Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ridiculously Healthy Roses here in zone 4

Posted by celestialrose zone 4/NH (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 27, 08 at 20:44

I grow well over 350 roses by now and as I add more each year I notice that I am not consistent in keeping up with
my spraying regimen. For most of my short summers here I have little problem with diseases until around August when blackspot becomes an issue. Now that all my roses have gone beddy-bye for the winter I am looking back over the past summers and recalling those roses which stayed 100% clean for me and rarely, if ever, were sprayed. In addition to their blackspot and mildew resistence, they were all vigorous growers and bloomers.

Here, in pictures, are those heroes of my garden. It takes
a great rose to not only stay healthy here, but to also
brave our zone 4 mountain-region winters and rally every
spring. Instead of closeups of individual blooms, I tried to capture whole bushes to show their qualities. These
were all taken in late August to mid-Sept. when most roses
here are looking pitiful.

Celeste

HEAVEN ON EARTH....surprisingly winter-hardy, I don't bother to give her any special attention and she barely
has tip damage come spring. She pumps out dozens & dozens of IMMENSE apricot blooms and her foliage stays glossy and green all summer. A light tea fragrance. One of my favorites and always an attention-getter.

heaven on earth

PRAIRIE JOY....this rose is under-rated, in my opinion. I don't understand why more people don't grow this rose....maybe they need some enabling? This rose needs no
winter protection and comes back fully each spring. It pumps out loads of pretty pink blooms and never has a speck of disease. And she is full and bushy without pruning.

prairie joy

MORDEN SUNRISE....Where do I start? I love this charmer!
The sunny blooms, the glossy & healthy foliage, its winter-hardiness, and even fat rosehips in the fall.

morden sunrise

QUIETNESS....if only she had fragrance, she would be a perfect rose. Winter-hardy, vigorous, everblooming, disease-free, and perfection of form and color. (sigh)
She is beloved by me. Here she is, after a rainstorm, a little bedraggled but still glorious.

Photobucket

ROSARIUM UETERSEN....this climber has consistently stayed
disease-free for years. The leaves are so thick and glossy they remind me of holly. It does have minor winter
damage but then again, I don't protect it. No fragrance, just huge clusters of long-lasting colorful blooms that light up my rosegarden. I am amazed by the lasting powers of the blooms. This cluster was 2 weeks old!

rosarium uetersen

RHODE ISLAND RED...one of the Brownell climbers. Huge, red
blooms adorn a climber with large healthy leaves. Gorgeous
and disease-free for me.

rhode island red

OCTAVIA HILL....why, oh why, is this rose so overlooked?
I very seldom hear of it. But she is amazing. She sends out dozens upon dozens of pale pink, Austin-like blooms in clusters, set among her super-shiny and healthy leaves.
Very robust and disease-free all summer.

octavia hill

THE GENEROUS GARDENER....This Austin doesn't seem to be very popular, maybe because the waterlily-like blooms shatter quickly, or maybe because this rose wants to be a small climber. And that's exactly how I grow it. On an obelisk, she grows to about 6 feet and the leaves are so shiny people have accused me of spraying something on them.
Surprisingly good winter-hardiness unprotected. Not a speck of disease, ever.

the generous gardner

THERESE BUGNET....the queen of my June garden. There is nothing but perfection from this rose. She is one of the hardiest roses on the planet and needs zero protection or coddling. She grows tall, with lovely leaves and scented flowers of pink perfection. Her canes are reddish for winter interest and she even sets hips. An elegant, no-fuss rose that everyone can, and should, grow.

therese bugnet

PRETTY JESSICA....OK, I have enabled many here into getting this beauty, but in case you missed it, you will want this rose! She is drop-dead gorgeous, her fragrance is strong and sweet, her form is compact & bushy, she is
healthy, she braves our winters with minimal dieback, she makes wonderful flower arrangements....she is perfect.

pretty jessica

MYSTERY CLIMBER....the tag said "Pink Queen", a Brownell climber, but I have researched and never found any rose by that name. Brownell did have several pink climbers, some only bearing number identifications. So I don't know the real identity of this lovely climber. What I DO know is that it is amazing. The leaves are so wonderfully healthy and shiny I use both the leaves and the blooms in arrangements. This rose has a very unique fragrance, so demure and sweet, like a fine perfume. Maybe someone can
identify it? Whatever it is, it is a keeper.

Photobucket

MOTHER OF PEARL....OK, the photo is blurry, but you get the idea. Loads and Loads of blooms, no disease. This and Pope John Paul II are my healthiest hybrid teas.

Photobucket

ANOTHER GREAT, HARDY AND HEALTHY ROSE THAT I DIDN'T PHOTOGRAPH, IS CHAMPLAIN. That is one blooming-fool of a rose! Cluster after cluster of bright red blooms, winter-hardiness, and good health. I am ordering another one for spring.

Celeste

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ridiculously Healthy Roses here in zone 4

Thank you Celeste, for these beautiful pictures. You have opened my eyes to a few I have never considered. Your roses are so lovely. Lesley

o

Unfortunately, Roses Unlimited does not have Pretty Jessica listed this year. I will buy it if it becomes available again. How is the fragrance on The Generous Gardener? I am also considering St. Cecilia.

o

Celeste, these are great looking roses.

Predfern, it is apparently an unintended omission on that webpage of Roses Unlimited. They actually do in fact have 'Pretty Jessica'. I also saw that it was not listed on that webpage, but I called them a couple of weeks ago, they informed me they did have it, and it arrived at my doorstep four days later. Give them a call ... hopefully they have not sold out within the last couple of weeks.

Randy

o

Hello Celeste - such beautiful pics of your roses. I am going to be ordering some climbers for the spring, and you've given me some great ideas.

Do you have any apricot or orange climbers that you can recommend that are hardy in your garden? Fragrance is not a requirement and I do spray. I planted Autumn Sunset this past spring, so I'm not sure how it's going to do yet since it hasn't made it through its first winter yet.

Thanks for any suggestions you can pass along, and hope you had a Happy Turkey Day.
-terry

o

• Posted by elks US5, Can6b (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 16:54

Many thanks, Celeste.
It is one thing to have a list, quite another to have bush shots such as you have provided.
Steve.

o

THANK YOU ALL for your comments! I am hoping I have enabled some of you!

