Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyw5

Late blooming roses

A few still blooming here, should all be done tomorrow.
White Out

Comments (30)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cream Veranda
    Showing pink in the cold weather.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yellow Brick Road

Original Author
    9 years ago

Easy Does It

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I am smitten with Cream Veranda. My bush usually looks pretty good but good gravy yours is gorgeous as is all your other bushes too. Great job. Gotta love the late bloomers!! Judy

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow that's a nice compliment. Thank you Judy.
    Pomponella near the end

Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that I can grow all of these roses no spray.
    My Hero
    This picture was taken a month ago but she still has blooms. despite what my camera shows this rose has dark rich cherry red blooms

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful Patty, glad you shared!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll stop with this picture. Roses amaze me these two grow with about 3 hours of sun. right behind the last rose is a steep slope down into the ravine. I had all rocks there to help keep ground from washing away. Like any obsessive gardener it was to much empty space to ignore. Had nothing to lose so stuck a piece of Sunrise Sunset and pink Flower Capet in there. Poor SS is a little flatten by a fallen tree. They have done well for 3 years.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sara Ann, I've been looking at wonderful pictures here for very long time and have greatly enjoyed them all. Just never brave enough to show mine. I'm not exactly great with a camera. Thanks for looking.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Your roses are beautiful patty! Please share as many as you'd like. I'm always amazed with beautiful bushes in a no spray garden. Judy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Your roses look great!

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

You're roses look great. Mine are done. The few scattered blooms are all mush.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Prettypetals, I'm amazed every year by these roses. It was however to get rid of those I had before. They're not all fancy roses but I love them.
    Hoovb, every time I begin to grumble about how it never rains here in summer anymore. My thoughts turn to you western gardeners and how hopeless you must feel at times. Straightens me up right away. However compared to how are weather used to be hear xeric plants could be the wave of the future. Mine die in winter as midwestern soil holds to much moisture.
    Thanks ken-n.ga.mts, I have been lucky enough in the past to travel a bit in the US. When we went to Georgia my first thought was how on earth do people garden in this rocky soil. I'm spoiled with this midwest soil. Never met so many nice people in my life. So friendly and polite as thou we entered a different country. Nice place to live.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kardinal Kolorscape
    Despite what my camera shows this is a dark rich cherry red. No orange tones or blueing. A beautiful bush that looks if she will resemble Cream Veranda.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Your roses are beautiful and the foliage looks great! You are lucky to still have roses in zone 5.

Original Author
    9 years ago

kentucky rose,Their goners now the arctic air has arrived 32 degrees or less for next ten days. Bring on spring.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Most of mine are finishing their second year with me (most coming as bands in Spring 2013, except as noted below), but the ones still with a few blooms now are:

'Abraham Darby'
    "Bermuda Spice"
    'Clotilde Soupert'
    'Eugene de Beauharnais'
    'Georg Arends'
    'Golden Buddha'
    'Happy Child' (came this year as a band)
    'Mme Laurette Messimy'
    'Napoleon'
    'Nigrette'
    'Perle d'Or'
    'The Prince'
    'Purple Skyliner'

Thursday night we're expected to go down to 31F (our first frost). Friday and Saturday nights go down to the high 20s. So I'm thinking I might cut one last bouquet of the survivors tomorrow. Sadly, rose season is finally coming to an end here.

:-(

Ah, but the promise of Spring to come!

:-)

~Christopher

Original Author
    9 years ago

Red Flower Carpet photo taken earlier in the year
    Poor thing is growing in the shade of the hydrangea. Doesn't grow or flower as it does in sun. Yet she is still healthy and always has flowers. Another plant maybe better suited to the spot but it's to find one that stays healthy for the whole season.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Christopher, Thats what I did yesterday. Their in a large bucket I have kitties that don't allow fresh indoor flowers. They either pick out the flowers to play with or knock over the vase to drink the water. Bet they can't knock over that bucket.Those are beautiful roses that you grow. Best of luck to you and your garden.

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 22:19

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Wow, I'm really loving this, Patty. Thanks for sharing these. lol, MY HERO is my husband, and I'm really smitten with him. The dark, rich, cherry red blooms of yours would seem to me to be grand!

And we have kitties too so I KNOW what you mean. :)

This post was edited by dove_song on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 15:58

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

Patty omg your Cream Veranda is huge! In a zone 5 no less! I had no idea they got that big-- I really consider moving mine if it gets the hope to grow as large as yours.

Beautiful roses, thanks for sharing!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dove song, What an sweet thing to say. Makes for a good marriage and thank you as well.
    Ninkasi, Kordes roses are all over the map for me. Don't know what to do sometimes. Now I call where I'm ordering and ask if they grow them and what might I expect. When I ordered Lions rose I tucked it in the front border. Well it grew 5 feet tall and 5 feet wide. Not lanky long canes but a strong full healthy bush. It was moved in the back that fall. Every time I past by her I whispered did any one tell you big your supposed be. Didn't know Pomponella was going to 7 by 6 feet either. Not complaining these are gorgeous shrubs with lovely blooms. Thank you so much!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Innocencia
    This sweet thing should stay tiny.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm coming soon.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Please believe me I fertilize these guys one time. In spring they get milorganite, alfalfa meal,cotton meal, jersey sand and epsom salt. The rest of the year they get leaves and straw. I know I should give them more. I'm always afraid them might lose their nice growth habits. Wish I knew.

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Patty,
    Beautiful late season roses! I think the only rose in my garden with a few blooms is my Fairy rose and John Davis with a few blooms holding on for dear life. Any suggestions for a red groundcover rose - I see that you're in my rose Zone - which helps big time. :-) P.S. We also got some snow, but it was a very light dusting. Phew..

Original Author
    9 years ago

bellarosa, The only disease resistant dark red groundcover rose I've ever found was Red Flower Capet. It will mound to around 2 feet and spread to a 3 or 4 foot circle and all ways covered with flowers thou they are single. I'd love a rich dark red version of Sunrise Sunset if breeders could do that. First dusting of snow here as well. Thanks

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Wow patty !! I'm so glad I got to see these pics . And you have such a beautiful garden !
    Is your cream veranda an own root ? I saw it on chamblees and want to order it but sometimes own roots take so long to grow for me.

Original Author
    9 years ago

lilfinch, Yes she is own root. All of my roses are own root. Got her when they were called Flower Circus roses so she's been hear a long time. Own root seems to be the only roses that have grown well here. I've had dr. huey multiflora and a third one can't recall the name. When shovel pruning they all had roots not much larger than when they were planted. Pomponella could not be found own root back then. She put down her own roots a long time ago and abandoned the multiflora. Had to move one and the graft was just laying there unused. For me least own root gives me good strong roses that seems to better handle what mother nature can dish out. Years with to much rain, no rain, frigid weather and so on. Sorry for being long winded.

This post was edited by pattyw5 on Fri, Nov 14, 14 at 10:25

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996