Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dove_song

A rose you've just gotta try for 2015?

dove_song
9 years ago

Ok, it's been arctic blast, bitter cold here so I'd like to know what you all have decided to order for spring 2015. Especially so if you are ordering just one. I've ordered the floribunda PURPLE TIGER for next spring to muse upon, and 'jolly me through' this winter. Of course I won't get it until next year, but just thinking about an exciting new rose to try ought to help, eh? ;) I've heard sooo many 'negatives' about this rose, but I don't care! It's the anticipation of this rose...

And you?

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 17:13

Comments (33)

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aaaaand here's a HMF link photo. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Tiger rose photo courtesy of Henrique Rodrigues

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I guess I've been VERY fortunate. The ones I really wanted to try have been made available as bud wood and are almost all successfully budded. Several aren't commercially available, so self propagation is the only way to obtain them. Good luck with Purple Tiger. It IS a pretty flower. It's a shame it couldn't be produced by a decent plant. Kim

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I agree, Kim, that it's a shame that such a pretty flower couldn't be produced by a decent plant.Thanks for your input. Very happy to hear about your successes!!! God bless. :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 17:55

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I think I'm going to have to try this new Neil Diamond that's coming out for next spring. I love stripes anyway and I've heard some good things about this one already. Other than that there are a few that I lost last winter that I really missed this season so I may do some replacing. A lot will depend on what happens this winter though. If I lose a ton more like last year I may just say uncle and stick with the hardiest ones and grow fewer roses altogether. Not only was it heart breaking but it was also back breaking and bank breaking to have to dig out and replace so many roses last spring.

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Seil, I'm so sorry that you went through your heart breaking and also your back breaking and bank breaking experience of having to dig out and replace so many roses last spring. :( Hoping for the best for you if you try the new Neil Diamond rose this coming spring!!! :)

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And yes Neil Diamond looks and sounds like a great, striped rose to try. Plus according to HMF it has a sweet, strong fragrance. Here's a photo of Beth's for anyone curious about what it looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beth's Neil Diamond at HMF

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

I also ordered Neil Diamond. Then I ordered firefighter.

• margaretmerrill
    9 years ago

I also ordered Neil Diamond. Then I ordered firefighter.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Four Crescendo's will be heading to my garden this spring along with two Royal Amethyst. I already have a ton of new fall roses from K&M and Wisconsin Roses. Will also be ordering more roses from K&M next spring.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I plant in the fall because of the heat and the drought (hoping for that winter rain) and so have already received Charles Rennie Mackintosh and then impulsively ordered two more Souvenir de la Malmaison because it's my best rose and I'm desperate for more bloom in my dry garden with its lovely decomposed granite soil.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I am interested in the "pretty in pink " eden climber ! It looks lovely . I also plan on trying harlekin " kiss of desire ". They are my top two must haves this year . Of course I wlll be ordering more , but those two are calling my name ! :)

We should make sure to post an update on these next summer ! :)

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. I so much agree with you, Lily. We should make sure to post an update on these next summer! This is really fun!! :)

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for responding!! Lily, over time I HAVE heard some concerns, and complaints that folks have had with the beautiful rose Eden, but the photos of it are VERY lovely. Eden photo for the curious rosarian or gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eden rose photo courtesy of member J. Dengler

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also I've looked for roses of this similar coloring. While looking I found this rose AMAZING GRACE. I love soft coloration! Ok I'll admit that I love roses in every color. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Laura's AMAZING GRACE at HMF

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's an even clearer photo of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sahin's Amazing Grace aka Myriam at HMF

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Two I'm very keen on trying next year are Cafe and Mlle. Blanche Lafitte. None of the new releases for 2015 that I've seen are personal must-buys yet, but that may change.

Jay

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

I got Amazing Grace this summer! I only saw a couple of blooms (we get JBs so bad, and my plant is still a baby), but I really like her so far :)

I was going to say that I'm looking forward next spring to my bands from this year starting to take off more, and that includes lovely Amazing Grace!

My rose budget has to go for exterior paint and things now (exciting new colors while I repaint, tho!), but I might try to arrange some trades that could excite me :D Those wouldn't be any new releases or anything, but they'd be new for me or replacements I've been wanting.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

A love-it or hate-it. 'Charles Darwin'. My verdict, next year.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Queen of Sweden is the rose I am most excited about trying in 2015. I love the pictures I've seen and I have read many good comments about it and hope it will prove to be a good rose for me also.

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

I've got to get my hands on more South Africa (Golden Beauty). What a color and fantastic plant!

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Melody Parfumee

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

Choose just one? Say it ain't so!

Hehe.

I'm really hoping to get DA's 'Munstead Wood' this year!

Of course, there are a handful I'd like to get that are sentimental favourites for me because my grandparents had picked up several different ones for me over the years such as Fragrant Cloud and Medallion.

Steven

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Tom Carruth spoke about the updates at the Huntington at the local rose society last night, he had nice things to say about Neil Diamond.