Terry....to answer about climbers, the only apricot-colored climber I have is Alchymist and it is a beauty....very hardy, fragrant, and robust. This rose would be absolutely perfect if it bloomed more than once. I actually grow mine as a VERY large shrub but it wants to climb.
If you would consider a once-bloomer, than this is the rose for you. I don't give it any winter protection at all and its huge. Sadly, us cold-zoners are limited in that color range for climbers. I do grow Aloha, which is more pink, but mine takes on salmon-pink hues, although here mine is grown as a very tall shrub. It is likewise
very hardy and I don't protect it. For those who would consider a once-blooming white climber, Baltimore Belle
is a very hardy rose that will smother a pillar or arch in no time. The flowers come in profuse clusters and this is a no-care rose. Mine gets no special treatment and it does wonderfully. I believe Autumn Sunset should do well for you....good luck!

predfern....I would say that the fragrance of The Generous Gardener is a medium myrhh scent, not overpowering.

Thanks for your interest,

Celeste

ALCHYMIST.....

Photobucket

BALTIMORE BELLE, GROWN ON AN ARCH.....

Photobucket

ANOTHER VIEW OF ROSARIUM UETERSEN....

Photobucket

o

Thanks for posting those beautiful pictures. Prairie Joy and Quietness are on my wish list for spring. You already enabled me into Pretty Jessica which I love. I'm going to have to check out Octavia Hill now as well.

o

Celeste, you have certainly piqued my interest enough to make me seriously consier ROSARIUM UETERSEN. So, tell me more...does it bloom continuously all summer long? If you suffer from the dreaded JBs, do they ignore it or is it a JB magnet? I have Aloha and unfortunately they feast on it all summer long. How does and wide does RU get? An added bonus is the great winter hardiness.

That last pic was absolutely divine. I'm going into rose withdrawal and it's only the end of November.
-terry

o

Kristin....YAY! I'm so happy to hear you will be getting Quietness and Prairie Joy. You will be thanking me next year....LOL. Please consider Octavia Hill too....she is a great rose. I'm posting a couple more shots of Prairie Joy because she isn't that popular here (yet) and I think
cold-zoners should take another look. This is a very bushy & very hardy rose and really pretty.

Terry....I am glad you asked about Rosarium Uetersen and Japanese Beetles because now that I think about it, this is the one rose they don't seem to care for. Growing all around it are roses that are nearly stripped bare by the nasty creatures and it doesn't seem to appeal to their tastebuds for some reason. Now its possible that in someone else's yard this is the JB's favorite dessert, but
they don't partake of mine. It's funny how everyone seems to have different experiences, but I've found the JB's are most attracted to pale yellow or white roses here. Maybe R.U. really strong color and lack of scent make it not-so-tempting? To answer about width of it, it does tend to want to grow outward at first so you have to be patient with it. Mine is an own-root and was teensy-tiny when it arrived here 3 yrs. ago. The first year it grew to no more than a 2 ft. bush and didn't act like a climber. Year 2 it took some training on my part to get it into the
right direction for climbing. Now it is on its way up & over the arch. I don't feel that it is a particularly fast
grower, at least with our short summers. But it is worth
a little waiting, because like I said before the flowers last FOREVER. They come in huge clusters and aren't shattered by rain or wind the way some are. Yes, it blooms all summer, at its best in June and then again in the fall. I have NEVER had a speck of disease on it, even when roses around it are defoliating from BS. It does get
some cane damage of newer growth so I do lose some length,
but not too badly. The first year I wrapped it up in burlap because I wasn't sure how it would fare over winter.
Now I just spray it well with Wilt-Pruf in November and mound up the base...that's it.
I know what you mean about the rose withdrawal....I am already ordering more roses for spring! Its going to be
a long winter. (sigh)

Celeste

MORE OF PRAIRIE JOY FOR KRISTIN.....

Photobucket
THIS IS JUST ONE BUSH.......
prairie joy

o

Celeste, I think you have officially enabled me to order three RU. That's great news about the JBs...they came here in the third week of June and didn't die until Halloween; can you believe it!!! They've still got my blood pressure up...the nasty buggers.

I like the fact that RU grows upright because I have the perfect lattice/trellis for them to cling to on my deck.
Thank you again for posting this great thread and please, please post more lovely pics and descriptions so I can enjoy them during the long, dreary winter.
-terry

o

Celeste - WoW! Your roses look magnificent!

Do you by any chance grow the following roses?

1) Ispahan
2) Reine des Centfeuille (can't rememeber the last name)
3) Major of Casterbridge?

I would love to see the bush form of those roses before I order them.

By the way, what colour is Pretty Jessica exactly? Is it pink? Lilac/purple?

Thanks inadvance.

o

Oh my goodness Celeste!! What gorgeous babies you have here. There are several I am definitely going to order also. I too am looking for an apricot climber but I would like for it to bloom all summer. I have Heaven on Earth on order and the only other one I have is Quietness which was new to me this summer. Only bloomed about 4 blooms but can't wait til next year. I would love Octavia Hill, Rosarium Uetersen, and The Generous Gardener. All your roses are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I agree with Terri, I am already missing all my flowers and its just the end of November. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! Take care, Judy

o

Thanks for the additional Prairie Joy pictures. It sounds like this one will be no trouble at all, no disease, no extreme winter protection measures, etc. I love a rose that's beautiful with a minimum of coddling!

o

jumbojimmy....
It just so happens that I do indeed grow all 3 of those roses. I only have a full-bush shot of Mayor of Casterbridge so let me explain their growth habits here.
Ispahan is a HUGE shrub. It grows tall AND wide. Mine is an ownroot and has far exceeded the space I alloted it. (I had to move other roses around it to give it space). It is the biggest & tallest of all my roses, even taller than my monster Albas. Mine is now about 8 feet tall and about 6 feet wide! A monster. But it is deliriously healthy & hardy and the flowers are gorgeous and smell wonderful. You can't beat Ispahan. It blooms for a long time, the longest of most once-bloomers.
I have a photo of the bottom of the shrub which shows how it blooms all the way down to the ground.

