See:

http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20131121/LIFESTYLE/131129817

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newspaper article - plant Knockouts now, zone 5

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 12:47

Hmmm...I have to disagree. Now is not the time to plant roses in a cold climate. I don't care if they're bareroot, potted or, god forbid, bands it's too late. KOs may be classed as shrubs but they are still roses not shrubbery like lilacs or viburnums.

o

So I have a question. You bought a knockout today and have it in a pot...is it better there or in the ground till spring, and why?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 21:10

If it's potted I'd garage for the winter and plant it in the spring. I have never had good luck planting roses in the fall. I've even planted as early as September and they still didn't survive their first winter. I can't tell you why because apparently others plant in the fall and have good luck with it. But for my money I just don't bother to buy anything in the fall and that way I don't have to worry about it. If an on line supplier isn't willing to ship in the spring I don't order. I don't shop nurseries in the fall for sales because if it's just going to die it's not a bargain at any price.

o

Thanks for the explanation. What I have learned is a blanket statement can't be made. If you are in zone 5 and just bought a knockout and can possibly can get it in the ground it is probably better there. The thermal mass against temp extremes is better.

While the choice of planting at this time of year, in cold zones, doesn't appeal to some the reality is that if it won't live in the ground it probably will die in a pot, if not heavily protected. So, as many nurseries suggest, if you can get it in the ground do so.

SCG

o

I purchased for many years (since the early 70s) from Pickering and followed their fall planting instructions. In general it worked out well but sometimes I had problems.

My purchases were normally winter hardy roses that knew how to shut down for the winter. I never had much sucess (fall or spring) with what I call J and P type, Texas, California Dr. Huey budded, big box store, hybrid teas that probably were virused.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here