Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Ridiculously Healthy Roses here in zone 4

celeste/NH
15 years ago

I grow well over 350 roses by now and as I add more each year I notice that I am not consistent in keeping up with

my spraying regimen. For most of my short summers here I have little problem with diseases until around August when blackspot becomes an issue. Now that all my roses have gone beddy-bye for the winter I am looking back over the past summers and recalling those roses which stayed 100% clean for me and rarely, if ever, were sprayed. In addition to their blackspot and mildew resistence, they were all vigorous growers and bloomers.

Here, in pictures, are those heroes of my garden. It takes

a great rose to not only stay healthy here, but to also

brave our zone 4 mountain-region winters and rally every

spring. Instead of closeups of individual blooms, I tried to capture whole bushes to show their qualities. These

were all taken in late August to mid-Sept. when most roses

here are looking pitiful.

Celeste

HEAVEN ON EARTH....surprisingly winter-hardy, I don't bother to give her any special attention and she barely

has tip damage come spring. She pumps out dozens & dozens of IMMENSE apricot blooms and her foliage stays glossy and green all summer. A light tea fragrance. One of my favorites and always an attention-getter.

{{gwi:344195}}

PRAIRIE JOY....this rose is under-rated, in my opinion. I don't understand why more people don't grow this rose....maybe they need some enabling? This rose needs no

winter protection and comes back fully each spring. It pumps out loads of pretty pink blooms and never has a speck of disease. And she is full and bushy without pruning.

{{gwi:344197}}

MORDEN SUNRISE....Where do I start? I love this charmer!

The sunny blooms, the glossy & healthy foliage, its winter-hardiness, and even fat rosehips in the fall.

{{gwi:344200}}

QUIETNESS....if only she had fragrance, she would be a perfect rose. Winter-hardy, vigorous, everblooming, disease-free, and perfection of form and color. (sigh)

She is beloved by me. Here she is, after a rainstorm, a little bedraggled but still glorious.

{{gwi:344203}}

ROSARIUM UETERSEN....this climber has consistently stayed

disease-free for years. The leaves are so thick and glossy they remind me of holly. It does have minor winter

damage but then again, I don't protect it. No fragrance, just huge clusters of long-lasting colorful blooms that light up my rosegarden. I am amazed by the lasting powers of the blooms. This cluster was 2 weeks old!

{{gwi:236270}}

RHODE ISLAND RED...one of the Brownell climbers. Huge, red

blooms adorn a climber with large healthy leaves. Gorgeous

and disease-free for me.

{{gwi:223473}}

OCTAVIA HILL....why, oh why, is this rose so overlooked?

I very seldom hear of it. But she is amazing. She sends out dozens upon dozens of pale pink, Austin-like blooms in clusters, set among her super-shiny and healthy leaves.

Very robust and disease-free all summer.

{{gwi:344205}}

THE GENEROUS GARDENER....This Austin doesn't seem to be very popular, maybe because the waterlily-like blooms shatter quickly, or maybe because this rose wants to be a small climber. And that's exactly how I grow it. On an obelisk, she grows to about 6 feet and the leaves are so shiny people have accused me of spraying something on them.

Surprisingly good winter-hardiness unprotected. Not a speck of disease, ever.

{{gwi:344207}}

THERESE BUGNET....the queen of my June garden. There is nothing but perfection from this rose. She is one of the hardiest roses on the planet and needs zero protection or coddling. She grows tall, with lovely leaves and scented flowers of pink perfection. Her canes are reddish for winter interest and she even sets hips. An elegant, no-fuss rose that everyone can, and should, grow.

{{gwi:344209}}

PRETTY JESSICA....OK, I have enabled many here into getting this beauty, but in case you missed it, you will want this rose! She is drop-dead gorgeous, her fragrance is strong and sweet, her form is compact & bushy, she is

healthy, she braves our winters with minimal dieback, she makes wonderful flower arrangements....she is perfect.

{{gwi:267813}}

MYSTERY CLIMBER....the tag said "Pink Queen", a Brownell climber, but I have researched and never found any rose by that name. Brownell did have several pink climbers, some only bearing number identifications. So I don't know the real identity of this lovely climber. What I DO know is that it is amazing. The leaves are so wonderfully healthy and shiny I use both the leaves and the blooms in arrangements. This rose has a very unique fragrance, so demure and sweet, like a fine perfume. Maybe someone can

identify it? Whatever it is, it is a keeper.

