Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for orange climbing rose.

Posted by aptosca CA9 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 19:13

And I mean a true orange like the fruit, not russet, or salmon or apricot, or peach or amber or ??? I have Joseph's coat which has a shade of orange to it along with yellow and pink. It can be a new or old rose but am looking for a climber. Pictures would be great.
Thanks.
Clare

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for orange climbing rose.

This is "Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange," a climber thought perhaps to be 'Royal Sunset,' which was collected by Rusty Rolleri, in Angel's Camp, CA. I think the Historic Garden volunteers may propagate this one for the April Open Garden and Sale.

I like this a lot. If you're interested, I can post an image of the plant, in full bloom in the Sacramento City Cemetery.

Jeri

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 21:14

I had one for a while called 'Paprika' that was fairly orange, though on the reddish orange side. It was kind of meh, I got rid of it.

'Royal Sunset' is gorgeous, and fragrant, but it's fairly apricot around here.

Pinata has some orange in it, but it is a blend like J'sC

Here is a link that might be useful: pinata @ helpmefind

o

I checked Weeks and Stars websites, star listed "Orange Crush"

Looks more red than orange, but might be one to check out

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 22:46

There's always Westerland...

Others that I grow: Orange Elf, Oranges n Lemons...

Tammy

o

Heirloom Roses has an orange sport of Altissimo named 'Christine'. I think they have at least one and maybe two orangish climbers from John Clements' breeding. Portlandia is one. Ginger Syllabub is a fairly new orangish climber from Harkness. Heirloom and Vintage both carry it.

o

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will have to look them up and read about them.
Clare

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 2:32

There's a Warner, climbing miniature rose from the UK that I don't know is available in the US called Warm Welcome. I love it because of its colour and fragrance.

I also agree with Royal Sunset and Westerland.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Warm Welcome

o

Jeri, if you're still following this thread, I would love to see the entire plant in bloom.

o

Here you go, Florida. :-)

This (like the image of the bloom) was photographed in April, in the Historic Rose Garden of the Sacramento City Cemetery.

Jeri

o

We grow Oranges n' Lemons and it's 9' tall in it's first year. It's a very bright orange striped rose.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF Oranges and Lemons

o

Thanks again for the suggestions. I am writing them down. I have Oranges n' Lemons, which I love, in the smaller bush form. I don't know if it is suppose to be that way, or the fact I keep it pruned. It does like to send out very tall shoots.

Jeri - Is "Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange," an OGR? Pretty rose though I wish it was a little darker orange. Where is the April Open Garden and Sale taking place, Sacramento?

Clare

o

"Rusty's Angel's Camp Orange" is a modern rose. A suggested identity is 'Royal Sunset.'

The April event is in the Historic Rose Garden, within the Historic Old City Cemetery, 1000 Broadway, Sacramento, CA. The Open Garden always takes place on a mid-April Saturday. (The 2013 date has not yet been announced.)

I believe the photos posted here were taken at Open Garden, April, 2011.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Rose Garden, Sacramento City Cemetery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here