Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

Does anyone know where to get the rose Dakota Redwing?

I found this rose on Helpmefind and am in love with it, but I can't seem to find any place that sells it! Does anyone know where to get it?

Comments (54)

• trospero
    9 years ago

@Rosecandy:
    Please email me privately for more info at:

trospero "at" gmail "dot" com

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

This rose was in the CCRS Auction last year. I believe that Kathy Strong was the winner. You might also ask her about some cuttings.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trospero, I'm very cautious about sending strangers e-mails; would it be possible for you to give me more info on this thread?

It looks like there's no patent on the rose, so I just might do that nsdjohn! Do you know how I can get in contact with her?
    I want to wait until Rogue Valley has a chance to e-mail me back, but if I have the trouble Trospero's getting I'd like a second option.

• nsdjohn
    9 years ago

If you search for: California Coastal Rose on this site, Kathy's info will come up. BTW, I'm not sure you realize this, but trospero is the breeder of this rose.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Rosecandy, trospero is a highly respected member of the rose community and just happens to be the hybridizer of the rose that you seek. I would not hesitate to send him an email.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Paul -- that's awfully nice, and a spectacular color. Pretty foliage, too.

I just hate that there are now so few nurseries . . . We're going to lose so much, through lack of distribution.

Jeri

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Paul -- that's awfully nice, and a spectacular color. Pretty foliage, too.

I just hate that there are now so few nurseries . . . We're going to lose so much, through lack of distribution.

Jeri

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh goodness I had no idea! I'll definately send him an e-mail then!

• nancylee2
    9 years ago

I tried for this one at the CCRS auction. Hope it is available this year...and I can try harder. It is such a beautiful rose!

This post was edited by nancylee2 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 0:32

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

trospero I sent you an e-mail.

Nancylee2, if it does end up at auction I wish you luck in winning! Oh and I sure wouldn't mind a rooted cutting *wink wink*.

• trospero
    9 years ago

@Rosecandy: I have not received any email from you. Please verify the address you used.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure how to verify my address without giving it away to everyone reading this, so I'm trying again to send you one.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

My goodness, Paul - that is one exquisite rose, and you have quite a number of terrific roses to your name beyond this. We'll all keep bombarding RVR and see if we can get that one more widely circulated. It definitely needs to be in commercial production.

Cynthia

• trospero
    9 years ago

Thank you Cynthia. By all means, pressure RVR to provide plants of it! I know they should have built up some inventory by now. You should inquire about 'Carolyn Supinger' while you're at it. (Yes, named for that Carolyn Supinger, who was for many years the general manager at Sequoia Nursery, and a dear friend of mine)

'Carolyn Supinger' an unusually fragrant purple miniature.

{{gwi:343688}}

• jerijen
    9 years ago

OMG!

Carolyn certainly deserves her own rose, and this one looks worthy of her. I like the pedigree, too!

RVR has it? I'll inquire.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Carolyn Supinger' at HMF

• trospero
    9 years ago

Yes Jeri - its in the hands of RVR now. Its a shame Carolyn never got to choose one of Ralph's roses to bear her name, but things don't always work out they way they should. Still, I think this is a nice rose in a unique hue and Carolyn loves it, and that's the important part :-)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes. That IS the important part.

I'll order it -- but, I think, after the first of the year. I'm going to have a little surgery, so I'll be hors de combat for a period. No point in saddling Clay with more roses to care for!

Nevertheless, I really have to grow Carolyn's rose. :-)

Jeri

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I'm very interested in Dakota Redwing.
    Is there a wait list? It peaked my interest prior to this thread.
    Since it was unavailable, I never pursued it.

• trospero
    9 years ago

Dakota Redwing as it appears in early Spring and in the Fall:
    {{gwi:343690}}

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Wow very nice!

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful photo!

RVR hasn't e-mailed me back, so I called them today and asked about the rose. They said it might be available in spring, 2015. Considering the same thing was said about this year I'm not going to hold my breath.

