Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
view1ny

local rose nurseries in north dallas/plano/frisco

view1ny NY 6-7
10 years ago

any texans who can advise me? I would love to find a garden center where I can see a variety of modern roses, climbers, Austins & OGRs. does such a place exist? I'd rather see the plant than order online.

Also, when are bareroots available in Dallas? February? March? April? TIA

Comments (11)

• catsrose
    10 years ago

Chamblee's in Tyler is absolutely worth the drive!

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know about Chamblee's & ARE in Tyler and am hoping to be able to make the trip. I was hoping to find a nursery closer to North Dallas.

Here in NY, the bareroots are available for sale in April & was wondering how much earlier they are out in Texas.

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

North Haven Gardens in North Dallas has a good selection of modern and OGR's, usually sometime in February.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ogrose, thanks for the info. just what I needed to know.

• lou_texas
    10 years ago

Ogrose is right. You can't beat North Haven Gardens. It can be tricky to find, but print out a map and go there and you'll never be sorry. Inventory in roses will pick up after the first of the year when they get their big shipments from Chamblees and ARE and others. You might call and see what's available before you go if you're looking for something specific. Go to nhg.com to see their rose list. Lou

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I third Ogrose's suggestion for North Haven. It is my "go to" nursery, and easily has the greatest selection of roses. They only got about 5 varieties of Austins last year, but their OGR selection is impressive.

Josh

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, y'all. I'm salivating already.

Can you give me an idea of what nhg charges for bareroots? container roses?

• joshtx
    10 years ago

View,

They don't sell bareroots in the spring because Texas weather is so mild.

They are licensed to sell Chamblee and ARE roses for their OGR and Austins. They're usually somewhere around ~$25.00. They are all two gallon potted plants.

Josh

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, thanks for the info.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Might be cheaper to drive to Tyler - Chamblees charges $9-12 for their roses. I used to live in Dallas and frequented North Haven Gardens - always a class act. When I was going through my begonia stage, I loved going there as they had so many unusual varieties. If you want roses early, ordering is fun. I am looking at the new David Austin catalog and see a few I want. Have fun!
    Judith

• view1ny NY 6-7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judith, thanks for the idea. What I was thinking of is slightly nuts: I'm planning on being in Dallas in April, when bareroots are just hitting the nurseries here in NY & the selection is very limited. I don't want to order in advance as I've been disappointed in the past when I got puny plants in the mail; I want to see the plant in person to check out the canes & blooms. It's also much more fun to make a selection that way.

SO I got this idea of shopping in Texas & either shipping them back home to NY or somehow pack them up for travel & sneaking them into my suitcase. DH thinks I'm certifiable. It might work. or not.