{{gwi:344212}}

MOTHER OF PEARL....OK, the photo is blurry, but you get the idea. Loads and Loads of blooms, no disease. This and Pope John Paul II are my healthiest hybrid teas.

{{gwi:344214}}

ANOTHER GREAT, HARDY AND HEALTHY ROSE THAT I DIDN'T PHOTOGRAPH, IS CHAMPLAIN. That is one blooming-fool of a rose! Cluster after cluster of bright red blooms, winter-hardiness, and good health. I am ordering another one for spring.

Celeste

Comments (118)

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

petsitterbarb....You are welcome....and have fun 'babying' those little rose bands of PJ. I'll bet they will like Oklahoma just fine; Randy is in Texas and his are doing great. Have you checked out the Antique Roses forum lately? Lots of discussion over there about our Pretty Jessica....apparently now referred to as 'Free Jessica'.

I stand by my praise of her. You will love her.

Celeste

• liane_z4_canada
    14 years ago

Well I took a hit this past winter. I have 3 that have yet to break dormancy... I think they are dead since my others have all leafed out, not even a sign of life.
    I was about to place anything in those spots but now it will have to be one of these. Gosh they look amazing.
    What amazing pictures.
    My current fav dies to the ground every year but it is back with a vengence, it is Daybreaker. I love this rose so much.
    Liane

• liane_z4_canada
    14 years ago

Hello,
    I started to try to find heaven on earth, where did you get it?
    I am in Canada so I tried Hortico and Pickering, no luck.
    Liane

• lilc5
    14 years ago

Celeste any new pictures to share this year? I know it is early but it is a worth a try. ENABLE US SOME MORE!

Liane - try helpmefind to see where it is available for sale. I think I purchased that rose 2 years ago from J&P.
    I could be wrong but I think I did. Not sure I would touch J&P anymore.

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

I (AKA QTee) rarely post (or even lurk) here anymore
    but was snooping around tonight and couldn't help but be intrigued by your success in Z4.
    I'm not sure how you can grow roses in Z4 that have done poorly for me in Z5? What's your secret?

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

I should add that I've grow hundreds of so called "hardy" roses since 2000 and countless Bucks, Austins, Romanticas and on and on (many GW enabled/impulse buys) and most of them have failed miserably.
    I'm currently down to around 50 or less roses.
    Those left standing:
    ~ #1 reliable cane hard and disease free Rugosas!
    ~ Albas (LOVE them!)
    ~ Select Ramblers and OGR's
    ~ 1 Buck 'Apple Jack' (cane hardy)
    ~ A few Austins (most hardy once bloomer: Constance Spry)

Pictured 'Constance Spry'
    {{gwi:222149}}

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

I might as well offer a few suggestions for roses that have never failed me here in low lying rural Z5 that might as well be Z4.

Bored with Rugosas?
    'Polareis' looks like a wedding bouquet.
    Get this Rugosa...you will love it!
    {{gwi:222153}}

I planted Rambler 'Lillian Gibson' by my back door on a trellis. Big mistake...its now huge and spills over my path and wants to cover my doorway.
    This will make a HUGE free standing scrub.
    Blood red cane add winter interest.
    Blossoms hold well a lONG time and it blooms a good 4-6 weeks.
    Available at North Creek Farm.
    (hurry before Suzy is out of business)
    Pict. here 1st first season.
    {{gwi:344240}}

I love Albas! If you don't grow them you are really missing out on some the the most beautiful and highly fragrant roses of all time. I wouldn't be without these once blooming beauties anymore than my other June blooming treasure's like lilacs, peonies, etc.
    One of my favorites is Konigin v. Danemark
    Pict. here its first season.
    Shrub is now about 5 ft. tall.
    {{gwi:344241}}

Another Alba fav "Felecitie Parmentier.
    SO fragrant!
    {{gwi:344242}}

Out of all the large flowering, repeat bloomer, climbers I've tried the only one who has been reliably cane hardy is 'Louise Odier'.
    {{gwi:344243}}

Like wise...'Apple Jack' is the only cane hardy Dr. Buck
    I've grown. Big 6 x 5 shrub and repeat blooms well.
    {{gwi:344244}}

