Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

All finished up!

seil zone 6b MI
10 years ago

I finished winterizing the roses and the yard today.

{{gwi:342202}}

{{gwi:342203}}

{{gwi:342204}}

{{gwi:342205}}

{{gwi:342206}}

Street bed is chicken wired to keep out the rabbits.

Bird feeding station is ready to go.

And the patio all cleaned up.

Now I can decorate for Christmas!

Comments (13)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

You are a dedicated (and organized) rosarian.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Arrgh, I am so jealous. I'm still cleaning up and was at it this afternoon, half frozen, when it started to rain. So, here I am on the forum playing. Happily, I don't have to go through all your protection measures, seil, because I don't have any potted roses. What hoov said above is so true. Diane

PS--Arctic originated storm coming on Tuesday--I can't wait.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Amazing! You have worked your "bucket" off! You are more than ready for what ever winter brings. Great work! Lesley

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Lucky roses to get your TLC. Show us your pretty winter wonderland when it arrives.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

So neat and tidy looking. I can't stand looking at a mess all winter.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I don't know about dedicated, hoov, I think more like nutty, lol!

Hope yours get yours finished, Nana, before the arctic mass arrives!

Kitty, I hope we do get a winter wonderland. Lately we haven't gotten much snow at all. If I could really rely on a good snow cover I wouldn't have to do as much protecting.

I'm the same way, Susan. It's bad enough that winter is gray and gloomy without having to look at a big mess the whole time.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I would be so lost in a zone where you have to do all that!

People would have fun telling me what I needed to do and watching me do crazy stuff just cause someone told me.

That looks like a ton of work! Congrats on being done

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It isn't so bad, Kippy. We did it in two stages this year and that helped. Moving the pots is the hardest part. The burlap and leaves goes really quick after that.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Great work!

My burlap and leaves look about the same (though my beds aren't nearly as extensive - yet!), So as a newbie I find your pics reassuring, seeing as how your posts are always so knowledgeable and well thought out!

Bring on the holiday cheer!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

seil, your roses are lucky to have you; it's obvious you know what you're doing and I'm very impressed. It's supposed to get to around 36 degrees here at night when the cold front arrives but that probably seems like nothing special to you. We've never gotten temperatures this low until late January so this is another atypical weather phenomenon.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I agree with you about the atypical weather, Ingrid--it's been a weather pattern of extremes the past year for us, too. Extra cold January, cold spring, and then the early arrival of one of the hottest summers on record; then boom, on comes a cold fall. Now we expect weather in the next days that seems like early onset January, as far as I'm concerned--lows of 10-15 degrees, and I'm actually worried about a couple of roses. I've never done winter protection, and I've never lost a rose to the cold. We got bumped up to zone 7 a few years ago, and now I think we're reverting back to zone 6. I'm not happy about that. Diane

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great job Seil!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, redwolf!

Your roses should be fine at 36 degrees, Ingrid. That will hardly slow them down. You really don't get much damage until the temps get down around 25 degrees.

Diane, the teens will do some damage but if it's not for a prolonged period your roses should survive it. We get weeks of temps in the teens in January and February and that's what can cause a lot of cane die back.

Thanks, Jim!