Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Roses at the NYBG's Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden

sandandsun
10 years ago

Another thread reminded me of my enduring respect for the rose work being done at the New York Botanical Garden.

The link below is to a post about the rose garden and includes a slideshow of some of the rose garden roses. It is recent - Nov 6th, 2013.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delicate Longevity

Comments (16)

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A June 18th, 2013 post about fragrance in the rose garden:

Here is a link that might be useful: Life is Rosy: Hardy & Fragrant

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A NYBG post about their Earth-Kind trials from June 2012:

Here is a link that might be useful: Be Kind to the Earth

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Nice articles... Thanks for sharing...

• amandahugg
    10 years ago

It would be interesting to see pictures of the actual garden rather than just bloom close-ups. Haven't heard if they hired Peter's replacement after his retirement. Under city management, it could suffer. Let's hope not.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing this. I hope I get to see it in person one day.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Well, I have to say that I've visited the NYBG rose garden and was not impressed one bit. There was a time when you walked up to the garden and you could smell the fragrance a distance way- not so anymore. They changed over a ton of roses and I'm afraid, not for the better. The only interesting ones left are the DA's, Francis Meilland and a handful of others, that's about it.

A longtime member

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't feel bad. I was never impressed before they made the changes. The roses never rivaled the peonies, IMHO, for instance.

One reason that I felt that way might have been that the rose garden was just that - only roses, while the peonies were planted relatively near other plants and so there was more a sense of a garden.

As contradictory as it sounds, a rose garden is not a garden. It is a monoculture or "a collection" at best.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

surya55, so sorry to hear that you've been disappointed with the changes. I've never been to the NYBG and I'm hoping to go next year. Actually, when I was looking around at the NYBG blog, I was really jealous of all you New Yorkers, who can visit there any time and take advantage of some of their programs.

I am sure I would feel disappointed to find such a change. I guess I have to look at it more long term. The rose industry has had to correct a series of wrong turns that were made and 'right the ship' so to speak. I see this as an adjustment period. Now that so many breeders are working on better roses that don't require chemicals, I think we will see more and more great roses with the fragrance you are looking for, eventually. And just think how much healthier everyone will be and especially the workers who would have had to use the chemicals.

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justs so's we knows how ugly the rose garden is, I thought I should link to at least one photo of it. This one is from June of 2013:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:343646}}

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This photo, from June 2011 - about a year after the new installation, shows part of the layout of the rose garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:343648}}

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The photo collection on HelpMeFind:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I have to admit--there is something a bit boring about this garden. Not sure why.

Kate

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

It looks like they have some beautiful roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tour of Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden

• User
    9 years ago

What is appealing depends on the audience. For an experienced rosarian who is well versed in the rare and exotic, their selection might be bland. But for a visitor like me, who wants to get a sense of what roses generally do well in a non-chemical intensive way and in an ordinary home garden, the Rockefeller garden serves its key mission well (i.e., educating the general public). Yes, a whole bed of Summer Memories (as they are doing now) might not that exciting, but it does serve its purpose well. The garden is not shy about making clear where t stands in terms of rose selection. One sign sings praises for disease resistant roses, and guess whose name goes first among the breeders that got honorable mentions? Yes, Mr. Radler of the Knockout fame.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

But remember -- again -- that "Disease Resistant" is relative.

Those knockout roses are considered "disease resistant," because they appear to be resistant to most types of blackspot.

In my part of Southern California, where blackspot is a very rare visitor -- they mildew.

So one area's disease-resistant rose is another area's fungus-ridden disaster.

Jeri

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, Jeri, it is so difficult/problematic to generalize. Location seems to one of the key words, as always....

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone