Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The new Austin releases are available online

Posted by amberroses 10a-Pinellas Co.FL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 17:04

David Austin-USA just updated their online catalog. I really have no more room.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The new Austin releases are available online

Boscobel and Tranquility are the two to get.

o

Caldonbeck,

I just pulled up the new catalogue. Both roses are magnificent. Is there another that has blossoms similar to Tranquility? The site says that it is a musk. Are they all shaped like this?

andrea

o

Oooh, if only I had more space! I like all the new ones except Lark Ascending.

Tranquility looks like it had a perfectly shaped bloom.

Jubilee Celebration better shape up this spring cuz I think I'm already seeing her possible successor!

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Austin's New Releases

o

I wish DA would release the lineage of his new intros. If he did , that might help us determine their suitabililty to specific North American climates. The prices are rather steep for a rose which might or might not survive in one's yard.

o

I saw those this week. Heathcliff and Tranquility, okay, I'm done. Those two will do…lol. I notice 'Healthy' and 'Vigorous' in the descriptions. Well, if David Austin is not burning the midnight oil, trying to come up with a disease resistant rose, I would be very surprised, seeing as nurseries can't fill up their catalogs fast enough with the Kordes roses.

o

Royal Jubilee and Heathcliff are tempting, but so are munstead wood, England's rose, and lady of shallot.

o

Love them! Want them! Need them!

o

What I found to be a little disconcerting is the website had no reference for the mature size of Royal Jubilee???

Lynn

o

Lynn,

Would it really make a difference if they did list a theoretical size? hehe (still trying to figure out what to do with my 6 foot tall canes of Bishops Castle and Lady of Meggenich-thinking they will wrapped around a pillar and a bird house plopped on top. Both are in the front of the beds cause they are listed as smaller)

o

Regan is selling these, better price :)

o

Kippy-the-Hippy,

Well, I usually take what they have written and add a couple of feet and am usually, always hopefully, in the ball park. If they write it can climb to 8', I know to give space for 12' but, I know what you mean:).

Realistically, "my eyes are bigger than my stomache". Once I receive the roses on order I am done. I have no more space left :(

Lynn

o

Apparently their virus policy has changed.

"Our roses are grown on virus free root stock and inspected regularly throughout the season for the presence of virus. While we cannot guarantee complete freedom from virus, in the very unlikely event of you receiving an imperfect plant, we will, of course, replace them free of charge. Simply phone our toll-free number to request a Replacement Form and it will be mailed out to you right away. Your kind feedback will assist us in identifying and correcting occasional problems."

----------------------------------

If anyone has recent copies of their catalogues, can you tell us when the policy was last changed?

Here is a link that might be useful: link to present virus policy

o

Tranquility blooms are all like the pic, they are large but unscented. It is too healthy if that makes any sense, too modern looking in leaf. Boscobel is a more vibrant Jubilee Celebration, it is a small Alnwick Rose sized shrub. JC is so slow to get going, boscobel is quicker. Royal Jubilee is just sitting here in my garden, hasn't grown, is a weak rose but it is an Alba and they do take some time. The blooms bleach badly on RJ.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 20:22

Thanks for the helpful comments caldonbeck. Good to hear from someone who has had some real-world experience with some of the ones new to us.

o

According to HMF, Royal Jubilee is about 4.5-5 ft tall; Tranquility is about 4 ft tall; Heathcliff is 3-5 ft tall.

Don't know if those are accurate, but that is what HMF lists.

Kate

o

Royal Jubilee is supposed to be big but mine not got going yet. I don't like Heathcliff, stiff upright stems with a few flowers on top, not a good look.

o

Somehow I omitted (above) the height for Boscobel: a little over 3 ft tall.

Evidently its blooms aren't very large? I'd like more info. on this one--it intrigues me.

How about bs-resistance?

Kate

o

Kippy, I've kept Bishop's Castle at around 3 1/2 feet for at least three years by pruning it rather severely in the winter and cutting way back on the stem when I deadhead or pick flowers for inside. It doesn't seem to hurt its health or bloom production and it has almost no disease.

Ingrid

o

re Boscobel. I never spray new releases (until I know how they perform), just because I'd rather not spray if I don't have to and it has remained clean. I don't think I'd call the flowers small, they're smaller than Jubilee Celibration say but bigger than Queen of Sweden. It is an interesting rose colour wise, we had a warm summer this year and it was more orange, I'm expecting it to be slightly more pink in cooler weather. I can see it becoming one of those roses grown by most people who grow austins, if that makes sense, another munstead wood.

o

Thank you, caldonbeck, for the additional info. on Boscobel.

I'm out of space for new roses, but just this morning thought of another open spot that could hold a smaller Austin--like Boscobel--just maybe. I'll have to mediate on this a bit, but yes, I'm responding to it like I did to Munstead Wood (which I'm mad about!).

The main thing I'm wondering about now is the orange shades in hot weather. Got lots of hot summer weather here and I'm not usually partial to orange.

Must think some more about this--but anyone who wants to add more info or pics, please do in the meantime.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here