Reine des Centfuilles is a smaller shrub, a little untidy if you don't prune it, but has the most amazing flowers on the earth in my opinion. It is one of my favorite old roses. Another easy-care rose that is hardy & healthy.

Mayor of Casterbridge has a slender, upright growth habit.
It will grow to about 5 feet but is only about 2 1/2 feet wide. It doesn't seem to mind the winters here and I don't protect it. The flower form is to die for.

Pretty Jessica is PINK. Sometimes in the fall here she takes on some salmon tones but her true color is medium pink.

Judy, you have picked some great roses! You will not be
sorry!

Celeste

MAYOR OF CASTERBRIDGE.....

Photobucket

REINE DES CENTFUILLES......ONE BRANCH

reine des centfuilles

BOTTOM PORTION OF ISPAHAN.....NOTE HOW IT BLOOMS ALL
THE WAY TO THE GROUND.

Ispahan

o

Celeste, your rose photos make my heart sing! They are ALL so gorgeous, I would have trouble picking a favourite.

I was thinking of ordering Ispahan but now, even though he is a real beauty, I don't believe I have enough room for him. I yearn for more space in this small yard of mine.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions for next spring, though....

Judith

o

EXCELLENT!!!

Celeste -Thank you so much! It's hard to find a full bush shot of Major of Casterbridge in the net. So far this rose looks impressive - love the colour and form.

I also love the look of Reine Des Centfuilles - the blooms remind me of Belle Donna - a rose which is not available in Australia.

Great to read about Ispahan's advantages. I will definitely order all 3 of them next year.

o

Predfern, better write RU now. I know some of their quantity on certain Austins is low.
Celeste, what can I say. I'm bowled over and your Therese Bugnet looks so much better than mine. Blackspot haven here.
You have so many gorgeous roses, I would just love to stroll through over and over. Thank you for sharing your beauty.

Carla

o

Celeste - I was delighted to see your pictures. I live in Northern Indiana and we have terrific swings in temperatures, winds, etc. I have been terribly disappointed in some roses that I have ordered, and I definitely do not spray. Are there any nurseries located in the north that you know of? I would feel more comfortable in ordering from those rather than the rose nurseries in the south. Thanks so much for everything - Barb

o

Thanks for the bush shots. Pictures of individual blooms can be so deceiving.

I haven't tried Heaven on Earth, even though it is a Kordes, thinking it wasn't hardy enough. That opinion also reinforced by the fact that neither Hortico nor Pickering carried it as I figure that they offer roses that are hardy in Canada. I buy mostly from them.

Also interesting is the fact that RU, which I have, is not bothered by JB''s. I have another rose that is JB free, Eutin. It is a small marvel.

I confess to being very narrow minded when it comes to who hybrized a rose. I'm totally turned off by Austin's having tried 9 of them that all died. I tried one Buck, Carefree Beauty, which I didn't care for the look of it so out went Buck's. I know very bad!

o

Barb....I have always ordered from Pickering Nurseries & Hortico, both in Ontario, Canada when I order bareroots, since they are grafted onto multiflora rootstock and it does well for me here. As for ownroots, I have spread out many, many orders between Roses Unlimited, Ashdown, Vintage, Heirloom, Antique Rose Emporium, etc. Even though all of these sources are from warmer climates I have had good success....I just make sure to winter-protect real well the first year since they are still usually small.

Jim...
I am very pleased with the Kordes roses that I grow so far,
and will be ordering quite a few more Kordes from Pickering & Hortico for spring. (Maybe next year I will be doing a thread on KORDES roses?) Every Kordes that I grow so far has been phenomenal here. Two that I have a feeling are going to be on my "ridiculously healthy roses" thread next time will be Caramella and Rosenstadt Zweibrucken. They were new to me this year so I can't yet comment on winter-hardiness but WOW, what healthy, robust
roses they have been thus far. These were both tiny ownroots when I got them in the spring but they grew quickly. I love the foliage on Kordes roses, not just the blooms....so healthy & glossy. I will be ordering for spring:

Sparrieshoop
Lavaglut
Angela
Travemunde
Pomponella Fairy Tale
Lion's Fairy Tale
Cinderella Fairy Tale
Floral Fairy Tale
Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale
Sister's Fairy Tale
Fortuna Vigorosa
Escimo
Toscana Vigorosa
(and maybe others....)

If you grow any of these, I would love your opinion.

I saw Travemunde growing at Elizabeth Park Rose Garden in Hartford, CT and the bed of them was an unbelievable sight.
Every Kordes I saw growing there looked healthy.

I picked up Heaven on Earth at a garden center several years ago, not even realizing it was a Kordes rose. I went crazy the first winter protecting it, thinking it would be tender. When it came through with no damage I started relaxing and letting it fend for itself. It does
surprisingly well.

I've had mostly good success with Austins & Buck roses (although I feel that some of the Buck roses are not nearly as winter-hardy as they are promoted and have significant dieback here). I have a large collection of both, but this year not a single Austin or Buck on my wish list for spring. I am fast becoming a Kordes fan, too.

Celeste

o

Celeste, I grow quite a few Bucks and I agree they are winter-hardy but not cane-hardy. Last April I ended up pruning them down to about 4-6", but by June they were huge again and blooming heavily. Another great plus is that I don't winter protect them other than the yearly wood mulch.

I am becoming a Kordes devotee also. Kordes roses seem to have great resistance to BS in my garden, and I've been impressed with the winter hardiness factor. I've been eyeing the Fairy Tale roses myself; but I've already ordered about 30 or so roses for the spring so will have to wait until I dig up more yard. I told myself after picking JBs endlessly for 4 months that I was NOT going to buy more roses, but oh well, I caved when I saw Pickerings and Palatines and Vintages offerings.
-terry

o

I grow about 60 Kordes roses but only two on your list, Lavaglut and Angela. Both are new so the jury is out on them. But so far L is a real winner. I don't have any of the new K's as I'm still trying to catch up on the old ones.

