of threads about Velvet Fragrance, just copying a picture here from Chuck Billie if anyone wants to see it here)

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, those Romeo and Juliet roses are actually made of frosting! Not such a bad idea lol!!

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AND I thought I'd add my favorite picture of any red rose, this one of Red Riding Hood Fairy Tale, a picture from Palatine..

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses. I love red roses in a garden because nothing add excitement like red roses. Botero is a perfect. However is it disease hardy at all?

I really like the colour of Red Riding Hood. However, I am not sold on the flower shape. It is an interesting shape though but not one of my favourite though. Then again, I have not actually seen this rose in person, so it is hard to say.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

Hi Laura,

..I have this red in my garden...do you like it, or maybe not?

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Laura, the 3rd picture down is gorgeous. But you only want it if you have dreaded Japanese beetles. One main flush.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists