Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Summer in November

kittymoonbeam
10 years ago

97 F in San Gabriel, CA today ( the hottest place in the USA today ) That is just 5 minutes from the gates of the Huntington in San Marino. I was going to visit today but I'm glad I didn't. It was probably a rose fry there. It was 93-94 F here where I am in Orange County. I like fall weather better. All I did today was water. It felt like August. How are the rest of you doing?

Comments (31)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

93 here on the ridge top in Encino. I know what you mean. Where's the bloody rain?! I'm SUPPOSED to be able to transplant seedlings this month to make room for the new seeds..."supposed".. Kim

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

77 here. That weather seems odd for CA this time of year. I can remember traveling to the Santa Clarita Valley in mid to late November to chop down a Xmas tree, and it being chilly enough to bundle up a little during the day.... well sweaters and light weight jackets.

Our summers are scorchers, and thus I feel we earn the temperatures that are pretty mild from there on. I hope it does not come our way. How confusing that would be for the plants....

Lynn

• henryinct
    10 years ago

Somewhere in the 90's here in Pasadena. The poor roses were finally getting a break and now this.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

We HAD a pretty heavy marine layer, almost looked like rain, for nearly two days. The actual rain was held off by the high pressure over Nevada and Arizona, which is what increased the temps here today. Fortunately, it's to cool off quite a bit over the next few days. Kim

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Heh, heh...while we baked in the 100s this summer, every time I looked at the weather map, it was 83 degrees in LA, and SF never made it up to 70 (I know know this is considered normal for SF), so I'm sorry, sort of, for you...mainly for your roses. Diane

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

It's been hot here too for this time of year. We got into the low 90's early in the week and "cooled" down to mid-80's the past couple days. Seems way too hot for this time of year, even for here. Am sick sick of heat. Geez, it's almost Thanksgiving!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Freezing here--but upswing in temps predicted in the next few days.

Definitely late autumn here and any blooms leftover in the garden are looking rather pathetic. : (

Kate

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

29 F & windy yesterday morning in nyc, up to about 40 F in the afternoon. today will be warmer; it's 37 F now, up to about 50 F later on. I'm already counting the days till spring 2014. sigh....

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Been in the (unseasonably high) 70s and 80s up here in the Sierras. We need rain really badly. Our reservoirs up here where you guys in SoCal get your water from, are the lowest I've ever seen. If we don't get a snow pack up the higher Sierras this winter, we're gonna be in a world of hurt come spring. We won't be able to water the plants! And there'll be water rationing.

I'm sure you've noticed the weather patterns have changed all over the country the last couple yrs. I'm certainly no expert, but when you hear that the earth's axis has shifted twice in the last few yrs, it stands to reason that our climate and weather patterns are going to be different all over the globe. This may not be a temporary "unusual" weather we're having. This may become our norm. I don't believe in "Global Warming." I believe our planet is doing its own thing... evolving and changing as it always has for centuries. And it's trying to purge itsself of us parasites.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Here it's unseasonably hot, with Santa Ana winds blowing, which makes it doubly miserable, and increases the chances of large wildfires.

Beth, I say this with all respect because everyone is entitled to her/his own opinion, but there is not a reputable scientist in the world today who does not believe, because of irrefutable evidence, that global warming is a fact and is caused by the unprecedented pollutants put into the atmosphere over the last 50 years or so. We're certainly doing our best to destroy ourselves, but unfortunately along with us the beauty and innocence of the natural world are also dying.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    10 years ago

It was warm here yesterday, took some nice rose photos at my bosses place (will post later) But last night the winds kicked up so guessing I will have a lot of clean up at moms today.

Funny, cause it was almost still here at the same time other parts of town had trees down, fumigation tents flying and power lines arching.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Freezing here with nicer weather from time to time.
    Rose quit blooming here around mid October or so.
    We received our first snow the other day at 1/2 an inch...lol

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Beth, I would add what our planet has been doing for THOUSANDS even MILLIONS of years.

Ingrid, there is a long list of reputable scientists who dispute the global warming theory and possible agenda.

The verdict is still out as far as I am concerned regarding the LEVEL of impact humans are having upon the earth's climate. Since it's existence, climate changes have occurred on earth and some have not been as subtle as what we see, and that is a fact versus a prediction or small scale/scope analysis, but often we view our environment from a human perspective versus a geological or scientific perspective.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 13:52

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Unseasonably cold here. We're running about 15 degrees colder than normal for November. Our high the other day was only 35. But...they say we could hit 60 on Sunday! Rain, of course, lol!

