Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjpeace

Favourite Rose flower shape?

I hope I am not reposting this question because I don't see a similar question in the forum.

I was just wondering what everyone favourite flower shape is for roses. I tend to like the hybrid tea or classic rose or cupped rose shape mostly and that usually influence me when I buy new plants.

It is only the last two years that I have been warming up to "the old rose" or rosette shape due to D.A. roses. I tend not to like single shaped roses or those that appear to be "flat" or shallow cup or quartered rosette shapes. I often find that visually these "flat" shape roses had been cut in one half. I know I sounds weird! lol.

Comments (18)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I don't think anyone could put this better than Dean Hole:

âÂÂOf course I do not presume, reverting to the shape of a Show-Rose, to propose stereotyped definitions or uniform models. On the contrary, I am well aware that whether the surface of a Rose be globular, cupped, or expanded, and whether its petals be convex or concave, a perfect gracefulness of form is attainable.âÂÂ
    -- Dean S. Reynolds Hole, Caunton Manor, August 1870
    'A Book About Roses'

The late, great, Ray Reddell also referred to this, when he remarked that, early in his rose learning process, he'd said he disliked roses that were single, and pink.

Then, he found that some of the worlds best roses were single -- and pink.

:-)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

For years it was only the sculptured elegant high centered HTs, or floribs, at their semi-open stage.

Enter Austins. In the open stage love buttoned blooms like 'Evelyn' with a silky texture. Or quartered like 'Colette' can often be. Then the petal packed shallow blooms like 'Symphony' and 'Harlow Carr'. Cupped blooms with muddled centers.

Equally as important as bloom/bud shape is texture/substance and color. Not sure where 'Carding Mill' fits, but it's colors are so glorious I don't care.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My favorite is probably the cup-shaped roses with many petals since I love the romantic, lush look of the old roses. However, I believe in diversity and my garden has many different shapes. The only roses I don't like are the typical modern hybrid teas with their stiff canes and long buds, which often end up in rather shapeless or on the other hand too-perfect open flowers, often in rather strong colors. I don't mean to offend anyone; this is strictly a personal opinion and it would be a dull world if everyone thought as I do.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I could never pick just one form. I truly do love them all. Yes, the beauty of a perfectly spiraled HT is magnificent but then so is the amazing grace of a petal packed Graham Thomas or the crushed daintiness of Reine des Violettes. And you can not forget the simple elegance of Dainty Bess.

{{gwi:231251}}

They're all gorgeous in my eyes!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Deeply cupped are my favorite! The number of petals don't even matter if they make those pretty cups.

I also love seeing layers of petals like this:
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.225832

or this:
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.135344

I have both of those :D

I like a lot of shapes, though. My least favorite is probably anything that blows open sloppily and too quickly, but if it has pretty buds I'll probably still love even those.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I take it back because Dainty Bess looks very nice. Thanks Seil.

No offense taken, Ingrid. That is why all of us are here for, to absorb everyone else's opinion to open our eyes and heart, well the mind as well. Actually I do agree with you, which is why I have been growing different types of roses over the years. I try to take advantage of different types of rose species and their growth habits. I don't mind the "wild" habit of shrub roses like D.A. rose which Is why I plant them at the back along with climbing roses. At the front where I need some type of controlled formality, I prefer Hybrid teas and the like.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks JeriJen for the nice quote. It is very funny too.I believe the original roses were single as well.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

I am drawn to tall centers. I got rid of Opening Night due to flat open pancake form. Plus, there's a lot of tall center reds to choose from. Now I am not quite as picky, cause I like Beverly and it has a tendency to flatten. Maybe it's the fragrance that redeems it? Autumn Splendor is another one of my favorites and it opens sort of flat. Love the color and garden appeal.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Seil, I think your picture captured the beauty of Dainty Bess!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yes, Seil -- GREAT image of Dainty Bess. Another rose in the same mold is 'Poulsen's Pearl.'

Original Author
    9 years ago

I always knew that that big mouth of mine will get me in trouble. Now I have to add Dainty Bess and Poulsen's Pearl on my already 100 Plus future rose list. lol.

Thank You JeriJen. PP looks very nice too. I never thought I would had liked single pink roses. Back to the drawing board for me.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, you are following in the footsteps of many other fine rosarians -- discovering the beauty of the simple single form.

To be honest -- single and semi-double roses are among my favorites.

Consider, for instance, 'Bishop Darlington.'

JeriJen

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

I bought a couple of the "rare" polyanthas Vintage was selling right before they closed and they have turned out to be really lovely plants. Small, dainty blooms, very delicate. I was thinking of how wonderful the range of beauty among rose blooms. I can't say which I prefer as they are all beautiful in their own way. Love love love these polyanthas though. They are just heart breaking to look at!

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

for a small planting design job I researched roses, more unusual ones and ended up with the vintage Polyantha Anna-Marie de Montravel.

When researching I found a pic in another forum, heart-breaking ly beautiful (guess I know what you mean, jaspermplants...).
    I just had to get one for myself as well and will get the order this weekend.

I am wary of those extremly double tea hybrids, in our region they tend to rott instead of opening if we have a rainy spell. Actually I just shovel pruned it.

Here is a pic which made me order one of those lovely ones

it seems to be really small and is described to hardly grow taller than a foot 4inches.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I didn't particularly care for single at first either...until I saw a couple in person at a rose show. There was a gorgeous Altissimo that took best in show one year and I was hooked! I have several now and each one has it's own elegance and beauty.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

While I've never seen any single roses in person, some of the pictures are beautiful. Seil, you have some lovely ones. I don't think I have a favorite shape, because there are so many beautiful ones. I think the combination of the shape and the coloration of the rose can make for a very lovely bloom, like this one of Tiffany.

• laura242424
    9 years ago

^^ I have Compassion climbing rose and I was sure that was it! Never noticed that.

For sure my favorite are swirled cup-shaped roses like Eden rose.

From http://i-lostinausten.blogspot.com/2011/11/ma-vie-en-rose.html:

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bishop Darlington looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing JeriJen. I really like the informal non-fuss but relaxed look. I am beginning to realize that singles and semi-doubles give it a very relaxed feel compared to the highly formal hybrid teas.

Anna-Marie de Montravel has that spring fresh look and it would really nice at night too. I really like it. It would look good in front of a garden. I bet it would really shine under a summer moon sky. Thanks Linaria.

Thanks Sara-Ann for Tiffanny. I have seen this rose many times but never had the chance to buy one. I like this shade of pink in roses. It doesn't scream at you..lol.

I agree with you Laura, which is why I bought mine this past spring. I only saw it flower once though but it was really nice. I am crossing my finger that it doesn't die under this snow. I am thinking of getting the red eden if it is available in my area.