Of my 60 I find Rosarium Uetersen outstanding. Other good ones, Illusion, Eutin, Elmshorn, Elveshorn, Robusta, Leverkusen, Westerland, Palmengarten Frankfurt, Iceberg, Goldmarie 82, etc. Most I think would be hardy in Z5.

o

Celeste, thanks you very much for the informaation. I am planning to plant some roses in a new bed this summer for my parents and need something (winter) hardy, floriforous, and fragrant. You gave us so many suggestions, and at the perfect time as well. (I usually do my planing in the winter). I have five roses (Mediland shrubs, Ballerina, and Zephirine drouin) and am always on the look out for new ones. Since I am on the subject, Ballerina blooms non-stop for me all summer and is cane hardy. The only drawback is Jap. beatles LOVE it. The Zephirine and Meidland shrubs are nice, but flower heavily in May/June and sporadically all summer. I combined them with clematis for added interst, but I want roses and roses, and more roses in the new bed, and you gave some very good sugestions. I am planning on planting a tall climber next to our sunroom and was thinking Don Juan, but some of the others mentioned might be more cane hardy since it is exposed to winter wind.

o

Celeste:

I know you are in a much cooler zone than I am but how large do Prairie Joy and Ispahan get? I love them both. Especially Prairie Joy. It look like it gets pretty wide.

Amazing photos. Thanks for the lift as we make the transition into winter:)

Kate

o

Thanks for the great posting and lovely roses Celeste. I'm in zone 5 and, like you, have had excellent luck with Prairie Joy (you're right, it is truly underrated), Quietness (my favorite Buck rose), Morden Sunrise (my favorite Morden) and Therese Bugnet (an awesome rugosa). You are enabling me into Heaven on Earth and Rosarium Uetersen! The Austin English roses have been wonderfully hardy for those of us in zone 5 Northern Michigan (Cherry Capital Rose Society), much to our joy!

o

terryjean....Yeh, the only Buck rose of mine that doesn't sustain a good extent of cane loss is Quietness. She never loses more than just the very tips. All the others have to start each spring with just a few inches of cane, but like you said, they catch up fast. I am no longer fanatical about winter-protecting. When I only had a couple dozen roses it was easier! Every year I add another garden so that I can order more roses! This means cutting down trees, digging stumps, rocks, and ordering dumptruck-loads of loam....I've spent almost $400 this fall just for dirt!! All this so that I can order roses over the long winter. I am running out of property. My neighbors, who don't grow roses and have bare yards or lots of woods have all suggested that I could start planting my roses over in their yards....lol.

Jim....I will let you know next year how my new Kordes roses have done. I expect good things from them judging by the Kordes roses I currently grow (about 10) which are
all terrific thus far. I was paying attention when you posted many times about their virtues! I am excited to try out the new ones, but I think I will also consider some of the older ones as well.

bradarmi....I hear you about the Japanese beetles....it is SO frustrating to work so hard just to feed those nasty things. I have considered getting Ballerina but knowing it would just be beetle food I'm not sure now. I also combine clematis with my roses, particularly the once-bloomers.

Kate....Ispahan is a HUGE shrub so it will need a lot of room. Mine is an ownroot which stands about 8 ft. tall and 6 feet wide! I am sure that if I pruned it hard it could be smaller but it would still be BIG. I have seen it growing other places and not nearly as large, but it is a robust shrub so keep that in mind.
Prairie Joy isn't real tall but she does grow wide. Mine is about 3 1/2 feet tall and over 4 feet wide, very bushy.
I don't have to prune her, this is her idea!

Karen....I am glad to know you also are enjoying some of these lovelies. You MUST have Heaven on Earth and Rosarium Uetersen...all my hard work posting these photos is paying off! LOL. I just love for people to enjoy their roses like I do.
I have also had great success with the Austins. Most of them are surprisingly hardy here, some even more than my Bucks.

Celeste

MORE ENABLING PHOTOS, FOR THOSE WHO AREN'T YET CONVINCED....

HEAVEN ON EARTH....

Heaven on Earth

Photobucket

PRAIRIE JOY.....

prairie joy

OCTAVIA HILL.....
Octavia Hill

octavia hill

QUIETNESS.....

/quietness

ROSARIUM UETERSEN....

rosarium uetersen

o
P.S.....One more Pretty Jessica!

pretty jessica

o

Celeste

Your picture of RU doesn't look like mine. First of all the color is different. Mine is a soft pink/coral. Still it is color that really catches the eye. Then the form is also different. It is hard to describe my RU. I've never seen a rose with that shape. It shows no stamens, which I like. It is not Austin like but still has many petals arranged symmetrically. Each petal, as I recall but my memory is not that good, is sort of curled over. Now that part may not be true but there is something different about the petals. Not flat and curved like your picture.

Further about the color, there is absolutely no red in it. I have a picture somewhere I'll have to look for it.

I know photographs may not be true to life as far as color and even the form may vary depending on climate and care.

o

Celeste

My older pictures of RU look exactly like yours. I'm still looking for the one I took last summer. Maybe a mutation as it startled me the way it looked. Or could be I've finally lost it!

o

Celeste, these are all delightful. Such an abundance of blooms. Lots of great blooms and colors.

o

Celeste, thank you for the awesome photos! Could you please tell me how well OCTAVIA HILL comes through your zone 4 winters? If it does really good for youself, it also might be one to try in zone 3.

Terry

o

Terry....Octavia Hill is rated as hardy to zone 6....however, I personally find it to be much hardier. The only protection she gets is some soil mounded at her base each winter. She is planted up against our deck, but at our altitude she gets a lot of winter winds. I do end up pruning her down in the spring, but not drastically. She starts each spring with about a foot of growth and is so vigorous she reaches near-climbing proportions by summer's end. If you protect her much more than I do, you may be able to grow her successfully. It is interesting to note that in my experience she has less winter-kill than most of my Buck roses. Also interesting is that she was still sending up flower buds well into October here....although the frost killed them, she was valiant.

A very healthy rose, worth trying!

Celeste

o

Great pictures as always Celeste. I think you've enabled me into Prairie Joy. It looks like my "ideal" rose bush: healthy green foliage on a rounded bushy shrub studded with pink cupshaped blooms.

Eric

o

Eric...I think you will really enjoy Prairie Joy....this is a no-fuss, easy-care rose. I have her planted in a long border against a stone wall and basically she fends for herself. I find the cup-shaped blooms to be so pretty sitting atop the healthy green leaves. I almost feel guilty each year because I give her very little attention and she rewards me so bountifully.