Having just bought a crazy number of roses to get in the garden before "the rains" I am not really looking forward to many to buy, but to watching the babies grow and bloom. And to starting cuttings for the garden and to share. The latest was a few China's from Burling along with a couple of others. I have gone back and forth as to what to do with an area that is blah and decided to let it be swallowed up by Susan Louise and Forestville Gigantea (Senateur Amic per Vintage) I am pretty sure these two will do it.

I also got Roseville Noisette because of the wonderful things I have heard about it.

Not on her list but she had a Papa Gontier (for the Nabonnand area)

The china's are Slaters Crimson, Cramoisi Superieur, White Pearl in Red Dragons Mouth and Xiang Fen Lian.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I forgot about the HT, Shug. I received it in the mail yesterday from Wisconsin Roses.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Dove song , sorry I didn't get back to this sooner , busy work week ! :)
    I have a baby eden plant that is going to be 2 next year and it hasn't given me blooms yet . But there is a new intro this year called pretty in pink eden . It looks like a nice bright pink rose , and I love the shape of the flowers ! I know eden gets a bad rap but I'm gonna try it ! :) I also am going to read about " amazing grace" . Love the name and it looks beautiful !

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lily, I have been so busy too! :) I HOPE you have lots of fun trying Pink Eden. Just like you I love the name "AMAZING GRACE". And boy do I need love and mercy . I looked up the word "grace" on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and loved the meaning of it. Also I love your name you use here on the GW. It reminds me of my BELOVED who is a sweet aroma to me. Have a blessed day! :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 11:03

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken-n.ga.mts, Kippy-the-Hippy, Steven--MiGreenThumb, Mauvegirl, Amandahugg, Sara-Ann, Iris_gal, Meredith_e, Jay--ArbutusOmnedo, thanks so much for for your additional input on this thread. I very much am enjoying this!!! :)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I have a few ordered for spring, but the one I am most excited about is Poseidon. Neil Diamond is one I probably will add, also.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I think any rose that has a good chance against BS!

I always go crazy for the latest D.A. roses first but I don't see a lot of new variety being sold in my area (Canada). So I will have to see what I can get on my hands first.

However, I think I will move to other breeders this coming summer. I love D.A. roses but I find that the colors in general are too pale in my garden. I love the scent but I need more vibrant colors.

Therefore (please don't laugh) I have composed a list of more than 100 roses based on the recommendations by you guys on this forum...lol. I will decide what to buy depending on what is available this spring.

• dove_song
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol, most of us are probably flattered, JJPeace. And over the years I've spent sooo many hours here looking for suggestions of roses to buy for the next spring. As for the DA's I have loved many of them in my backyard garden. They tend to be easy to grow in my semiarid zone 6b garden. But, due to majorly downsizing the roses I grow in the backyard I only have Belle Story left out of all of them that I tried. I still think David Austin roses are WONDERFUL. But I'm having lots & lots of fun with the more vibrant colored roses in my front yard.

Thanks, Kentucky_rose! Hope you are happy with what you decide to order and your rose(s) end up doing well.

• lynnette
    9 years ago

I was hoping to get a few of the newer Austins but Hortico is the only place in Canada that you can get the Austins on Multiflora. All other nurseries get them from the States on Dr. Huey. Now it seems that they will only be carrying a few of the very old and a few of the not so newer ones. I think Mr. Austin has got nasty with them in regards to royalties.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

That would be a very interesting piece of information to find out about, Lynette. Remember, it was Hortico who "introduced" so many of his earlier roses in to North America, prior to obtaining any licensing from him and selling them to the US. That is why all those varieties were sold under their breeder's code names, such as AUSpat, AUStamora, etc. Once they've been introduced, there is a finite time in which to patent them and recoup any costs through royalties. Hortico jumped ahead of him by selling them so the only way he could benefit from their sales was to trademark their names so a retailer would have to pay to use those names. The roses could be sold under any other name you wanted, without paying any royalties, but if you used the trademarked names, you owed Austin royalties. I heard stories some years ago about a very "heated" face-to-face Mr. Austin reportedly had with the head of Hortico about that very subject. It would be QUITE interesting to know the back story whether Hortico's decision not to offer the newer types had anything to do with that issue, or if they simply chose not to offer the more expensive types as Pickering and others have. Kim

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Yes old Hortico did get thrashed by Austin but that wouldn't slow them down. I suspect ( but do not know) that they may be budding Austins when they get them from other nurseries. The father (Jan) carried roses because he loved them and had many types, plus the unusual. I must be more appreciative of that fact. My garden had many of the tried and true from Europe and Denmark. Now that he has allowed his two sons to take over management, they seem to be culling many of the shrub type roses and just having the hybrid teas and those that do best in colder climates. Probably a good decision business wise. This year I placed a large order and it still feels like one is dealing with the three stooges. Very disorganized and confused. I know the rose business is dying so I am trying to send as much good budwood to Palatine or if Pickering opens again, to them also. But again with Pickering, it was the fathers love of roses, not his sons.