9 years ago

I agree Rosecandy - I think we need to be a little more active to help RVR make this rose available. Given the tight market of any rose company these days, they need to make sure they have at least a minimum number of buyers to put some new roses out for production. I know that someone did this with Heirloom for a rose they really wanted, and they replied that they'd put it into production if they had X number of orders for sure. Rosecandy, since you've already called them would you ask them how many orders would make this a sure thing for at least the next calendar year? We might be too late for spring 2015 to get big enough plants, but for THIS rose, I'd be willing to wait. Already we have 4 or 5 from this thread (me, Rosecandy, NancyLee2, MauveGirl8, and Jeri if she's looking at both or just Carolyn). BTW, I checked RVR's website and Carolyn isn't listed that I can find, so we could make the same request for both roses since I definitely want them both. Good TRUE purples are almost an impossible dream as far as roses go.

Paul - any sense yet how hardy Dakota Redwing has been? Even if it's a shrinking violet I simply HAVE to give it a try, at least once I wipe the drool off my keyboard, but she has good bones in her for hardiness. Midnight Blue is hardy without any particular trouble for me, and you've definitely improved on even that delightful shade of purple. How about rebloom? I only get one good bloom from Midnight Blue plus an occasional flower here and there in the fall. It's worth it - I just always want more.

Cynthia

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Wow! Carolyn Supinger is such an unusual mini! In the best way, of course. I can always find room for a mini and I'd make room for this one. It would be so pretty blooming beside Softee.

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
    9 years ago

Ebb Tide is close. I have Ebb tide. It is hardy.

• Terry Crawford
    9 years ago

If these roses are as hardy as 'Dragon's Blood', 'Jeri Jennings', and 'Oshun' have proven to be here in Zone 5 without any winter protection during last year's relentless minus 20F polar vortex temperatures, these two purple treasures should be stellar. I would be most interested in adding both of these to my gardens if RVR would propagate.

• trospero
    9 years ago

"Paul - any sense yet how hardy Dakota Redwing has been?"

Very hardy in my experience. Last winter we had the same horrifically cold snap in early winter that actually killed 85% of my container-grown roses in the greenhouses. 'Dakota Redwing' (the original plant from seed) was also still growing in a pot (albeit a large one!) and it not only survived the sub-zero temps, it had only tip damage to the canes. I was genuinely shocked to see how sturdy it was after that frosty insult. I would take that as an indicator that it is likely to be quite hardy in most US gardens, but bear in mind that my account is just a single data point, of course.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nippstress I'm very busy until next Monday. I'll try to make time on Thursday to call but if someone else wants to call before then please do and let us know!

9 years ago

Hi Paul

That's very good news about Dakota Redwing - tip hardy in a spell of sub-zero temperatures in a pot is a good sign indeed. Leave it to you to breed a rare true purple rose that not only repeats and looks gorgeous, but is hardy to boot. Kudos again - we'll see if we can get RVR to offer it!

Rosecandy - thanks so much for being willing to ask. Since you're willing to call, we're grateful to you and not picky about timing. If I were impatient I could do so myself, but I'm socked in myself through November at least. We'll see what kind of enthusiasm we can muster here on GW when we hear what the target needs to be.

Terryjean - thanks for the comparative info on those Barden roses in your zone 5. That definitely gives me the nudge I needed to replace those in my yard, since I've lost each of those at least once in my yard so far. In particular, I've killed Jeri Jennings three times by trying to treat her as a hybrid musk in that relatively unprotected part of my yard, and she has refused to come back in the spring in that location. Fortunately the real Jeri is alive and well, as are other plants to try again. All three of those roses will be replanted in the sunny spots in my yard and should be fine, as yours have been. In particular, Dragon's Blood is one that gets VIP treatment since the russet is to die for - it did last a year or so in my yard but gave it up last year in the brutal winter.

Can't have too many Barden roses!!

Cynthia

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay I talked to the owner or RVR today and she said she's defineately planning to introduce Dakota Redwing spring 2015, assuming all goes well with the crop. She believes it will sell out fast and reccomends anyone wanting it should put it on their wish list or sign up for their newsletter.