Hope this inspires you to try some once bloomers.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bethany,
    Thank you for adding your glorious photos. You and I seem
    to enjoy the same roses, for I have all but one of those you shared....(Lillian Gibson) and she is on my wish list for 2010. You are quite correct in that the once-bloomers, particularly the Albas are the hardiest and lowest-maintenance of all roses. I did not showcase my old oncebloomers since this is the regular roses forum, but I am a frequent contributor over on the Antiques forum where I praise the old roses to the heavens! These are my most loved roses. I would take an Alba or a Gallica over any modern rose, anyday. But since most folks here are looking for repeat-blooming roses, I shared those. There are very few modern roses that can compare to the old roses in terms of health, vigor, hardiness, fragrance and ease of culture. I showed some modern roses for those who prefer them, but did not have photos of all the modern
    roses that do so well here. There are many, many others
    that I am having great success with and that I will be
    more vigilant in getting pictures of to share here.

I started growing roses because of the old roses....(my husband had bought me the old Alba 'Celeste' because that is my name, so that was my first rose) and more than half of my large collection of roses are made up of
    Albas, Gallicas, Moss, Damasks, Centifolias and Scots roses. I also grow a large collection of rugosas and Canadian Explorer, Morden, and Parkland roses. This year
    promises to be the most successful ever and I will surely
    be posting additional threads about other worthy roses.
    BTW, Felicite Parmentier (along with Charles de Mills)is my favorite rose of all time. The form, the color, the reliability, and that FRAGRANCE......endear her to me in
    the way no other rose has.

Because of the severe ice storm in December '08, most of
    my roses had cane breakage and lots of winterkill. I found myself pruning very aggressively and most modern roses were cut right to the ground, with the exception of the Mordens, Parklands, Explorers and Rugosas. However, this harsh pruning seemed to have invigorated them and I am expecting to have the biggest display this year ever. I am way
    behind most folks here in terms of bloom time. Just two days ago my very first roses started, which are the spinosissimas and rugosas, but even then it is just the very first blooms opening....not a big display yet. It will be around June 25th before the big show starts.
    I will be taking loads of pictures of full garden shots
    this year. I am so delighted with the way the roses are
    loaded with buds and getting ready! I can't wait!!!!

Happy Gardening to all,
    Celeste

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SORRY...
    forgot to respond to you, Liane.
    I obtained my Heaven on Earth from a local nursery as a potted rose a few years back. It was a Jackson & Perkins rose. Unfortunately, I do not know of a Canadian source.
    Sorry about the winter being so tough. It was bad here too with loads of breakage and winterkill from the bad
    ice storm. Loads of roses were cut right to ground level but have come back with a vengeance. I lost 3 mini roses, as well as a couple of floribundas that I was zone-pushing anyways.
    Lilc5....Yes, its early but I will have some pictures of roses blooming in a few more weeks. Right now, I only have a spinosissima and a couple of rugosas just starting to open. But everything is loaded up with buds, so by the looks of things, it will be a very impressive show!
    I definitely will be sharing pics as soon as I can.
    Thanks for the compliments.

Bethany, I don't know what to tell you about my success with roses that aren't doing well there for you. There are so many variables in rose-growing that I couldn't speculate on what makes a certain rose or roses do well in zone 4 but not in zone 5. You did mention that you live in a low-lying area. I live at a fairly high elevation; in fact, my road goes up to a mountain. If you go down my road and down the mountain a few miles, folks are a couple of weeks ahead of me in terms of blooming so I don't think being up high is an advantage necessarily...but you never know. I do spend a lot of time on my roses, more than most people might be willing to and fertilize them with Rosetone and alfalfa tea several times a season. I quit my job a year ago to stay home to care for my elderly mother who has Alzheimers, so I find myself working more in my gardens than I used to. My family says that I have
    the most pampered roses in the universe! LOL

Celeste

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

Celeste
    Thank you for your reply.
    Now do tell me how you are getting all those modern roses to grow so well for you!

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

We must of been writing at the same time.
    What kind of soil do you have?
    I'm sure the pampering helps.
    I'm lucky if my roses get fertilized more and 1-2 times during the growing season.
    It's truely survival of the fittest around here.

• Bethany_Z5
    14 years ago

BTW...I'm feeling slighty enabled.
    I better get out of here!

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

petsitterbarb, five new 'Pretty Jessica' (aka "Free Jessica") roses?
    Lucky you!

Randy

• diana_noil
    14 years ago

I just received Octavia Hill and Pretty Jessica today which of course I ordered based on this thread. (I already have Quietness and I agree... favorite Buck) Thanks Celeste!

