Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ouch

Posted by deervssteve 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 20:58

My water consumption for the last billing period was 40% higher than last year. I haven't had a lawn for 25 years and water usage has been modest. I think the 5 babies I planted this year aren't responsible for much of it. I probably have been watering the slope where my older roses were too much and generally thinking about taking care of my other plants. From one extreme to another. I will need to start watching how long I am watering next summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ouch

Mulch, mulch, mulch.

this is a great time of year to pick up free sacked-up leaves. I know I'm planning some bag pick-ups. In Dec. you can often pick up mulched Christmas trees--great stuff & smells so wonderful.

Now that it's cooler I need to get another load or two of horse manure & lots of leaves. Where I dumped leaves last year there is actual humus & lots of worms (I'm in the desert)

o

Mulch, and check your irrigation system.

Our system has 6 controllers which have 6 stations each. We check all of them when we turn it on in March. However, whenever I get a substantially larger water bill, my immediate assumption is that we have a leak somewhere.

That just happened, and we checked, and sure enough, we had two leaks - one in a soaker hose which is now buried under spreading ground cover daisies, and is not very visible. The other one I discovered yesterday morning. It is not even part of our automatic irrigation system - it was the top part of a standing hose bib which is attached to a hose and two soaker hoses. It is turned on manually, and then a timer turns it off. Where the timer attached to the other parts was spraying out water - I heard it as I was going out to get the morning paper (we suspect the deer which have been visiting us had something to do with it).

Our water company will refund excess charges if you can prove by pictures and repair bills that you really did have a leak and fixed it.

Jackie

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 11:59

Yeah, me too. I know my water usage was less this season because it was much wetter over all and I deliberately cut back on watering and my bill was still higher! Our rates went up again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here