Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roses4kris

Easiest Roses for Zone 7

roses4kris
16 years ago

Which roses would be easiest (most disease-resistant) for Zone 7? I'm a new rose-grower and would like to go organic if possible so I'm interested in starting out with proven winners for this area (east TN). I'm open to any type or color rose but would like fragrant ones. Thanks for your input.

Comments (8)

• sunnishine
    16 years ago

I would suggest Earthkind roses. They are supposed to be very disease resistant and easy to care for. Some examples are
    Belinda's Dream - Carefree Beauty - Ducher Duchesse de Brabant - Else Poulsen Georgetown Tea - Knock Out - Marie Daly Miss Atwood - Mutabilis - Perle d'Or - Pink Pet - Pinkie, Cli. - Sea Foam - Spice - The Fairy.

• rosalita
    16 years ago

I am in middle TN and agree with Sunnishine. Belinda's Dream is super easy to grow with big pink , great smelling roses. Mine grew about 5x5 very quickly. I have Perle d'Or OGR , CL Pinkie, New Dawn and some knockouts that fit your description. All are mostly no spray although sometimes in the worst of the summer heat I do get some BS on Pinkie and Belinda's Dream but not enough that it looks too bad. Several on this forum also recommend Country Square Dancer( think that's the name) for our area. I have Mrs. B.R. Cant which holds up with no spray. Most of my HTs need spray in my garden.

• buford
    16 years ago

I'm a bit south of you, but am finding that I love teas (old fashioned teas, not hybrid teas). They seem to be much more resistant to bs which is usually endemic in my yard without spraying.

I have Marie d'Orleans, Franziska Kruger and Rosette d' Lizzy and they are all doing great. They can handle the heat and seem to be able to make it through our mild winters without losing all their leaves.

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I am a bit South of you but these are the easiest of my no-care roses. I don't spray nor do I have a sprinkler system. My roses are easy all the way around!! You can see my member page for a complete list, but these are the absolute easiest:

BelindaÂs Dream
    Blush Noisette
    Bonica
    Carefree Beauty
    Cinderella
    Climbing Pinkie (Thornless, often used as a climber, a must have for beginners)
    Country Dancer (a must have for beginners)
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Fellenberg
    Granada
    Green Ice
    Gruss An Achen
    Gruss An Achen--Pink
    Hot Cocoa
    Julia child (a must have for beginners)
    Knock Out
    La Marne
    Light Pink Knock Out
    Madison
    Marie Pavie
    Moulton Noisette
    Playboy
    Sea Foam
    Weeping China Doll (a must have for beginners)

The roses listed are a variety of sizes and petal counts. You can find pictures for each at helpmefind.com.

I don't spray for bugs or fungus.

Here is a link that might be useful: My rose pictures at Helpmefind

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Here are some roses that I do not spray and they do beautifully. I must add that my coastal climate is much worse than inland south is or could be, so you will get a lot more suggestions from TN rosarians, mostly in the tea and Noisette classes.

Climbers:

Buff Beauty
    Colette (Romantica series)
    Crepuscule
    Jaune Desprez
    Laguna
    Leonardo da Vinci
    Prosperity
    Papi Delbard
    Marechal Niel (but this one needs some treatment against botrytis and thrips)

Bushes:

Arethusa
    Belinda's dream (it balls in wet/very humid weather)
    Bride's dream (but the thrips eat this one)
    Clotilde Soupert (no blackspot but C.S gets powdery mildew that you can prevent with Wilt-pruf. Wilt-pruf is organic
    Caramel Fairy tale
    Devoniensis
    Duchesse de Brabant (more or less, it gets blackspot here but it does not defoliate and keeps blooming)
    Floral Fairy tale
    Folksinger
    Irish hope
    Perle d'Or
    Scent-sation
    Summer Snow

Probably could be grown no spray:

Our Lady of Guadalupe
    Kronprincessin Victoria
    Gruss an Aachen
    Papa Meilland (after the first 2-3 years; when it is established, it does well without spray)
    Princess de Monaco
    Taboo

So far it looks promising:

Jubilee Celebration

I am sure I could name a few more if I could go out to look around but IT IS RAINING AT LONG LAST!!!!

• geo_7a
    16 years ago

Except for a few rugosas I presently have (roseraie de l'haye, blanc double de coubert, moje hammerberg, snow pavement) and a species (rosa virginiana) I can only speak on a prospective basis on some roses I have ordered & will plant in the spring.

This was based on comments on the site, plus checking in some books (Taylor's Guide, Botanica), and also checking helpmefind & (somewhat) Longwood Gardens recommendations (based on which I hope to get Illusion, someday. Eroica looks like it might be a good red rose - Appalachian has this.

Anyway, some roses I'll be trying in the Spring (with priority being given to disease resistance & fragrance):

Folklore
    Earth Song
    Applejack
    Erfurt
    Nur Mahal
    Autumn Sunset
    Westerland
    Sombreuil
    Darlow's Enigma
    Konigin von Danemark
    Alba Semi-Plena
    Rosa moschata Plena
    English Miss
    The McCartney Rose
    Perle d'or (thanks for the recommendation, Olga)
    Morning Has Broken
    Violet Hood
    The Bishop
    Belle de Crecy
    Canary Bird (again, thanks, Olga)
    Apothecary Rose
    Captain John Ingram
    Ghislaine de Feligonde
    Traviata
    Deep Secret

I would, if you, consider very carefully Olga's recommendations & expertise in the matter for 6b/7.

Darlow's Enigma appears to be a winner everywhere-?

George

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Or you could visit my 500 roses east of Knoxville and see which ones still have leaves (and which don't).
    So far, the newer earthkind are unproven in East TN.
    Hybrid Musks, most Teas, most chinas, most noisettes, some polyanthas and some of the newer modern roses can live here without spray. Some may defoliate at midsummer, but most don't or recover quickly.
    I like George's list, but would leave off Applejack (a once bloomer for me, with two plants from different sources),
    Olga has slightly harder, longer winters, and it makes a difference. Longwood has a similar difference to our east TN growing conditions.

• cabrewer08_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Hi, I am in North AR. I am a beginner with roses, and I happened upon this thread. I was wondering what roses might be good for me. I have managed to keep my first rose, a Memphis Music alive for two years and I really want to grow red or yellow roses that kind of match in color.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022