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Diana, you are going to love your 'Pretty Jessica'!

Randy

• diana_noil
    14 years ago

Thanks Randy. I am sure I will.

Do you (or anyone else) happen to grow both Jude the Obscure and Pretty Jessica? I planted Jude farther back in a bed thinking he would be bigger and he has stayed fairly short and I am thinking that would be about the same relative size of Jessica. If so, I think I am going to move Jude farther forward in the bed and next to Jessica and fill the space where Jude is now with Octavia Hill since I believe that will be taller.

Thoughts?

• birdwing
    14 years ago

Celeste,

I have been doing such a flurry of rose researching that I didn't realize until I saw this thread again that you are the reason I caught this bug! (I'm the one that asked about Pretty Jessica and RU on the antique rose forum) Anyway..I did get all kinds of roses since I first posted that thread (and still don't have either PJ or RU!) Anyway, I wanted to say SORRY for not giving you credit and for not responding properly to your responses to my questions. I was just overwhelmed!

I'm wondering if you grow the following roses..since I'm in zone 4 too.

Benjamin Britten
    Camaieux
    Pink Pearls

I would also like to know about your specifics as far as feeding and winterizing. You said you feed with Rosetone and Alfalfa Tea..how often? I'm sure I'll have lots more questions (if that's ok..) I've literally been inspired by your roses, just incredible..Thank you!

• aussietrio
    14 years ago

Thank you for sharing! This gives me some good ideas for next year

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

Celeste, did you ever look up Coral Dawn to see if that was your unknown climber? I have one, and I think you might, too.

• kristin_flower
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say THANKS again for enabling me into purchasing 3 Pretty Jessica. All three came through winter beautifully (I mounded them up a bit with loose garden soil for their first winter). It's hard to pick favorites, but I really really LOVE her flower form and fragrance.

{{gwi:344245}}

Also wanted to say I've just recently purchased 5 Quietness for a very special spot in my front garden. My other Bucks (4 Carefree Beauty & 1 Earthsong) have made it through three Minnesota winters with zero protection. I do get cane die-back but they always come back very strong and healthy.

• ebby
    14 years ago

Great thread! Thanks to everyone who contributed.

I'm looking for some suggestions for a zone 4 rose. Desired qualities are -

- Hardy - hopefully no insect or mildew issues
    - Red - Trying to bring out some reds and burgundies in our stone on the house
    - Height 3 to 5 ft

Anyone have some suggestions that might meet those needs?

I have double knockout roses now but I can't seem to solve the insect problem they have. I have only tried organic solutions though as I don't care to use insecticide.

Thanks

• birdwing
    14 years ago

I'd recommend Cuthbert Grant. I've had it in my garden for about 8 years and it's amazing...It also has a very nice fragrance.

Also Kashmir which is a darker, truer red. This one I've had for a couple years and it does well so far.

New this year I have Hope for Humanity..so I don't have any reviews yet..other than the fact that it's lovely!

The first 2 I've grown with no protection except some leaf mulch piled just over the crown..

• petsitterbarb
    14 years ago

I am hereby nominating Celeste as the "Queen of the Enablers", with Bethany as runner up! SUCH gorgeous photos, and I love having such good descriptions of the roses, as well. GREAT to have some photos of the entire plant, not just the bloom. Randy...I felt greedy ordering FIVE Pretty Jessicas, but I've gotten over it! I LOVE 'em!
    Have already given little bouquets to a couple of friends.
    This may well be the PERFECT rose for me...managable size, basically thornless, gorgeous blooms, beautiful pink color and wonderfully fragrant. Now if she proves to be very disease resistant, she IS the perfect rose! I'm definitely exploring Heaven On Earth now, and want to learn more about the beautiful rugosa, Polareis, that Bethany has on her post...WOW, what a beauty! I'm a sucker for the pastel roses. Rosarium Uetersen and Prairie Joy are very intriguing, as well.
    Thanks to all who have made this a GREAT thread!

• jennie_in_mt
    13 years ago

As a cold-region gardener, I love this thread. Never too old to bring it back to the top!
    Thanks Celeste

• judydee2_live_com
    13 years ago

I had a Jude the Obscure in clay soil in Montana. It stayed small about 3 years, then took off with large, long canes, and was amazingly robust. Unfortunately rotten winter weather took it (it took even good gardeners' roses that year) soon after. Still, it was a favorite.

