Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Memorial Day H.T.

Hi,

HMF has this rose listed at approximately 43" x 4.5' in size. Also shown is the bush growing near USC and it is huge; described to be 8' x 6'. Those of you who grow or have seen this bush, could you please tell me how large a mature bush is in your garden, and how would you describe the color?

Lynn

Comments (13)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Mine had a tall narrow growth habit in the beginning. It would get about 5 feet tall and maybe 2 or 3 feet wide. Of late it hasn't been doing very well and is getting smaller each season. It may not make it through the winter this time. The blooms are quite pretty but they do have a tendency to ball in high humidity because of all the petals. It does black spot a lot too.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil,

Is yours grafted or own root? I was hoping to keep it to about 4-5 feet in height and 3 ft. In width.

Not much in the way of humidity here... So fungal issues are rare, but we get more than our share of dry heat during the summer.

Lynn

• prickles
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    I grow MD as own-root, and it suckers like crazy. I have it in a pot but have been considering--and shall, I think--putting it in the ground so it can do what it likes without my having to pull the sucker babies off etc... MD is about 6ft ht x 3 ft w, but will get wider as the sucker offsprings grow, I believe. I just love this rose and its big, fragrant flowers; it has always been clean for me--no rust, no mildew.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Prickles, what do you think of MD's color?

I like this rose so much, including its story. I must remeasure to see how much space I have
    . The issue isn't the height as it can become 10' tall if inclined, I have limited space in terms of width.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 13:34

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I actually have two plants. The one I bought as MEMORIAL DAY is in a bed that is often more shaded, or dappled light, than full sun. It's a rather large plant. Probably peaking about just under 6ft tall and maybe 3ft wide. The other plant was a mismarked bagged bareroot I got probably from HD. Was supposed to be BEWITCHED, but after the first blooming it was quite obvious it was MD. There's no mistaking that rose! That plant is on the outer perimeter of the west-side fence area where it gets much more sun than the original one. It is only about 3ft high and 2ft wide. They're both grafted, I assume, on Dr Huey. The mislabeled one is only a yr or so younger than the first one, so they should theoretically be the same size, but maybe the soil condition isn't as good in the fence beds. But being in full sun you'd think it might grow taller. I dunno. I do know, they both get huge, gorgeous, smelly blooms that just take your breath away! I love how they get some scallopy edges and that perfect, long-lasting spiral, and the beautiful two-toned mauvey-pink. I don't recall seeing much disease on either plant. Altho some yrs, if we get a particularly wet winter or early spring, even the so-called "disease-free" roses will get some BS for the first month or so. But I don't really remember MD getting much. It's definitely a rose you'll be happy you have!

This is the one in the slightly shaded bed. I took this pic over the weekend, and this bloom is still looking good after several days, and it was at about 5ft.
    {{gwi:344968}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. Thank you all. I am going to try it. If it becomes too large then one winter I will have to move it.

Beth, thank you for the image.

Lynn

• susan4952
    10 years ago

It is a beautiful rose in my zone 5 garden. Would describe her as a true clear medium pink. Fragrance is good, strong. About 4 ft x 3 ft, with a vase or urn like shape. Blossoms are huge, hand sized. Very healthy for me.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Buds unfurl in a kind of kaleidoscopic
    Fashion . Very cool rose.

• prickles
    10 years ago

Lynn,

MD is a soft pink and will fade--no, fade is incorrect, grow, rather--to a lighter shade of pale pink on blush pearl as the flower ages. It has a richer, deeper pink in bud form but will show two tones of pink on pink on reverse. Yes, the scalloped fringes are lovely on the blossoms and--I don't know whether or not you grow Yves Piaget--YP has that beautifully scalloped fringes effect too, and a very generous bloomer with very quick repeat, but I digress here.

Pic shows two flowers of MD from two plants: one plant gets more sunlight than the other; the paler, bigger bloom gets less light and is more fragrant.

This post was edited by prickles on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 14:53

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Lynn, my plant is grafted and was a very cheapie body bag rose so not of the best quality. I did really love those huge icy pink blooms but I don't think it's going to live much longer. For a while I had it next to Queen Elizabeth and it way out preformed her.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

YumO. C :

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I can't add much to the discussion - since I'm in a far different zone, but here's my Memorial Day bud picture. Rose is grown in a pot.

Carol

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Wow! Isn't this a great rose? Does well in a pot, too? My tree rose also does well, but not as much as the one in the ground. I always wonder why she doesn't bloom on Memorial Day. Not a great pic of the tree form, just to show how late she blooms . Taken a few days ago.