Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Healthy Home Lee

sandandsun
10 years ago

Look, I'm entitled. Yes, I am. I'm entitled to poke a little fun if I want to do that.

Well, I do.

There's a post on the Rosebreeders' forum, in which the esteemed Dr. Byrne of Texas A&M writes:

"Cultivars such as Knock Out and Home Run have resistance to multiple races of the fungus conditioned by dominant resistance genes so if you cross these with a nice hybrid tea you have a chance of getting a resistant rose out of the cross. With the resistant source I am using you are more likely to increase the general resistance of your population but probably will not get one with high resistance and wonderful horticultural traits...somehow the most resistant ones in the progeny have the least inspiring flowers."

Please Note: Dr. Byrne NEVER says that "the least inspiring flowers" come from either of the roses named above, rather "the resistant source." The thing to note here is that Dr. Byrne never casts any aspersions in the direction of those roses. Understood? OK.

Now, My translation:

SOMEHOW, the most resistant ones have the ugliest flowers. We get some healthy ones alright, but well, they're usually just plain homely - what can I tell ya?

End translation.

Begin MY commentary:

Well, I know I wouldn't be expecting great beauties from 'Knock Out' and 'Home Run.'

With all due respect, I mean really, those two are pretty and all, but they aren't paparazzi hounded gossip column material.

Comments (3)