Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Happy Polyantha

Kippy
10 years ago

I thought I would start a new topic for people to add too

This is Britannia, a from a rooted cutting from DanTy, from earlier this year. Boy is it happy! I missed a couple of weeks of pinching buds and discovered it was busy. I left them for moms party

Comments (14)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Oh goody--the polyanthas. They are such cuties!

Here are two fairies for the price of one:
    {{gwi:283015}}

Mothersday
    {{gwi:207551}}

I also have a Ceceile Brunner, but, alas, no picture. Must remedy that this coming summer.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I have 3 polys but I think my favorite is Zenaitta. It's vigorous and healthy and blooms it's head off!

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Here's Cl Cecile Brunner - looks great framing our window from the inside too...

Jackie

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have Perle dâÂÂOr, Marie Pavie, Clotilde Soupert and a new Cl Cecile Brunner. I love them all, but Perle dâÂÂOr is my favorite. Looking at all of your gorgeous pictures, I think I NEED a darker colored poly nowâ¦lol

HereâÂÂs a spray of Perle dâÂÂOr with Marchesa Boccella, Rose de Rescht and the bourbon Maggie. PdO makes a great cut flowerâ¦

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I discovered earlier this year (after all these years) that 'Lady Ann Kidwell' ALSO makes a great cut flower. Here she is with "Benny Lopez."

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

And I don't want to slight 'Lady Reading.' Always in bloom. She survived the repaving of our Lane, early this spring -- inches from her roots -- and never showed a sign of stress.

Jeri

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Alright Jeri, I went to HMF and looked up Benny Lopez based on your beautiful picture⦠and hereâÂÂs the description they provide:

Deep pink with a purple tone, (Sometimes described as "Cerise"). Color lightens almost to "shocking" pink in hot weather. Darkens to a deep, firey purple-tinged red in cool weather. Hundreds of petals, darker toward the center of the bloom.. Strong, damask, spice fragrance. Very full (41+ petals), borne mostly solitary, button-eye, old-fashioned, quartered, reflexed bloom form. Continuous (perpetual) bloom throughout the season. Long sepals, decorative buds.

NOW WHO COULD RESIST A ROSE WITH THAT DESCRIPTION!!! And so another rose goes on my long wish listâ¦you people are killing me

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Well, looks like Benny isn't available commercially...guess I can cross that one off the list

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Jacqueline, I adore your climbing Cecile Brunner. I had no idea it was such a prolific climber! Hope the one I have is the bush one--cuz I do not have space for a climber that is that ambitious! LOL

All the polys are good-looking, aren't they!

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

But the bush form of Mlle. Cecile Brunner is a continuous-bloomer, which makes up for a lot. And it can get fairly tall, if allowed to.

Another of that family that I really, really like is 'White Cecile Brunner.' It opens rich ivory here, and fades to white, with a delicate button eye. And it is as prolific a bloomer as the original pink.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Jeri for the White Cecile Brunner mention. How tall does she get?

I love my Lady Ann Kidwell, the wine colored new growth that seems to zig and zag. That is also one happy rose in our garden.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Kippy, my plant is yet immature, but in every way she has been a match for the original pink. So I expect she would also match the size.

I should say, this is a rose I wanted for years, and I am very glad to have her.

Jeri

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy Lady Ann Kidwell.

She is about 3 feet tall and has a couple dozen buds.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Doesn't she just have the loveliest foliage imaginable?

Jeri