Celeste

Photobucket

o

Celeste, thank you for the detailed experience with Octavia Hill, I will add this beauty to my order. I always deeply plant any tender(ish) roses and mound them high for the winter. Although, we do not get alot of snow in this area, I always shovel whatever I can upon them. My planting site is well protected and the soil is very good, so am really looking forward to the results.

Thanks to your photos and glowing report, I now have Heaven On Earth on order. Quietness, Pope John Paul II and Mother of Pearl are others I'd love to try!

Terry

o

My goodness, how much acreage do you have?? ;-) Your roses are wonderful! Every rosarian up north should see this thread and your lovely photos for inspiration!!!

o

tenor peggy....Thanks....I own under an acre of land but half of it is woodland which is slowly being transformed into more rose gardens...lol. I love trees & woods, but I have to put in at least one new rosebed per year, which means cutting down trees, digging stumps and rocks, and buying truckloads of loam, not to mention building stone walls to contain my priceless new roses. Because I have many rose gardens all over the place, as well as small ponds, lily beds, berry bushes and perennials it gives the impression of a much bigger yard. People on my road are always craning their necks to see what new project I'm working on.....no one can believe how many roses I already grow and are fascinated and perplexed by the lengths I will go to add more roses.

Celeste

o

Zone 5 IL - rarely have problems with much blackspot, but late in the year mildew is a problem. My healthiest so far is Polareis - hardy, healthy, dark green rugosa hyrid but the rebloom stinks...
The only roses that the jbeetles do not bother (unless there are NO other ones around) are the very low growing ones no scent or dark colored. Valentine is the one that is most jb free.
I agree with the bucks having significant dieback but they spring up so fast and vigorously in the spring the point is moot.
The austin The generous gardener is underated - the rebloom is not great, but it is such an easy rose, very hardy, vigorous canes (typical austin). short climber.

o

Celeste,
Your roses are gorgeous. When visiting my sister in Maine, her neighbor brought over a vase of THERESE BUGNET. It has to be one of the most fragrant roses that I have ever smelled. She lives in a big old farmhouse and the three or four roses in that vase perfumed the entire downstairs. I don't think it would do well in this zone. Does it repeat for you at all?
Nancy

o

Celeste, I am so delighted to have found your post!! I've been wondering about the possibility of growing roses on a balcony. I'll be looking for Prairie Rose come springtime. Thank you for the post and the beautiful pictures!

o

Celeste---thank you so much for this very informative list---
Sure wish I was in better condition because I would like to have all of them---

wonderful pictures----they all make me drool

Florence

o

Celeste, thanks for posting all your beautiful photos. Your roses are magnificent! Of course, now I must have several, but am having trouble locating most of them. The only one I've been able to find thru mail order is Pretty Jessica from Heirloom. I also want to find Heaven on Earth, Prarie Joy, Pretty Jessica and Octavia Hill. Any suggestions of where I can find these?
Thanks for your help.

o

I was so happy to see my post resurrected! I just love passing along my love of great roses and the enjoyment they bring.

Anyway, thanks to all who found my post again.

gardenklutz (cute name).....I am happy to tell you that you can obtain all but Heaven on Earth from Pickering Nurseries in Ontario. In fact, they are where I got my own Pretty Jessica, Octavia Hill and Prairie Joy and they have wonderful bareroots. As for Heaven on Earth, Regan Nurseries has it, as does Jackson & Perkins. I actually obtained mine as a Jackson and Perkins potted rose from a local nursery a few years back, knowing nothing about it and it wasn't in bloom....(I bought it for the name). It was the best impulse-buy I've ever made.

Nancy...my Therese Bugnet reblooms, but not very generously. Thats ok because she makes decorative hips and is such a pretty plant even in the winter with her red canes. You are right, it is very fragrant!

Florence, nice to hear from you....I don't see you as much here and I miss you. I'm praying for you that 2009 will be a much better year for you & yours.

patches...you could quite possibly grow Prairie Joy in a large container or barrel on a balcony since she doesn't get real tall and is pretty rugged. Just make sure you give the pot some insulating wrap or protection for the winter.

sc gardener....I have the same experience with the Japanese Beetles....here they are only interested in light-colored and very fragrant roses. They tend to leave my dark-colored roses, esp. the scentless ones alone.

Celeste

o

I love the whole bush pictures and your flower beds, they are very inspiring for the newly addicted. I wish everyone would post pictures of their complete gardens. I have gotten so many new ideas for my new home and flower beds for this spring.

o

garose....(btw, I was born & raised in GA and still have family there)...anyways,
I took your advice and just did a new post showing more of my garden(s). I wish I had better pictures, but I posted what I had. Look for "A Zone 4b Garden in pictures". Thanks for your interest!

Celeste

o

I've grown Teresa Bugnet. Beautiful, yes...except for all the mildew. I haven't had your luck with them. I'm helping test Quietness to see if it'll be added to the list of Earth-Kind roses. I'm not supposed to do anything for it...no feeding, etc.

o

What beautiful roses! People down south have a longer growing season, but more humidity, so blackspot. YOur roses look great! Kathy

o

Celeste - just discovered this older amazing thread of yours! Wonderful descriptions and very beautiful photos!

I have never heard of Octavia Hill before and love her deeply quartered flowers with their soft light pink color at the outer side and the slightly deeper pink center. You didn't mention anything about fragrance. Does that mean she comes without?

It made me happy to see two more outstanding photos of Pretty Jessica! I am looking so much forward for my little band to grow and hopefully give me these incredible flowers, too.

Can't wait to see more photos of your garden this year!

o

Hi organicgardendreams.....
I just now noticed my old post had been revived...bravo!

About Octavia Hill....no, she doesn't have much in the way of fragrance, if any....at least I don't detect any. However, I surround her with other roses which are scented,that way I never really notice. I guess its a trade-off. She is perfect in every other respect....guess you can't have it all. But....Pretty Jessica does have a nice fragrance!

Celeste

o

Celeste, thanks for your response!