I'm a beginner, sort of, and with my poor soil and on-again, off-again gardening style, and giving up sometimes in the Fall -- I'm not sure which roses die because of me and which because of the cold.

Celeste, your thread has really given me hope and instruction. I was getting so tired of pouring through books to find a few Zone 4 roses! Now I'll know it's Me and MY Clay and laziness if my roses die! And, not to be redundant, but WOW! YOUR PHOTOS. It's like a sugar high!
    THANKS!
    Judydee

• painab
    12 years ago

--Something unexpected surprise--

Hello. My friend

=== http://www.betterwholesaler.us/ ====

Dedi cated service, the new style, believing you will love it!!!

WE ACCEPT PYA PAL PAY MENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you!!!

• littlelizzy123
    9 years ago

Had to bring up this thread again, because I've got a bit of room along the east and north side of the house to fill up, and I'm thinking some rose bushes would be lovely there, I LOVE the old world looking roses, with the giant cabbage heads, so Celeste's roses look so tempting! :)

• dani33
    9 years ago

Anyone know where I can buy Pretty Jessica?

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Heirloom Roses has it available.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I was thinking about Celeste the other day and wondering what had become of her: I know she had health issues. Does anybody know anything about how and what she's doing now? I don't remember seeing any posts from Celeste for a very long time, which is why I'm talking about her in the past tense. Celeste, if you are on the forum these days, please excuse me: I haven't seen your messages.
    Celeste's posts were always so beautiful and inspiring, because she showed what it's possible to do in conditions that would make many gardeners throw up their hands. I don't garden in a cold climate, but I really appreciated her.
    Melissa

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

Melissa,
    I was thinking the same thing - whatever happened to Celeste. I hope she is doing well. I purchased a few roses based on her beautiful pictures. Hopefully, she will see this post and come back. She is missed! :-)

• Tami Eisenga
    8 years ago

Anyone know of a hardy climber that has a fragrance, disease resistant and nearly thornless for zone 4?

Celeste, would love to hear from you. Hope all is going well with your family.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

Very beautiful Celeste. You have a beautiful garden.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    8 years ago

I know this is a very old thread so maybe I'm pullin straws for information. .. beautiful gardens! ! Where did you purchase your roses? Are they own root or grafted? I have been wanting to try rosarium uetersen for a while and I have not been able to find Rhode Island red. ..

• Samuel Adirondack NY 4b5a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am in upstate NY Adirondacks. I have Rosariam utersen. I winter protect it with leaves.

Organic rose forum. I like it better. I don't spray. Zone 4 posts get lost and buried here. I don't see the Brownell roses anymore.

If you click on her name Celeste is in the Lily's forum not here.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    8 years ago

Kelly, Rogue Valley Roses and Angel Gardens both list both of these roses you're looking for. They may or may not have them in stock at the moment but it's worth checking with them. Sometimes you can get on a waiting list for a future plant.

https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/ 

and

http://www.angelgardens.com/

Of the two, I'd order from RVR if I were you because they grow in a more similar climate while Angel Gardens is in Florida. Still, if the only place you can buy is at AG, then by all means do. I used to garden in zone 4 for many years and am now just inside zone 5 - but really, I haven't changed a thing in how and what I grow so I'd be happy to help if you need anything by way of advice on cold zone rose gardening. Samuel is correct: Celeste does indeed post on the daylily forum now; although she still has some roses in her gardens, the daylilies are now her focus. (But if you have more questions, you'd probably do better and get more responses by starting your own thread rather than resurrecting and tacking on to an ancient one like this.) :-)

Anne

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

I'd be pleased too help as well. While I'm in zone 5 the majority of my roses are zone 4 hardy and very disease resistant.

8 years ago

Thanks!! I have Rosarium Uetersen on order but RIR is listed as Fields of the wood and is listed as zone 7 on RVR. Does anyone else grow this in zone 4 or have a suggestion of a good, large flowered, brightly colored disease resistant rose for zone 4? I have many Austins but have recently been introduced to Kordes and love the disease resistance. I'm not not a big fan of the rogosas and prefer the cupped or tea form...

I will try the Organic Rose forum (if I can find it!!) as I am new to this and still figuring it out!!

Thanks!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 years ago

Quadra is hardy in z4 and beautiful!

