Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zidane_gw

moving roses across Canada/US border

zidane
10 years ago

We may be moving from British Columbia to Portland OR. Does anyone know about how I can legally take my roses with me. Mostly old roses, some bush roses, no HTs. I am willing to strip 'em down to bare root if that's what it takes. I just don't want to leave them to be neglected, especially my Mutabilis.

Comments (5)

• roseseek
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You will probably have to have Ag Canada inspect them and issue a phytosanitary certificate. They'll probably also have to be bare rooted with all soil washed from the roots. US customers can import from Canadian nurseries. What you would need certified should pretty much be what the Canadian nurseries have to have certified through the phytosanitary certificate. Good luck! Kim

• zidane
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kim, I'll look into it and post what I find out

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    10 years ago

Good Morning Zidane,

The import of plant material into Canada is currently reglulated by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Plant Protection Division (CFIA). I believe a decision was just recently made by the Canadian government to transfer Plant Protection responsibilities back to Agriculture Canada, but I'm not certain when that will happen.

Your best plan of attack would be to contact the Oregon Department of Agriculture and tell them what you wish to do. ODA will be the ones who inspect your roses and provide you with the required Phytosanitary Certificate for export to Canada. They will also know what the certification requirents are and what the Phyto must attest to.

Once you have things organized with ODA, I would suggest that you contact the CFIA in Vancouver and discuss things with a Program Officer with the Plant Protection Program in that office.

When you are ready to move the plants to Canada, you will have to present them and the Phytosanitary Certificate to a Canadian Border Services Officer. They may choose to hold them for inspection by CFIA at the border, or more likely let you move them through for inspection by CFIA at destination.

The good news is that no Import Permit is required between Canada and the U.S. I import roses from Oregon and other U.S. nurseries often.

The CFIA has an online web system called the "Automated Import Reference System" (AIRS). As with all things scientific regulated by governments, plant import requirements are complex. AIRS allows you to access requirements for specific species and types of plants from various places and determine admissibility and import requirements. I have inputed a search for roses, with soil from Oregon to be imported into British Columbia for planting. The result is pasted below:

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Refer to CFIA-NISC(must be accompanied by the following documents\registrations):•Phytosanitary Certificate

Importer / Broker Instructions

DOCUMENTATION INSTRUCTIONS

PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE
    - Obtain from Country of Export prior to importation.

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT

The Phytosanitary Certificate must accompany the shipment.

The material must be certified free from Columbia Root Knot Nematode (MELOIDOGYNE CHITWOODI).

1)The phytosanitary certificate must bear one of the following additional declarations:

"The material was produced and prepared for export in accordance with the conditions of entry specified in Quarantine Directive 82-01 of February 1, 1982."

or

"The soil originated in an area in which, on the basis of official surveys, Meloidogyne chitwoodi does not occur."

Requirements for European brown garden snail (Cornu aspersum, syn. Helix aspersa):

The Phytosanitary Certificate must list the following additional declaration: "The plants in this consignment were inspected and found to be free of European brown garden snail (Helix aspersa/Cornu aspersum)."

1)The material must be certified free from European brown garden snail (HELIX ASPERSA).

The phytosanitary certificate must bear one of the following additional declarations:

"The soil originated in an area in which, on the basis of official surveys, Helix aspersa does not occur."

OR

"Material is free of European brown garden snail (HELIX ASPERSA)."

1)Requirements for Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica):
    The shipment must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate indicating the state of origin, OR
    a U.S. Nursery Certification Program Phytosanitary Certificate OR
    Shipping documents showing a U.S. Greenhouse Certification Program label.

A Phytosanitary Certificate is required to accompany the consignment, containing the following Additional Declaration:

"This shipment conforms to 7 CFR 301.92 which regulates the movement of nursery stock for Phytophthora ramorum from the States of California, Oregon, and Washington." OR

"The soil originated in a production site in which, on the basis of official surveys, Phytophthora ramorum is not known to occur."

---------------------------------------------------------

Moving your roses across the border should be relatively stress free, provided you do you homework with ODA and the CFIA. Good luck.

Cheers, Rick

• rodwestwood
    2 years ago

They are bringing them FROM Canada TO the US.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@rodwestwood You're about 8 years too late.