If Octavia Hill doesn't have any or just very little fragrance, I think it is of course still a rose of outstanding beauty, but not a "must have" for me. Unfortunately our yard is not too big and therefore I have to be very picky, which rose is allowed to come in. Lately I am really trying to buy only roses that have at least a decent fragrance. If we had more space it would be a different story.

Seeing your photos and knowing that she is fragrant, to me Pretty Jessica seems to "have it all"! I am still wondering why David Austin has dumped her!

o

Celeste

An old rose that ranks right up there with Charles is Hippolyte. Mine is maybe 10 years old and has grown to 8x5'. Maybe 50 or more canes. Wonderful deep red very fragrant flowers. Nice form. Long and prolific bloom.

You probably have it.

o

Celeste, I don't know if I should thank you or not :)
I wasn't going to order anymore this year but after seeing Heaven on Earth I ordered from J&P. I figured I chance it. Beautiful roses. I can't wait for spring. Donna

o

organicgardendreams, 'Pretty Jessica' DOES have it all ... except thorns ... which is another big bonus (almost thornless)!

Randy

o

Thank you for sharing your recommondations and these absolutely breathtaking pictures.I thought I had finally decided what I was going to order from Pickering Nurseries but I think I will have to add a few more plants.

o

Randy, I love your enthusiasm about Pretty Jessica!

My band is still sooo... tiny. It is hard to imagine at this point that it will ever produce these gorgeous flowers!

o

The Pretty Jessica that I have came from Roses Unlimited last year and it was a fairly good-sized 1-gallon rose when it arrived.
It's was pretty sturdy rose from the start.
But I have a second one on order from Vintage as a band, and, like yours, I expect it to be small and need some tender loving care for awhile.

Randy

o

Hi Celeste, Your roses are stunning!! What do you fertilize with? I have never had that many roses on a bush. I live in south central MA. and had severe dieback on my quietness rose, also blackspot last summer but this was a really cold winter for the northeast. She does have new growth though so I'm sure she'll be fine. I also have heaven on earth from jackson + perkins and she came through the winter really well and had little to no blackspot last year. I wish my roses were as lovely as yours. :o( The photos are absolutely gorgeous.
Sharon

o

Celeste

Karl Forster is budding out to the end of its' canes. Might be a candidate for your zone. It makes a beautiful bush creating a neatly rounded bush without pruning. Last summer it was covered with white, white flowers of a muddled form yet quite symmetrical. It is supposed to repeat but so far it hasn't for me. It might in the future as it was moved a couple of years ago. Funny in its' former location it never bloomed as was a very small plant. In fact I was surprised at the size of it now. Unfortunately I planted it at the front of the border thinking it would remain small!

o

You live in zone 4, rugosas should be excellent in your climate!
It is a bit too warm for them in summer where I live, so I give them a position where they get sun only for 4-5 days.
I grow many of them and Dagmar, Roseraie de l'hay, the roadrunners, therese bugnet, agnes,and scabrosa live healthy and happy with no spraying (they do not like spraying) and with the rain. Thay are all very fragrant.
If you have plenty of space, as I understand, just put some of them in your garde, You will not regret it, believe me!
Not all hybrids are healthy, but these are. And rebloom generously.

o

Wow, Amazing Roses...colors are absolutely stunning!

o

Thanks for reviving this interesting thread, which I had not read before. Nice work, Celeste.

It's interesting that the new Meilland grandiflora 'Mother of Pearl' is a pure Buck rose-- Paloma Blanca x Carefree Beauty.

Also, 'Rosarium Uetersen' is quite fragrant to me, consistently sweet and fruity. Apparently I have a minority nose.

o

Hi Celeste

Lovely pictures - seriously considering Prairie Joy. How tall does it get?

Thanks

o

Thank you, just breath taking! I have written them all down in my journal for my wish list and to recommend to others.

o

Yes you are enabling those of us that try to resist... but resistance is futile and exhausting when it is so much easier to just give in. Why torture myself with needless editing? What, after all, does a person need money for after the roses are ordered, planted, and watered? As long as next month's water bill is covered, I have enough left for MORE ROSES!

o

Great thread! Disease resistance is a must for me! I was drooling over Octavia Hill until I read of her lack of fragrance. I can tolerate that in my miniatures, but it's a must for me with the larger roses. I love to stuff my nose into them and...well, you know! Heaven on earth! Another "biggie" for me is lack of thorns, so I'm excited to see that Pretty Jessica has both fragrance AND lack of thorns, plus the disease resistance. Does anyone in my zone 6 grow her effectively?

o

I rarely browse deeper than page four, but I am glad i did! Love this thread, and I am not even finished, yet. heck, I haven't even finished your first post, lol!

but before I forget, i think your clmber is Coral Dawn. I have one that was mislabelled as New Dawn. I am glad for the mistake. Sorry, if someone else already suggested this!

o

Speaking of New Dawn, a rose that is doing quite nicely for me (but I don't believe is hardy to zone 4-zone 5 maybe) is Aloha (Boerner). One parent is New Dawn. Big blooms, nice fragrance, repeat, good disease resistance here in the mid-atlantic.

o

Thanks again, Celeste, for your wonderful photos and descriptions. My five Pretty Jessica roses just arrived today from Heirloom. Hope they like Oklahoma!!!

o

petsitterbarb....You are welcome....and have fun 'babying' those little rose bands of PJ. I'll bet they will like Oklahoma just fine; Randy is in Texas and his are doing great. Have you checked out the Antique Roses forum lately? Lots of discussion over there about our Pretty Jessica....apparently now referred to as 'Free Jessica'.

I stand by my praise of her. You will love her.

Celeste

o

Well I took a hit this past winter. I have 3 that have yet to break dormancy... I think they are dead since my others have all leafed out, not even a sign of life.
I was about to place anything in those spots but now it will have to be one of these. Gosh they look amazing.
What amazing pictures.
My current fav dies to the ground every year but it is back with a vengence, it is Daybreaker. I love this rose so much.
Liane

o
Where?

Hello,
I started to try to find heaven on earth, where did you get it?
I am in Canada so I tried Hortico and Pickering, no luck.
Liane

o

Celeste any new pictures to share this year? I know it is early but it is a worth a try. ENABLE US SOME MORE!

