Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cages

Posted by deervssteve 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 20:49

I calculated that four foot diameter would be enough and the cages looked huge around the babies. The deer have been able to snag a few buds within six inches of the cage.

When I have some time, I'll take them apart and add another 6 feet of fencing to increase the diameter to six feet and increase the protected area another foot from the bush. The bushes will be bigger next year.

I knew they couldn't get anything from the top but never expected getting to the bushes through the fencing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cages

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 22:17

Man those deer are sneaky...

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 12:04

Sounds like it might be easier to fence the whole bed instead.

o

I had the same thought seil had - how about a fence around several roses?

I cage all of our baby roses, but then take off the cages when the roses are big enough not to be killed by some grazing. Our deer are not as hungry as yours - they mostly just nibble. But, they are sneaky about getting through cages! I actually saw a small but not tiny fawn sticking its smaller nuzzle through a cage and grazing on the rose inside.

One time at my MIL's house, in the middle of the night she heard a horrible racket in the back yard that woke her up. Armed with a flashlight, she saw a large (for us) buck running around her patio with a cage caught in its antlers. It was smashing the cage against everything, and eventually the cage fell off and we found it the next morning. My DH then bulit a tall fence all around his mother's back yard, and that worked.

Jackie

o

I'm not worried about the deer killing the roses. I've had about 15 bushes unprotected for over 20 years. The problem is except for the climbers and a few tall bushes they eat almost all the buds and stunt the growth of the bushes. Rose bushes without abundant flowers is not an option.

Fencing isn't an option. I was fortunate to convince my wife to allow cages. Cages are shorter then fences, because they only need to stop grazing, not entry. Cages are temporary and easily removeable. A fence is a more permanent structure and my roses are in the front of the house and a fence would not be attractive.
My backyard is too shady for roses and the one other section that has sun, a fence would block the view of the mountain. Given another property, I would fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here