Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eureka_gw

Bad roses

eureka
9 years ago

While I am confident in the care of roses, I have not had the opportunity to read about roses that prove to be more pain than enjoyment of the more popular well know roses including striped. I am working in a nursery and can help with planting and care but would like to be able to recommend or steer people away from certain picks.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Eureka

I would search the forum for Lynn (Desert_____ sorry been a long day and my mind is blank) who also lives in the Vegas area. She had some great info on what was working and what wasn't for her.

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

You really need to talk to growers in your area. Maybe a local rose society? You could search on line. My local society has a web page and posts the best roses for my area. it has just a small selection of what really does well, but it would be a place for you to start.

Keep in mind, what does wonderful for one person may not be wonderful for someone right nearby with a different micro-climate. Same with "bad" roses. Not sure there are bad roses. So I would be leery of telling people what to avoid.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Yes, by all means get some LOCAL advice. Particularly in extreme climates such as yours, the thing to do is find roses that like the climate. Many will not - that does not mean they are "bad" roses, it just means they like a different climate. There will be some roses which thrive there. Drive around, look at gardens, look at public gardens. Join any local rose society you can find. I would focus on finding "good" roses for your area, and then recommend them to your clients.

There are some folks on here who live in extreme hot & dry climates - hopefully they will see this and give you some advice.

Jackie

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Search "Desertgarden561" She has started a bunch of really helpful threads

Below is just one

Here is a link that might be useful: Austins

• jujigirl
    9 years ago

I'm in So. Cal and have had very little luck with Lady Emma Hamilton. So far she doesn't grow (even in barrels, with amazing soil), and is diseased. Great blooms when she can muster, but not worth it.

• eureka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jujigirl: I was hoping to hear of roses that seem to have bad reps in general that could/should be avoided. I will add Lady Emma to my list. I am knocked out by Purple Tiger and bought one but even with all the So NV planting necessities for roses to survive here, PT is a very slow to get going rose and have found very similar comments about this rose. Even Weeks Roses mention that the plant is not forth coming with tons of roses and area of the country seems to have little affect. Maybe better to ask people how they have gotten their PT to grow and bloom well. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you gals for responding to me. Roses need true care and special planting locations here in the Las Vegas area to survive and to look good. I have downloaded Weeks list of roses for Hot, Dry climates and it is quite extensive by surprise. I am just trying to avoid some known roses that just don't seem to take off well ever so I can be aware. I will look for recommended posts and view the link provided. Thank you so much.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Eureka, I can't give you any advice from my cold climate but I would like to applaud your interest in gaining knowledge so that you can better help your customers. If we had more knowledgeable nursery people, better able to suggest roses that will succeed for customers, the rose wouldn't get such a bad rap as being a diva and too difficult to grow. The right rose for the right place will lead to success!

• eureka
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil, thank you and thank you again. Your words are very kind. I love working at a nursery and should have done this my whole adult life but God had other plans for me and I can absolutely say that I was used well by him and he allowed me to touch so many people so that both the people and I were so much richer for our experience.

I love teaching people at the nursery. We live in such a harsh climate that gardening is truly difficult for the common gardener here. This isn't CA where plants just grow for the most part. It takes plenty of listening and willingness to go along with those of us who are passionate about teaching residents to get the most from their yards. The people I work with are all as dedicated. Yup I love what I do and it makes my heart sing when people come back to say they have been successful. It's great.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Eureka ... There WAS an active Las Vegas Rose Society .. Some of it may remain. Try the American Rose SocIety Website.

Also, look to Rose groups in Southern AZ and other desert areas.

Start to build a list of GOOD roses, and recommended rose culture techniques for desert conditions.