Liane - try helpmefind to see where it is available for sale. I think I purchased that rose 2 years ago from J&P.
I could be wrong but I think I did. Not sure I would touch J&P anymore.

o

I (AKA QTee) rarely post (or even lurk) here anymore
but was snooping around tonight and couldn't help but be intrigued by your success in Z4.
I'm not sure how you can grow roses in Z4 that have done poorly for me in Z5? What's your secret?

o

I should add that I've grow hundreds of so called "hardy" roses since 2000 and countless Bucks, Austins, Romanticas and on and on (many GW enabled/impulse buys) and most of them have failed miserably.
I'm currently down to around 50 or less roses.
Those left standing:
~ #1 reliable cane hard and disease free Rugosas!
~ Albas (LOVE them!)
~ Select Ramblers and OGR's
~ 1 Buck 'Apple Jack' (cane hardy)
~ A few Austins (most hardy once bloomer: Constance Spry)

Pictured 'Constance Spry'
Hosting provided by FotoTime

o
A few of my cane hardy favs

I might as well offer a few suggestions for roses that have never failed me here in low lying rural Z5 that might as well be Z4.

Bored with Rugosas?
'Polareis' looks like a wedding bouquet.
Get this Rugosa...you will love it!

I planted Rambler 'Lillian Gibson' by my back door on a trellis. Big mistake...its now huge and spills over my path and wants to cover my doorway.
This will make a HUGE free standing scrub.
Blood red cane add winter interest.
Blossoms hold well a lONG time and it blooms a good 4-6 weeks.
Available at North Creek Farm.
(hurry before Suzy is out of business)
Pict. here 1st first season.

I love Albas! If you don't grow them you are really missing out on some the the most beautiful and highly fragrant roses of all time. I wouldn't be without these once blooming beauties anymore than my other June blooming treasure's like lilacs, peonies, etc.
One of my favorites is Konigin v. Danemark
Pict. here its first season.
Shrub is now about 5 ft. tall.

Another Alba fav "Felecitie Parmentier.
SO fragrant!

Out of all the large flowering, repeat bloomer, climbers I've tried the only one who has been reliably cane hardy is 'Louise Odier'.

Like wise...'Apple Jack' is the only cane hardy Dr. Buck
I've grown. Big 6 x 5 shrub and repeat blooms well.

Hope this inspires you to try some once bloomers.

o

Bethany,
Thank you for adding your glorious photos. You and I seem
to enjoy the same roses, for I have all but one of those you shared....(Lillian Gibson) and she is on my wish list for 2010. You are quite correct in that the once-bloomers, particularly the Albas are the hardiest and lowest-maintenance of all roses. I did not showcase my old oncebloomers since this is the regular roses forum, but I am a frequent contributor over on the Antiques forum where I praise the old roses to the heavens! These are my most loved roses. I would take an Alba or a Gallica over any modern rose, anyday. But since most folks here are looking for repeat-blooming roses, I shared those. There are very few modern roses that can compare to the old roses in terms of health, vigor, hardiness, fragrance and ease of culture. I showed some modern roses for those who prefer them, but did not have photos of all the modern
roses that do so well here. There are many, many others
that I am having great success with and that I will be
more vigilant in getting pictures of to share here.

I started growing roses because of the old roses....(my husband had bought me the old Alba 'Celeste' because that is my name, so that was my first rose) and more than half of my large collection of roses are made up of
Albas, Gallicas, Moss, Damasks, Centifolias and Scots roses. I also grow a large collection of rugosas and Canadian Explorer, Morden, and Parkland roses. This year
promises to be the most successful ever and I will surely
be posting additional threads about other worthy roses.
BTW, Felicite Parmentier (along with Charles de Mills)is my favorite rose of all time. The form, the color, the reliability, and that FRAGRANCE......endear her to me in
the way no other rose has.

Because of the severe ice storm in December '08, most of
my roses had cane breakage and lots of winterkill. I found myself pruning very aggressively and most modern roses were cut right to the ground, with the exception of the Mordens, Parklands, Explorers and Rugosas. However, this harsh pruning seemed to have invigorated them and I am expecting to have the biggest display this year ever. I am way
behind most folks here in terms of bloom time. Just two days ago my very first roses started, which are the spinosissimas and rugosas, but even then it is just the very first blooms opening....not a big display yet. It will be around June 25th before the big show starts.
I will be taking loads of pictures of full garden shots
this year. I am so delighted with the way the roses are
loaded with buds and getting ready! I can't wait!!!!

Happy Gardening to all,
Celeste

o
P.S....forgot

SORRY...
forgot to respond to you, Liane.
I obtained my Heaven on Earth from a local nursery as a potted rose a few years back. It was a Jackson & Perkins rose. Unfortunately, I do not know of a Canadian source.
Sorry about the winter being so tough. It was bad here too with loads of breakage and winterkill from the bad
ice storm. Loads of roses were cut right to ground level but have come back with a vengeance. I lost 3 mini roses, as well as a couple of floribundas that I was zone-pushing anyways.
Lilc5....Yes, its early but I will have some pictures of roses blooming in a few more weeks. Right now, I only have a spinosissima and a couple of rugosas just starting to open. But everything is loaded up with buds, so by the looks of things, it will be a very impressive show!
I definitely will be sharing pics as soon as I can.
Thanks for the compliments.

Bethany, I don't know what to tell you about my success with roses that aren't doing well there for you. There are so many variables in rose-growing that I couldn't speculate on what makes a certain rose or roses do well in zone 4 but not in zone 5. You did mention that you live in a low-lying area. I live at a fairly high elevation; in fact, my road goes up to a mountain. If you go down my road and down the mountain a few miles, folks are a couple of weeks ahead of me in terms of blooming so I don't think being up high is an advantage necessarily...but you never know. I do spend a lot of time on my roses, more than most people might be willing to and fertilize them with Rosetone and alfalfa tea several times a season. I quit my job a year ago to stay home to care for my elderly mother who has Alzheimers, so I find myself working more in my gardens than I used to. My family says that I have
the most pampered roses in the universe! LOL

Celeste

o

Celeste
Thank you for your reply.
Now do tell me how you are getting all those modern roses to grow so well for you!

o

We must of been writing at the same time.
What kind of soil do you have?
I'm sure the pampering helps.
I'm lucky if my roses get fertilized more and 1-2 times during the growing season.
It's truely survival of the fittest around here.

o

BTW...I'm feeling slighty enabled.
I better get out of here!

o

petsitterbarb, five new 'Pretty Jessica' (aka "Free Jessica") roses?
Lucky you!

