Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Older vs. newer

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Even though I've been growing roses for quite a few years, because I wasn't involved with them in recent years I have been out of the loop as far as knowing what some of the newer, really outstanding rose varieties are. Of course I know about Julia Child, that would be hard to miss. But more in the line of the hybrid tea and grandiflora types, what are some of the really good ones? I'm used to roses such as Queen Elizabeth, Folklore, Miss All American Beauty, Tropicana, Double Delight, Perfume Delight, Bewitched, Sweet Surrender, Love, Pristine, Peace, Tiffany. These roses have all performed really well for me and there are others too, but I don't need to name them all. I would like to know which newer varieties are as good or better than some of these.

Comments (20)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

You might check out Red Intuition (a striped red from Palatine) and Peter Mayle (a shocking pink BIG bloom) and Elina--whitish/pale yellowish blooms--big bush. I don't grow many HTs, but those have been excellent in my garden.

Kate

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Twilight zone, Tahitian sunset, serindipity, easy living, easy going, grande same. All bloom their heads off.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Dick Clark is my favorite newer HT. The blooms are a little bit on the smaller size but it m akes up for that by blooming it's head off. It has pretty good disease resistance and is hardy for me. One of the few highly hyped new roses that actually lived up to it's ads.

I've also been loving my new Love Song. Gorgeous huge blooms and lots of them, better than average disease resistance too. But I don't know about hardiness yet because I only got it this spring. I'm hoping though!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Kate, KingCobb and Seil for these suggestions. Seil, yes I have Love Song too, so far I am very impressed. And I have some other newer varieties also. I am just so used to the old standbys, which I like, but I love the look of some of the newer ones and just want to know which ones are really good performers. I think Dick Clark is really a pretty rose, glad it does so well for you. Kate, I've wanted to try Peter Mayle and Elina both, thanks. KingCobb that Taihitian Sunset is lovely. Hope to get some more good suggestions.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

grande dame not grand same.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assumed it was Grande Dame, we all make typos.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I have a few (?) newer ones floating around here. Tineke, Gemini, Let Freedom Ring, Remember Me, Moonstone, Twilight Zone and a florabunda that should have been clasified as a grandaflora, Shelia's Perfume. See if any of those strike you're interest.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken - I have ordered Moonstone, does it do well for you? It's a beautiful rose. I have Sheila's Perfume, it's a good rose and I have Let Freedom Ring, had some lovely blooms, I think it's going to do good for me. I noticed KingCobb mentioned Twilight Zone too, must be a good one too.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Some have an issue with Ebb Tide and/or Twilight Zone burning up or not blooming well.

Here on the Texas Coast they bloom their heads off.

This is Ebb Tide.

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

Here is twilight zone. I get bigger flushes from Ebb Tide, but Twilight throws bigger darker blooms and Ebb is a year older.

• andreark
    10 years ago

I have a Pope John Paul that was planted 6 months ago and blooms like crazy. The foliage is good and bushy and the fragrance lovely and strong. It also lasts for a very long time on the bush or in a vase.

Ken-n mentioned Gemini. Healthy, good foliage, blooms fairly often, and flowers last well on bush.

I also have Firefighter that is only 6 months old. Bush isn't as full and healthy as PJP, and it also doesn't bloom as much, but it's gorgeous and has a great fragrance.

My two favorites are older ones. You have one. Pristine and Brandy are fantastic, , in different ways. Pristine is my ideal as a blossom and Brandy lasts sooo long on the bush. Both have great foliage.

Have fun,

andrea

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. King-Cobb, nice pictures of Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone. Andrea, I'm going to have to try Pope John Paul II, I want a really good white. My JFK looks really healthy, but only bloomed twice. It had quite a few blooms both times, but I want something that produces more frequently. Someone had mentioned on this forum that their JFK was doing really good this year, maybe there is hope for mine. I want to try PJPII anyway, it looks like such a beautiful white. I might have to move my Firefighter, it gave me two lovely blooms this year, but I loved them and their fragrance is something. else. I think Brandy would be a good one too, it's really a lovely rose.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

I had a gorgeous Pope John Paul bloom today - I would photo it tomorrow...but I am going to Tyler to Chamblees....cant wait! A red that I love is Alec's Red - smells just great and beautiful blooms. The McCartney Rose is a bloom machine and very fragrant. Honeysweet, a Buck rose, is an unusual color and big bloom. Carding Mill by Austin is a favorite. About Face is a beauty - my bush is huge and blooms lots. Dorcas, another Buck, is a real winner - always has blooms, hybrid tea form. Chuckles is a complete standout in my yard - in hot, full sun and is sort of a neon pink with a white eye - always in bloom and you can see it a mile away - Chamblees has it. Belinda's Dream is a perennial favorite......Sparkle & Shine is a pretty new yellow. Could go on and on......so many nice ones.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

As I understand it, Firefighter can take a few years to get going so if you think it should be a good location, you might want to wait and see. Once it gets a few years of roots, it leaps into production.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alameda - Those look like some really great suggestions. I checked some of them out, they all look great. I have considered trying Buck roses before, Honeysweet and Dorcas both look beautiful. About Face looks like a really good one and Chuckles looks very charming. Sparkle & Shine looks like a good yellow, it's lovely. Kitty, thanks for the advice on Firefighter, I'll give it a while to see what happens, it has been putting on new growth recently. So many of my newly planted roses did so good this season, I guess I got a little impatient with the ones that I felt should have performed better. I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions and advice, thanks.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann, Moonstone does fantastic in my garden. The first year it was planted it did OK but this year it did what I expected. I grew it in FL. so I knew what it was able to do. Will be adding 2 more this spring to help fill out my HT section of the garden. I also grow a HT called Brinessa (2 bush's). I like it a lot. Dusty pink blooms with foliage like deep green leather. It's very hard to find.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Ken-n - Brinessa is gorgeous, my kind of rose! You're probably correct about it being hard to find. I'm glad Moonstone is doing good for you, it really is beautiful, I love it.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I have greatly reduced my HT collection here. What I have left sounds like your collection: Sweet Surrender, Tiffany, Secret, Heirloom, New Zealand and Peace.

And one newer HT: Firefighter. This new rose is a strong grower and bloomer in my zone 6 garden.

• arjox
    10 years ago

KingCobb this roses are lovely... I fall love :)

Here is a link that might be useful: importer odzieży używanej