8 years ago

Thanks, Sheila. I have one of those on order as well as Alexander Mackensie... Nice to know it does well in zone 4!!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Kelly, Lady of Shalott and Princess Alexandra of Kent will be crown hardy where you are. Bye them as own root and plant to where the first inch or so of cane is under ground. They are not disease free but not bad. I don't spray and they did fine here.

Jolie Veranda and Easy Elegance Super Hero are both brightly colored and healthy here. Jolie has the fullest bloom of the two.

• Rema
    3 years ago

Kelly Tregaskis Collova. Already four years have passed, well ... I still want to say that on the RVR website it is written that they grow their own-rooted roses and they have 7-8 zone there. In colder areas better you look for grafted roses.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Rema, own root roses grew very well in Alaska where I lived for 33 years z 3. The plant can come back from the root if the top is killed.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@celeste/NH

Hi, Celeste,

I hope you receive this post? Can you list any other favorite roses you grow in zone 4 , esp. fragrant ones? 350 is a lot of roses. Do you grow David Austine zone 4 roses? How do the DA make it through winter?

I am considering referring a friend in upper NY, to try a few for her zone 4 , David Austin roses: Gabriel Oaks, Eustacia Vye, Generous Gardner, Olivia, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Lady Shallot, Poets Wife, & James Galway all zone 4 roses. Do you grow any of these? How do they do? Disease resistant? Winter hardy - protection? I have others in my list same as yours listed above, too. (I grow some of them in my NY zone 6.)

Anyone have ideas on best zone 4 roses?

last year

I am in zone 4 but mn. We have high humidity so blackspot can be problematic here. Most David Austin’s are marginally hardy here; of the ones listed, Lady of Shallot has been my most hardy. I lost Alexandra of Kent and Olivia I lost. The newer ones are more disease resistant but less fragrant. Darcy Bucell has been one that I’ve had for years but is also not as fragrant. Some of the fragrant kordes have actually really been surprising me. Earth Angel has been a star and Madame anisette and summer romance continually perform well in my climate.

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi, Kelly & Vapor,

@celeste/NH

Thank you for your ideas!

i checked my friend’s location and she has humidity, too, so I am reworking my list. Rugosa are good. Kordes are great for no BS in humidity. Do you know what Old Garden Roses are best for zone 4 and humidity?

@Kelly Tregaskis Collova

Earth Angel & Madame Anisette are zone 5, but you have grown them in your zone 4. Are you zone 4a or 4 b? Where in your yard can you grow them? Maybe if you grow them on south side of home it keeps them warmer since they are not nade for your zone? However, climate has warmed all over and temps may not be getting as low as we are zoned, either. Also, did the cold winter get your Olivia?

Olivia does really well in humidity. I have humidity & she gets no BS.

Princess Alexandria of Kent gets BS, so I will not recommend for her.

The DA roses list in my post above are zoned 4, but maybe DA are just not very hardy? Lichfield Angel, though, may be their most hardy rose-I have her and she grows no matter what where I have lost other roses. Yes, I heard less fragrant DA newer ones-thanks. Maybe if planted on south side home they will keep warmer in zone 4.

last year

I’m borderline zone 3. Madame anisette I grow in the back with no protection. I have an earth Angel back there but the three doing really well are on the side of my house so do get some protection. Olivia was a band and planted in a protected location but we did get hit pretty hard the winter I lost her. I have been tempted to try again. Quadra is an excellent red climbing rose that is a favorite but very thorny and sadly no scent. I have a few once bloomers that do well; I’ll have to check on the variety. Another fragrant on that has done well is dames de chenonceau. Scepter d’isle has done well for me also but does get some blackspot. The Canadian explorer series has some good ones as well; some better than others. In these cold climates much of the time you have to choose between rebloom and scent. I have heard good things about Therese burnet but have yet to plant her. Alexandra McKenzie, alchemist, knockouts, and Viking queen, are a few that are supposed to be zone 4, but I’ve tried a couple times without luck. Alchemist and Alexander survive but dont bloom except for a handful if we have a very mild winter.

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Kelly Tregaskis Collova

Thank you….. you are sooooo much help!!!

Where do you have Summer’s Romance (zone 5) planted….side of home, protected?

I have Mme Anisette. I see she is very hardy. Therese Bugnet is one of the most highly recommended. Hansa is very good, too!

I am working on revising my list. Very oen to more suggestions anyone?