Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Does anyone grow Cl. America?

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

This is a picture of Climbing America that I took in September. I came across it last night when I was looking at the rose pictures I took over the summer. I am falling in love with this it, I didn't know it could be this lovely, I've had it for several years and it finally decided to do its thing. I am looking so forward to it blooming profusely. Does anyone have full bush shots and comments about this rose. Earlier in the season I had posted another picture of it and said it had escaped being shovel pruned, because it finally decided to bloom. Right now I am in awe of it.

Comments (17)

• henryinct
    10 years ago

It may be beautiful but it is very weak and wont thrive in your zone. You don't want a climber that gets killed to the ground every winter. And BTW that picture makes it look pink but it is really salmon-orange.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

I have a $9 one I bought last year. It is growing well. Bought I am in zone 9.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lynn - I would love to see your picture.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I had a beautiful one in Santa Fe. It was on the north side of the house in considerable shade, but protected from wind. It was one of my best roses there. And I found it to be very fragrant. I've tried twice to grow it here in SW VA and it hasn't thrived, eve tho the winters are about the same. It is prone to blackspot, which wasn't a problem in NM, and perhaps it doesn't like the clay soil and/or the humidity.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Really? Mine hasn't had any blackspot here in Galveston and we definitely have the humidity for it.

• anntn6b
    10 years ago

I grew mine in Houston, also on the north side of my house where it got some sun from April through October.

Here a friend had three large Cl. Americas that where on the south facing fence by their swimming pool. She sprayed religiously and they did well but never were massive. The color of the blooms though looked really good next to a swimming pool. She lost all three to RRD.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I grew mine for about 20 years and then lost it to RRD about 4 years ago. I still miss it. Never much disease, but I do spray during prime disease time. However, it only tolerated my heavy clay soil. 50% of the leaves would develop brown blotches and fall off by mid July every year. They would regrow and it rebounded for a fall flush. Can't help thinking it would have been even more vigorous if the soil had been better. I spent years trying to figure out why the defoliation, no disease seemed to match the symptoms. Then someone on this forum many years ago had the same problem (discriptions and pictures matched mine) and took it it to a lab. The soil was the problem. Dolly Parton reacted the same way to heavy clay soil. Can't tell you what rootstock Cl. America or Dolly was on, but since they were bought locally, most likely J&P, I'm pretty sure they were Dr. Huey. Some roses seem to deal with it better then others.......Maryl

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Glad to have this info about America. Sounds to me like it's a fairly good rose. Almost every rose has a few issues, it just depends on whether a person likes it enough to put up with it. I know occasionally there may be a rose that doesn't thrive at all in a certain area. My America has taken several years to get going, but now it seems like it is finally getting established, I don't want to get rid of it now, I want to see what it does. I posted a picture that may be closer to the color Henry is talking about. The other one does look kind of pink. I like it either way.

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I saw Cl. America doing reasonably well in Connecticut (6b) growing next to a house. However, I still suspect that in a bad winter even there it would be killed to the ground. I had it for many frustrating years during which it was weak like Joseph's Coat and Golden Showers and many others that just can't handle cold. For me it wasn't worth it so I got rid of them all.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann,

My America Cl. looks different in terms of the color, it could be climate or soil related???? The rose in my posting appears in person, exactly the way it reads on my screen, so not as pink as the way the images I see posted appear on my screen.

My husband transferred the photo across the network and I cannot find it. When he gets home I will have him re-send it or show me where it is so I can post it.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 22:36

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

I've grown a climbing America since 2009. It grows on a trellis, next to a shade. It does not really climb. I tied it to the trellis. Not the best location considering sun exposure (maybe 5-6 at best).

I'm in zone 6 a. It's never died to the ground, possibly because it's protected from cold wind by the shed. It gets black spot by mid summer. I don't spray.

I admit I've given it little care. It blooms on and off from spring to fall. The color is definitely salmon, not pink. Mine has no fragrance but a stunning bloom form. It's a show stopper when in bloom.

It's a keeper.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Found it.

Lynn

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lynn, very beautiful. Looks like it has lots of petals!

• amandahugg
    10 years ago

Folks in Dallas have a plant that's over 30 years old. Still productive and vigorous. Great fragrance. Have you seen the pastel pink sport called Pearly Gates?

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

I had obtained it soon after it was available (in the 70s) for my northern Ohio garden. It did not give me very many blooms per season. It was not exactly a climber. Each year I thought it had died over the winter but it came back for around 5 years. My garden was no spray. I do not remember much, if any, blackspot, but that was too long ago to be sure. I do not remember any hips or success with its pollen. I wrote it off as another very pretty flower, but a stingy, weak plant. I do not remember virus symptoms; but, because of the date, it probably was virused and that could go a long way in explaining the differences between my experience and those in warmer climates.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments. Amanda - I looked up Pearly Gates, it is gorgeous, certainly worth considering.