Gary M
10 years ago

Any one use chicken manure pellets. How did it work
Thanks

Garyt

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

I didn't know there was such a thing available - I love GW!

• Gary M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I seems to me it would be great stuff. Here is a link where it is sold. The vegi people say that it is too high in nitrogen

Garyt.

Here is a link that might be useful: manure

• saldut
    10 years ago

I use Black Hen all the time, when I can afford it.... it's great and the roses and veggies love it, I heartily recommend it...it's usually cheaper at a Feed Store instead of a Nursery supply...and comes in a small enough bag that I can handle, 20 lbs..........sally

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I live in an agricultural county. Until the last of the egg farms left, farmers spread the fields here with chicken manure yearly.

WHAT A SMELL!!!

I'll pass on Chicken Sh**

Jeri

• saldut
    10 years ago

Jeri, the dehydrated Black Hen has very min. smell, I use it all the time and it never bothered me.... the fresh stuff sure does stink however! LOL, sally

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

I use it once a year. Dried Poultry Waste is used in several boutique blends and the 40lb bags of pellets pooped and bagged locally are far cheaper than the blended fertilizers that tout it as the main nitrogen source. I mix it with Dispersul, bone meal and alfalfa meal at a ratio of about 5:1:1:2 and apply it directly to the root zone of the roses; not scratched in or left as a top-dressing. That cuts the stink, the rabbit and coyote invasion and digger critters. Mulching with pine needles and/or bark keeps the critters out, too. Of course, my metro-Phoenix critters aren't going to be the same problems for someone in a different climate or rural area.

The rate of application is also going to be different depending on what other fertilizers you use, your soil make-up, the age and size of your roses. I live in a 12-month growing season with alkaline, low-humus soils. I apply about 1-3 cups of the mix to mature, large roses and about 1/3 to 1/2 cup to potted and miniature roses.

Yes, chicken manure pellets are an excellent organic-based fertilizer. A lot of folks keep chickens for their poop and pest elimination. The pellets are simply dried waste. Wear a dust mask and washable gloves when you're working with it. Do not leave bags where they can get damp or wet.

• Gary M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your informative reply's. I will start using it in the spring. Moroseaz what is Dispersul? I tried googling it and find any information.
    Thanks
    Garyt

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

Dispersul is a locally manufactured chelated sulfur product. I add it with the bone meal (phosphorus) and DPW (dried poultry waste) because each product benefits from the others in our alkaline clay soil. Our soils can range from pH 7.0 and up. If you live in an area with a lower pH average and/or your garden has been amended with humus for quite a while, you can probably get by without additional soil sulfur. A soil test, even one of the simple pH kits sold at big box stores, can usually give a fairly accurate pH of acidic to alkaline. Knowing the basic composition of your local soil can eliminate the need to guess and waste time/money. Any amendment/chemical can throw off a well-balanced growing environment and you don't want to make your gardens toxic. I can't advise you on your local soil but the Master Gardeners, rose societies and agriculture universities in your area can give you a very informative overview...Google is your friend :).

A reminder that bone meal (phosphorus) applied as a top-dressing is pretty much useless since it stays where you put it and even when put into the soil should be applied as a 'clump', not mixed with other amendments or soil. Many soils do not benefit from additional phosphorus. We also add Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) and chelated iron... again amendments you may not need.