Randy

o

I just received Octavia Hill and Pretty Jessica today which of course I ordered based on this thread. (I already have Quietness and I agree... favorite Buck) Thanks Celeste!

o

Diana, you are going to love your 'Pretty Jessica'!

Randy

o

Thanks Randy. I am sure I will.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to grow both Jude the Obscure and Pretty Jessica? I planted Jude farther back in a bed thinking he would be bigger and he has stayed fairly short and I am thinking that would be about the same relative size of Jessica. If so, I think I am going to move Jude farther forward in the bed and next to Jessica and fill the space where Jude is now with Octavia Hill since I believe that will be taller.

Thoughts?

o

Celeste,

I have been doing such a flurry of rose researching that I didn't realize until I saw this thread again that you are the reason I caught this bug! (I'm the one that asked about Pretty Jessica and RU on the antique rose forum) Anyway..I did get all kinds of roses since I first posted that thread (and still don't have either PJ or RU!) Anyway, I wanted to say SORRY for not giving you credit and for not responding properly to your responses to my questions. I was just overwhelmed!

I'm wondering if you grow the following roses..since I'm in zone 4 too.

Benjamin Britten
Camaieux
Pink Pearls

I would also like to know about your specifics as far as feeding and winterizing. You said you feed with Rosetone and Alfalfa Tea..how often? I'm sure I'll have lots more questions (if that's ok..) I've literally been inspired by your roses, just incredible..Thank you!

o

Thank you for sharing! This gives me some good ideas for next year

o

Celeste, did you ever look up Coral Dawn to see if that was your unknown climber? I have one, and I think you might, too.

o

Just wanted to say THANKS again for enabling me into purchasing 3 Pretty Jessica. All three came through winter beautifully (I mounded them up a bit with loose garden soil for their first winter). It's hard to pick favorites, but I really really LOVE her flower form and fragrance.

Photobucket

Also wanted to say I've just recently purchased 5 Quietness for a very special spot in my front garden. My other Bucks (4 Carefree Beauty & 1 Earthsong) have made it through three Minnesota winters with zero protection. I do get cane die-back but they always come back very strong and healthy.

o

Great thread! Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a zone 4 rose. Desired qualities are -

- Hardy - hopefully no insect or mildew issues
- Red - Trying to bring out some reds and burgundies in our stone on the house
- Height 3 to 5 ft

Anyone have some suggestions that might meet those needs?

I have double knockout roses now but I can't seem to solve the insect problem they have. I have only tried organic solutions though as I don't care to use insecticide.

Thanks

o

I'd recommend Cuthbert Grant. I've had it in my garden for about 8 years and it's amazing...It also has a very nice fragrance.

Also Kashmir which is a darker, truer red. This one I've had for a couple years and it does well so far.

New this year I have Hope for Humanity..so I don't have any reviews yet..other than the fact that it's lovely!

The first 2 I've grown with no protection except some leaf mulch piled just over the crown..

o

I am hereby nominating Celeste as the "Queen of the Enablers", with Bethany as runner up! SUCH gorgeous photos, and I love having such good descriptions of the roses, as well. GREAT to have some photos of the entire plant, not just the bloom. Randy...I felt greedy ordering FIVE Pretty Jessicas, but I've gotten over it! I LOVE 'em!
Have already given little bouquets to a couple of friends.
This may well be the PERFECT rose for me...managable size, basically thornless, gorgeous blooms, beautiful pink color and wonderfully fragrant. Now if she proves to be very disease resistant, she IS the perfect rose! I'm definitely exploring Heaven On Earth now, and want to learn more about the beautiful rugosa, Polareis, that Bethany has on her post...WOW, what a beauty! I'm a sucker for the pastel roses. Rosarium Uetersen and Prairie Joy are very intriguing, as well.
Thanks to all who have made this a GREAT thread!

o

As a cold-region gardener, I love this thread. Never too old to bring it back to the top!
Thanks Celeste

o

I had a Jude the Obscure in clay soil in Montana. It stayed small about 3 years, then took off with large, long canes, and was amazingly robust. Unfortunately rotten winter weather took it (it took even good gardeners' roses that year) soon after. Still, it was a favorite.

I'm a beginner, sort of, and with my poor soil and on-again, off-again gardening style, and giving up sometimes in the Fall -- I'm not sure which roses die because of me and which because of the cold.

Celeste, your thread has really given me hope and instruction. I was getting so tired of pouring through books to find a few Zone 4 roses! Now I'll know it's Me and MY Clay and laziness if my roses die! And, not to be redundant, but WOW! YOUR PHOTOS. It's like a sugar high!
THANKS!
Judydee

o

--Something unexpected surprise--

Hello. My friend

=== http://www.betterwholesaler.us/ ====

Dedi cated service, the new style, believing you will love it!!!

WE ACCEPT PYA PAL PAY MENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you!!!

o

Had to bring up this thread again, because I've got a bit of room along the east and north side of the house to fill up, and I'm thinking some rose bushes would be lovely there, I LOVE the old world looking roses, with the giant cabbage heads, so Celeste's roses look so tempting! :)

o

Anyone know where I can buy Pretty Jessica?

o

Heirloom Roses has it available.

o

I was thinking about Celeste the other day and wondering what had become of her: I know she had health issues. Does anybody know anything about how and what she's doing now? I don't remember seeing any posts from Celeste for a very long time, which is why I'm talking about her in the past tense. Celeste, if you are on the forum these days, please excuse me: I haven't seen your messages.
Celeste's posts were always so beautiful and inspiring, because she showed what it's possible to do in conditions that would make many gardeners throw up their hands. I don't garden in a cold climate, but I really appreciated her.
Melissa

o

Melissa,
I was thinking the same thing - whatever happened to Celeste. I hope she is doing well. I purchased a few roses based on her beautiful pictures. Hopefully, she will see this post and come back. She is missed! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here