As for Carolyn Supinger (they have it under Carol Supinger), she hopes to have it introduced in the summer to early fall 2015.

She said they've been fighting drought and other issues, so she doesn't know for sure if they'll be able to introduce these roses, but if all goes well her plan is to introduce them at the times mentioned.

Edit:
    I meant to say she doesn't know for sure if they'll be able to introduce the roses NEXT YEAR. She does plan to introduce them as early as possible.

This post was edited by Rosecandy on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 13:28

9 years ago

Thanks so much for asking, RoseCandy! Looks like I need to get my wish list set for this one, and I already get their newsletter. I'm excited to get my hands on this wonderful rose, and I really appreciate your efforts in communicating with RVR.

Cynthia

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 years ago

Any news of any success getting Dakota Redwing or Carolyn/Carol Supinger?

• romogen
    8 years ago

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! I would like a 'Dakota Redwing' & 'Beautiful Anne' as well. I honestly don't understand RVR's propagation schedules. I've been waiting over 8+ years (no kidding) for them to sell 'Great News' but no, instead RVR and every nursery out there would rather propagate Zephirine Drouhin or Queen Elizabeth for the masses.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Sheila, do you live near the Rogue Valley Roses nursery? Do they allow visitors? Maybe you could "pop" by and inquire for us. Dakota Redwing looks beautiful.

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, Jasminerose, I am close. I will try to see what I can do. I am a bit afraid to bother them or get too aggressive because I know they work very hard and aren't really a "display" garden. They invited me to look at the "Spring Bloom" last spring and I didn't go because I really worried I'd come home with another 25 roses more than I could handle. This Spring I'll make plans to go, with a call first for best time, and inquire about some of these rose treasures. Dakota Redwing does look wonderful. Cressida, Carolyn (Carol) Supinger, Rook all look irresistible. I'll post what I learn.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

Thanks! I've purchased several roses from RVR. I appreciate that they grow many of the harder to find varieties.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    7 years ago

Letting you guys know it's already on the market - https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/dakota-redwing
    It looks very beautiful.

• romogen
    7 years ago

FYI, it grows big fast with good architecture. Rebloom is rather slow even with deadheading. The color is brick red in high heat with little if any bluing, and the blooms only last about three to four days on the bush.

• Va Joh(zone8b)
    6 years ago

I ordered this rose too and while romogen has that experience with this rose he lives in zone 10 where its a lot hotter than where I reside. I live in 8 like trospero and have a part shadey area so as to keep that darker color. Usually those types of roses do better and keep their color in a more shadey area of the garden and thank goodness it's shade tolerant as well! I can't wait to see how it does!

• Va Joh(zone8b)
    6 years ago

Wow how gorgeous Shiela! Thanks for those pics. I love that color saturation and it looks like you put it in a partly shady area too? I don't really care if it always has a blue tint to it because the color saturation is beautiful and has so much depth. All roses go through different colors in different weather so that doesn't bug me one bit if it doesn't constantly look purple. I love a rose and its evolution through the seasons. That's like "one of those roses" huh? Love it and am now super excited to get it going once it arives. How long have you had it? The bush looks great btw!

6 years ago

I have had it since last Fall, Va Joh. This is it's first Summer. Very healthy!

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

Shelia....any updates on this rose? I'm thinking about getting one...

4 years ago

I do love mine, Rosylady. It is so healthy, fragrant and a beautiful color. I got mine at Rogue Valley Roses and it is listed as in stock ATM.

• joeywyomingzone4
    4 years ago

Wow what an amazing rose! Wish I could grow it here!

4 years ago

Paul says the best color might be in a bit of shade. Mine is full sun, but I love the color.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

Wow Sheila, that's such a pretty rose...and the bush is pretty too. Would you say the red is an orange-y red or a purple-y red?

4 years ago

I'd call it crimson here, Rosylady. In more shade it gets more purple I think Paul reports. Not orange y.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Great pictures Sheila you should put them on HMF as they don't have any Bush shots.

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I do like whole bush shots too, Vapor. I added to HMF.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    4 years ago

Excellent Shelia....thank you for the in depth report!