Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suekelly49

Best unfading pink rose and yellow rose

SueKelly
9 years ago

Hi,
Hoping you good people out there may be able to help me choose the best dark pink rose available....I want one that's healthy and doesn't fade. I'm also looking for a nice yellow rose that's healthy and doesn't fade.
These are to replace Peter Frankenfeld, which has been very disappointing, and Gina Lollobrigida, which, although not bad, does fade some. I would like the yellow to be nice and bright also.

Comments (22)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Well this could be tricky because I find it depends on the local environment. I live up in Canada so roses here especially the colour may be slightly different than where you live.

Hopefully other posters from Australia will be able to help you.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I always have to remind myself NSW means Australia! I'm in Southern California on the coast. It's frostless and usually in the 60s-low 80s. Julia Child is a good yellow that holds it's color well and is probably available to you. I've heard good things about the yellow Kordes rose 'South Africa,' but it goes by different names in different countries.

There are so many pinks, but I'm not too knowledgable regarding the darker toned varieties. I assume there are some lovely pink Clark roses besides Borderer, but I'm blanking at the moment. Perhaps consider one of the newer Austin pinks such as Princess Anne?

Good luck!

Jay

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

'Henry Fonda' is a very strong bright yellow and very little fade here in sunny CA. Lasts for bouquets.

I've been looking for a 'Fame' as my first dark pink. The one I saw retained its color and lasted a week after being cut.

Any preference for florib. HT or romantic-look?

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input. I live in a very temperate climate....never gets below freezing or rarely uncomfortably hot. Unfortunately Fame 98 is exactly the sort of rose I'm looking for, but it doesn't appear to be available in Australia!
    As for the yellow rose.....I've come across a nursery in Toowoomba, Queensland, who have bred one called Brindabella's Sunshine which sounds like what I'm after, but it would be good to get feedback from members.....trial and error is getting quite expensive!
    Just wondering if there's an Australian forum I should have posted in rather than this one?

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

There is a roses in Oz forum. Let's see if I can add the link here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses in Oz

• dove_song
    9 years ago

From experience Tom Carruth's MELLOW YELLOW hybrid tea REALLY held it's color up against my home in very high heat. Good bloom production for the 3 years(?) I grew it. During that time growing it I didn't detect fragrance, but then again fragrance gets lost in in high heat conditions. It was very healthy in it's semiarid zone 6b placing; the only reason I replaced it was to change the outdoor color scheme in that area. Hope this helps. :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: G Shellrude's MELLOW YELLOW on HMF

• dove_song
    9 years ago

Need to add that the coloration of MELLOW YELLOW is not at all mellow. It is quite bright! Hmm, I just searched for it on the roses in OZ forum and it's not there. Too new I guess. Sorry. Gold Medal has been a real good Grandiflora/HT here.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF Gold Medal rose photo courtesy of Maurice REYBAUD

This post was edited by dove_song on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 12:24

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link Kathy I've got on to the Australian forum and that will be very useful!

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input Dove Song. I'll chase up Mellow Yellow this end and see if it's available. If not, I may just stick with Gina Lollobrigida. Brindabella's Sunshine turned out to be unavailable as I'm not in their delivery zone. I think they sell cuttings and not grafted so it may not have been a good buy anyway.

• andreark
    9 years ago

I just looked up Oregold on HMF and the ratings aren't great. But I have a very different opinion. I live in the San Francisco Bay Delta area. It's warmer and drier than SFO.

My Oregold at 1 1/2 years was only about 15 inches tall and very wimpy looking. (I've told this story before) Some of the folks on the Forum suggested that I SP it. I wasn't happy about killing a rose, so I asked a local rosarian what to do. She said to try giving it an 'east coast winter prune' and cut it back to about 8 inches. So I did, and less than a year later it is 6 feet tall, very nice foliage, and some of the biggest blousy roses I have. They last extremely well, are a gorgeous yellow, and have a very pleasant fragrance.

I don't even particularly like yellow roses, but this one would change anyone's mind. She's gorgeous.

andrea

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Andreark, but as usual, it's not available in Australia?...nice rose though!

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

I heard Sparkle and Shine picked up a Gold Medal in Australia. It holds terrific color here and blooms a lot. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sparkle and Shine

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I have Sparkle and Shine (known here as Gold Medal), and for me it fades quite rapidly to a cream color. It's a great rose, but certainly in our heat it doesn't retain yellow for any time at all. Perhaps in your more temperate zone it would be different.

If Austins are available in OZ, Molineux always has a nice yellow color with an apricot tone and the scent is nice.

Cynthia

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Kind of a greenish yellow but what about St Patrick?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what's available for you. I know there are a lot of roses we get that you don't and vice versa. My best yellow is Julia Child. She fades a little but never goes to white. For pink there are many depending on what shade of pink you like. For a warm pink Queen Elizabeth held her color very well. For a cool, pale pink Quietness is very good.

• amandahugg
    9 years ago

Sparkle & Shine is not the same as Gold Medal, even in Nebraska. Julia Child is one of its parents.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

Three yellow floribundas that I have hold their color quite well. They are Golden Holstein, Goldmarie, and Shockwave. You might have a look at them.

As for dark pinks, Electron holds its color. It is also sometimes sold as Mullard Jubilee. Also, the DA rose Sir Edward Elgar has a bright, deep pink color that holds well. You might want to check these out.

• suesette
    9 years ago

Hi Sue
    I'm trying to think of a pink that doesn't fade in Melbourne, but there are few. Probably Flamingo and Queen Elizabeth are closest, but both grow very tall in my garden. The Childrens Rose is a pale pink to begin with, but doesn't fade.
    Gertrude Jeckyll doesn't fade and has a great perfume, but she''s not to everyone's taste.
    Gold Bunny and Friesia are very popular yellows here, but I can't vouch for their colourfastness.
    All those are readily available in Eastern Australia. Isn't our limited range of roses a pain?
    Sue

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input.......lots to decide between....I'll procrastinate a bit longer and get back to you.

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

a close up, this was a week old bloom that had some heavy rains.

• SueKelly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kingcobb, that is a lovely rose...reminds me of Diamond Jubilee which I have. I'm looking for an intense yellow/lemon...it's going between Outback Hero and City of Goulburn....one intense orange tones and the other pale orange/yellowy pink, so the colour needs to be homogenous to create the right effect. With all of the above suggestions I'm sure I'll get there in the end.