Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Suggestions for orange climbing rose.

caflowerluver
11 years ago

And I mean a true orange like the fruit, not russet, or salmon or apricot, or peach or amber or ??? I have Joseph's coat which has a shade of orange to it along with yellow and pink. It can be a new or old rose but am looking for a climber. Pictures would be great.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (12)

• jerijen
    11 years ago

This is "Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange," a climber thought perhaps to be 'Royal Sunset,' which was collected by Rusty Rolleri, in Angel's Camp, CA. I think the Historic Garden volunteers may propagate this one for the April Open Garden and Sale.

I like this a lot. If you're interested, I can post an image of the plant, in full bloom in the Sacramento City Cemetery.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I had one for a while called 'Paprika' that was fairly orange, though on the reddish orange side. It was kind of meh, I got rid of it.

'Royal Sunset' is gorgeous, and fragrant, but it's fairly apricot around here.

Pinata has some orange in it, but it is a blend like J'sC

Here is a link that might be useful: pinata @ helpmefind

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I checked Weeks and Stars websites, star listed "Orange Crush"

Looks more red than orange, but might be one to check out

• TNY78
    11 years ago

There's always Westerland...

Others that I grow: Orange Elf, Oranges n Lemons...

Tammy

• nastarana
    11 years ago

Heirloom Roses has an orange sport of Altissimo named 'Christine'. I think they have at least one and maybe two orangish climbers from John Clements' breeding. Portlandia is one. Ginger Syllabub is a fairly new orangish climber from Harkness. Heirloom and Vintage both carry it.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will have to look them up and read about them.
    Clare

• elks
    11 years ago

There's a Warner, climbing miniature rose from the UK that I don't know is available in the US called Warm Welcome. I love it because of its colour and fragrance.

I also agree with Royal Sunset and Westerland.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Welcome

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Jeri, if you're still following this thread, I would love to see the entire plant in bloom.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Here you go, Florida. :-)

This (like the image of the bloom) was photographed in April, in the Historic Rose Garden of the Sacramento City Cemetery.

Jeri

• leezen4u
    11 years ago

We grow Oranges n' Lemons and it's 9' tall in it's first year. It's a very bright orange striped rose.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF Oranges and Lemons

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am writing them down. I have Oranges n' Lemons, which I love, in the smaller bush form. I don't know if it is suppose to be that way, or the fact I keep it pruned. It does like to send out very tall shoots.

Jeri - Is "Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange," an OGR? Pretty rose though I wish it was a little darker orange. Where is the April Open Garden and Sale taking place, Sacramento?

Clare

• jerijen
    11 years ago

"Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange" is a modern rose. A suggested identity is 'Royal Sunset.'

The April event is in the Historic Rose Garden, within the Historic Old City Cemetery, 1000 Broadway, Sacramento, CA. The Open Garden always takes place on a mid-April Saturday. (The 2013 date has not yet been announced.)

I believe the photos posted here were taken at Open Garden, April, 2011.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Rose Garden, Sacramento City Cemetery