Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Floribunda with an orange like Tropicana?

Posted by york_rose 6 (coastal MA) (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 23, 10 at 21:02

If you were going to grow a Floribunda rose that was orange in the same way that Tropicana is orange, what Floribunda(s) would you pick?

I'm looking for an orange rose that's more or less the same color as Tropicana, but a bit shorter (say, in zone 6 no more than 3' tall).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Floribunda with an orange like Tropicana?

Marmalade Skies.

o

Umm, Tropicana:-)

My recollection is that in a midwestern zone 5, it was about 3 ft tall. So in an eastern zone 6, it should be about the same.

o

My recollection is that in a midwestern zone 5, it was about 3 ft tall. So in an eastern zone 6, it should be about the same.

Hmmmmmmm.................

Not sure about that. I think it's probably taller than 3'. Fragrant Cloud is 4'+, and I intend to place this nearby (in the same bed, but with a little more sun). Paul Shirville (for those who know it) is also nearby, but it's no more than 3' tall.

o

I ditto Marmalade Skies. What a trooper!!! It's almost bullet proof for fungus in coastal SoCal and in the z8 mountains (no fungus pressure) where we get 4' of snow (but the single or less digits are unusual) it is still a trooper. For z6... I dunno, but I think it's worth a try if you want a cute little dynamo that keeps pumping the flowers. I don't have it in z8, my neighbor across the street does - funny thing, once you have one, you can spot it anywhere. (Btw, it is curbside across the street, so as the plows do tend to plow, 4' could easily build into 6-7' - in spring, they still look just as good).

I think that it is a very under-appreciated rose.

o

Rosa ‘Light My Fire’ or JACcorflo is a Jackson/Perkins floribunda that is very very orange. It's about 2-2.5 feet in my climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog.

o

VAVOOM! it is a tremendous rose that catches attention like mad and smells good too!

o

Marmalade Skies. I've seen Gingersnap and it was similar to Marmalade Skies.

o

Try kanagem. It's a nice orange color.

o

So far the truest orange recommendations are scentless roses (or nearly so).

Any out there that are scented?

o

Orange and fragrance is not a particularly common occurrence. I do have one that I have hopes for, however. That one is Festivity, which I just got from Eurodesert. HMF reports strong fragrance, and the first bloom was very pretty, and very orange, but I don't recall as I sit here whether I ever stuck my nose in that bloom or not.

Almost nothing will beat Marmalade Skies for quantity of bloom, however. It's a bloom fiend.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here