My roses are done though. Anything that was still out there spent a few nights in the low 20s and is totally frozen. Even if it warms up again (Indian Summer, maybe?) they won't open.

We sucked up all the leaves today. I have 14 bags to use on the winter pot ghetto. I'll probably be putting them in sometime in the next couple of weeks. Then it will be the long wait for April.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Blazing heat again today. I do hope for a rainy winter. I'm looking into a greywater system for the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: 95% certainty that climate change is manmade

• campv 8b AZ
    10 years ago

Hoovb I would be interested in the grey water system. Please post you findings
    Thanks

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I think a greywater system is in our future. I DO believe the evidence that the planet is warming.

Moreover, the idiots in charge of our little town have had a field day for much of the past two decades -- pouring cement and asphault over strawberry fields and orchards to build massive (mostly un-rented) industrial buildings and over-grown houses. As a side-effect, our LOCAL climate is warming rapidly.

Beth -- OUR water comes from aquifers that originate as snow in the Transverse Ranges -- but they, too, have been starved of precipitation, so the aquifers are struggling.

Those few cool days that we had, the roses were bursting into bloom. Now, most of that is potpourri. :-( We matched a high-temp record, yesterday, with 92 deg. here, where we can "see the sea." Today, tho, was 11 deg. cooler, and it's supposed to drop another 10 or so by tomorrow. I am SOOOOOO ready for winter.

Jeri

• Kippy
    10 years ago

We had record highs yesterday too, 85 I think I heard.

I took these photos in the morning at my bosses drive way. The horse fence is tall, over 4 feet not sure if it is 5.

Why I like Iceberg :)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I think this is Tournament of Roses

• Kippy
    10 years ago

A little crispy but not bad

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Something red (did not find a tag)

• kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I watch the weather report but it isn't as good as hearing it firsthand from all of you. If your roses are starting their long winter's nap now, please still come here to say hi. We all need cheer and advice in any season.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

We got our first freeze in Dallas yesterday morning, and it has been chilly today. Sunday supposed to be 80; bet the roses will just love that...

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

Been a little chilly here this week. 23 this morning and 21 yesterday morning. I live in a small valley area and the cold air comes over the mountains and drops right into my little micro climate yard. It's been chilly so far this month.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I don't blame you, Kippy. Traffic forced me to drive around a block I don't normally travel a couple of years ago, which permitted me to enjoy this shot. It was so great, I took the camera with me a day or so later simply to be able to record the view. I've driven down that street several times since just to enjoy the sight. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Kim, what a nice pic. Do you have any idea which roses those are?

Kate

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Yes ma'am, Kate. Iceberg and Brilliant Pink Iceberg. This is why they are ubiquitous here in Southern California. They just DO this if permitted, without any special treatment. Put them in at least the minimum requirements and leave them alone. This is usually what you get. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have never seen a real live Iceberg -- not a Midwestern rose, I guess. Maybe they BS here? I don't know. They sure are attractive there, aren't they!

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Just checked my garden. After several nights of freezing temps, all my roses have had it--except one. Red Intuition evidently isn't bothered by temporary freezings--two big beautiful blooms out there, maybe just slightly limp around the edges, but other wise, blooming and happy! I would have thought a florist rose like Red Intuition would be more sensitive to cold. Guess not.

Do any of you have roses that are still doing their thing after several cold nights?

Kate

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Kate, I was surprised today to see about 6 new buds on Julia Child. One limp flower that was on the bush awhile. I wouldn't have thought it would still be pushing out buds, so now I'm waiting to see if they will get to open before another cold night. I think we're supposed to warm up for a few days.

Very pretty roses out California way!

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Well Jeri, I don't know exactly where our water goes down south, but I know it does get sold to parts of SoCal. My husband was down at the local marina the other day, where the lake is, and it's lower than it's ever been. You can't even launch the boats from there any more because it's so low. And the main reservoir is lower than ever also.

I hear we're supposed to get some rain in the coming week, and I certainly hope we do! It's finally beginning to cool down too. Personally, I hate winter and am not looking forward to it. But we really need a good cold winter this yr. The last two have been pretty mild. I just don't want to end up with water rationing! If that happens, I'll lose a lot of roses.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!