Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickjoseph

Rose winterization

Any Rose people out there? I've had about a dozen or more rose bushes on our property for the last 22 years. Some of the years I cut the roses down to about shin height, and they always grew back fine. Then there was talk that one should not do that because it takes more energy for the rose bush to regenerate when cut down to low. So I did not cut at all prior to winter for many years. Yet this was a cruddy year for roses. Because of the cool, wetter weather--more disease (blackspot, rust). I figure if I cut the bushes down again like I used to do--that will get all these diseased leaves off. I just get nervous that if I leave the leaves on (too many to pick off) instead of cutting bushes down--will cause disease sooner in the Spring. Any thoughts? Thanks

Comments (7)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Roses should be pruned in early Spring and not winter...

Cutting them way down will only buy you alittle extra time before blackspot appears... Not sure if its worth it or not?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Don't cut them now. Wait until early spring. By that time most of those leaves will be gone anyway. The black spot spores are already in the air, soil and plants. It only takes the right weather conditions for it to show up. We had those conditions this past season and that's why you saw so much of it in your garden. If the weather is different next season so will be your black spot experience.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

I'm no expert but depending on the type of rose. I do it two different ways. Some have live cane after winter. Those I only trim down the long branches. Others like floribundas have canes that turn black by winters end. I'll go out and trim those to the ground on a warmish winter day. The crown stays healthier as far as I'm concerned. Thank you pappu, your the reason I tried doing that.
    As for disease, before going no spray I never ever saw a difference between stripping off the leaves or leaving them on. It certainly took forever to strip off those leaves. Unless you spray a disease prone rose will get sickly leaves no matter what else you do. Or we can try moving to a dry climate. Please know that's just my opinion. Good luck experimenting with the roses. Jim's a good gardener and been doing it for a long time.

• predfern
    9 years ago

Do not cut canes now. Roses store food in the canes and start dying at the tips in the winter. If you cut canes it is more likely your rose will die over the winter. If the canes are long and cause the rose bush to rock in the wind then tie the canes together to prevent rocking. To protect tender roses, put a few shovelfuls of top soil over the crown after the ground freezes (usually after Thanksgiving). Some experts say that blackspot dies over the winter so don't worry about picking up leaves.

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

In our climate, it isn't unusual to get a warm spell before the end of winter that causes the buds to swell at the top of the canes. If you cut the canes short at the beginning of winter, all those buds will die. If you leave the canes long, there are often buds lower on the cane that survive to provide vigorous growth when Spring finally arrives.

In particular, both Queen Elizabeth and Rio Samba(own root) had very poor seasons after dying back to the ground as a result of unseasonably warm weather in the middle of winter. May not matter for vigourous roses--Autumn Sunset routinely dies back to the ground--then comes roaring back.

This post was edited by zack_lau on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 9:24

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

The reason I'm able to cut my floribundas to the ground before spring is that there is never live healthy cane at winters end. Even those which do not appear dead have discolored centers when trimmed if I allow them to grow they will not have healthy leaves. They go down to the crown every year. The unhealthy canes don't provide food to the rose. So they are safe to remove in the middle of our ice cold winters. In spring feeder roots that have died will begin to grow. Canes will sprout again. Healthy leaves will feed the roots. The beautiful roses will be back.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

I've never had any luck with "tender" (many floribundas, most hybrid teas, some shrubs, etc.) roses in the ground; whether against a south wall exposed, or mounded after freezing weather with free-draining mulch, they always die back to the crown. Come spring, it's always prune down to those last few inches!
    My 'Papa Meilland' was a fantastic example of this, but came back very well each season I had it and was always around four feet tall by the end of July.

Interestingly to me, nickjoseph, is what a different type of Zone 5 climate you experience there in Wisconsin.
    Here in my south-central Michigan (southern most county very near Interstate 69) I had NO blackspot on my two roses I would suspect to have it the most ('Angel Face' and 'Mirandy'), and I have NEVER seen rust in my location (nor 15 miles southeast at my father's). Generally blackspot is the most prevalent fungal presence in my humid climate.
    This year's scourge for me was powdery mildew. 'Therese Bugnet' seemed to be heavily infected this season, beginning shortly after the new season's growth began (but after my main spring flush) and 'Mirandy' started showing signs and touches of it through September only.
    I did not spray this year except for washing down of plants with copious fresh water spray.
    My AF and Mirandy are my first-time pot experiments, and I love trying new things.

I suppose the best option, of course, is to select those wonderful, cane hardy varieties for us here in the Great North.
    I have found Rugosas and gallicas to be exceptionally impressive in this regard, and look forward to trying more classes of these roses.
    Interestingly, Westerland, which I often seen rated as hardy, always died near the ground for me in a southern, sheltered site. I ended up SP'ing this one.
    The once-bloomers are more than worth their place (especially if one has the room) in the garden during their one, extended, intense, and bountiful display of blousy beauty.

Steven