Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Will this work?

marcindy
9 years ago

Ok, so thanks to Pat_bama I am going to shamelessly copy her combo of White Licorice and Julia Child for a bed in front of my house. And while I LOVE lemon meringue (that's what I call that combo in my mind) I thought why stop there... I could add more roses in slightly different colors.... sound familiar? :-)

So here is what I have so far... with room for a few more of your creative suggestions:

White Licorice
Julia Child
Folklore HT
Valencia HT

I also have Belle Story and The Lady Gardener on my wish list for Christmas, which could work with the other four roses....

Anyways, first, can you all with a much better developed color sense than me please tell me if the four roses I grouped in my mind will actually work together color-wise? I have never seen them in real life, only on pictures online. From the pics they seem to work together, so what do you all think? And how would Valencia and Folklore work with the other two? Is it too much of the same? Is Folklore too orangy for the group?

Or do I need a popping color in there? Like a cherry in lemon whip cream? Maybe not such a good idea?? Help!! :-)

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have all but White Licorice (hmm...may have to get that one!) and they should look very good together.

Julia is a true lemon yellow. She does fade a bit as she ages but never goes white.

Folklore is a medium orange on the pink side. No fade that I recall.

Valencia is a much softer yellow orange that doesn't fade.

I think it should be very pretty!

• susan4952
    9 years ago

White licorice did well in zone 5

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

I think you will be happy with the look (and smell) of the Julia Child/White Licorice combo. I have WL in the middle of two JC bushes with a medium purple dwarf crape myrtle on either side. Previously, I had an orange Gingersnap rose on either side of the crape myrtles for a pop of color and have a yellow Sunsprite further down on each side. Some lavender roses are at one end where it starts to transition from sun to shade. Perennial purple homestead verbena, annual gold narrow leaf zinnias and purple vincas are around all of their feet in summer. I removed the two Gingersnaps (a truly horrible rose here) and didnâÂÂt replace with orange due to too much color conflict. A couple of years ago, my DH insisted on putting a huge, concrete crimson A with a Big Al (elephant) on either side down by the driveway as a tribute to his beloved UA Crimson Tide. Umm, can you say redneck :) Anyway, trying to transition from crimson/white to purple/yellow really threw my color scheme for a spin. I donâÂÂt mind a color riot in most of my beds, but like a better flow right in front of the houseâ¦hence, no more orange roses there. IâÂÂm very behind on downloading pictures this year, but here a few I found:

From White Licorice down in May before the crape myrtles were blooming (yes, if you look close at far left in the picture you can see the top of our lovely âÂÂAâÂÂ. The driveway in the picture goes from the road to our pasture gate, and our Crimson Tide tribute is where the drive branches off leading to the houseâ¦lol)

{{gwi:343872}}

Another picture in May, from JC down in the other direction (I really need to move the hose before taking pictures...I tend to decide to take a picture while I'm watering and seem to capture the hose as frequently as the rose):

{{gwi:343873}}

You can only see one JC in this shot from July, but crape myrtles are blooming:

{{gwi:343874}}

• marcindy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for chiming in.

Susan, great standard.

Seil, thanks for the details about each of the four varieties.

Pat_bama, I LOVE those pictures, they inspired me in the first place to try the same combo in my front yard.

So, since this started to look good at least on paper, I went shopping online and found these additional roses I think will work together. They are:
    Julia Childs
    White Licorice
    Folklore HT
    Valencia HT
    plus:
    Pope John Paul II HT
    Elina HT
    Peace HT
    Moondance

All in the shades of yellow/cream/white plus the soft orange... thoughts? Also, how close would you plant the hybrid teas together?

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Of your new additions, I grow PJP, Peace and Moondance. Moondance and Peace will both blackspot terribly here if not sprayed, but I'm in a very humid climate with high disease pressure. All three are great bloomers for me. Moondance is a prolific, almost constant bloomer here and gets very big...probably wouldn't get as big in your colder climate, but it's at least twice as large as PJP for me (and blooms are a creamier white than PJP). Just wanted to let you know to keep that in mind when deciding on its placement.

Here are a couple of Moondance shots:

{{gwi:2121115}}

{{gwi:2121116}}

Not a great shot of PJP, but you can see part of one of my Moondances behind and to the right of PJP for size comparison of the two:

{{gwi:2121117}}

• msdorkgirl
    9 years ago

Just have to say, so pretty, I am loving the yellows and whites and somewhat regret all the pink roses I've bought ... I wish I had the land to plant in the ground, but containers will have to do since we're renting. And budget will only allow for the ugly black nursery pots :(

Off-topic somewhat, how do you get the pictures to not be terrible looking? The limit of 60kb makes my post pictures grainy.

Thank you!

• marcindy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again, pat_bama. I know that Peace get's some BS here in my climate as well. It's not horrible as in naked stems ground to top, but enough to hide it somewhat with a low perennial in front. I figured I can handle that problem with clever planting (at least in my mind right now..lol).

I thought I read on several threads here that Moondance was a fairly healthy rose. I wonder if it is like you suspected and your location has the wrong strain of BS or really high disease pressure... hmmm... does anybody else have experience with growing Moondance and could chime in, please? If it does BS quite a bit I might just buy two of several of the other roses I have in my list, instead of my usual one of everything...:-)

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

marcindy, Iceberg is a parent of Moondance. Iceberg is an absolute blackspot disaster here. Moondance is a much better rose in my climate than its parent, but still not one that could be grown no spray here...but there are very few moderns that I can grow no spray. Moondance & Peace are two that require more regular spraying than most of mine, though, so I thought I would mention in case you are in a high blackspot climate and don't spray. If Iceberg is healthy in your area, Moondance probably will be, too.

msdorkgirl, I'm not very photography savvy, so can't answer your photo question. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I just use my iPhone for all my pictures, upload to photobucket and use that html code to post them here.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

I have grown Moondance for years. It's one of my favorite roses. Almost never without blooms, the color is outstanding, it's rain tolerant, the blooms last a long time and remain fresh looking. Also a well balanced and attractive shrub as floris go. Until last winter it was over 5' tall and had always been one of my better winter survivors. Unfortunately, like most of my roses, it got hit hard by a spring thaw-freeze cycle and died back to the ground. By the end of the summer it was up to about 3'. Gosh I love this rose, I'm so happy it came back.

Anyhow, everything black-spots in my garden. Our climate is very humid and so I spray with Honor Guard. Even with spraying you can see which roses are more susceptible to BS; Moondance is about average.

(typo edit)

This post was edited by ratdogheads on Mon, Dec 8, 14 at 19:21

• marcindy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's really helpful to know. I have grown Iceberg in the past and it does get BS bad for me. I try not to spray at all, and am fine with some less than perfect foliage. Though this bed is in a highly visible area, which means I may break down and spray to keep things looking somewhat neat. On the other hand, if a rose is really susceptible to BS it wouldn't make sense to put it smack out front for all the world to see its nakedness.

Gosh, I hadn't counted on 5' tall in our zone... I guess I can still grow it, but it just moved more to the end of the bed, closer the 6' tall viburnum shrub. Thank for that info, ratdoghead!