Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_toes

Best Red Climbers

rose_toes
10 years ago

I am trying to pick a fantastic red climbing rose for a prominent sunny spot on the front of my house. I'd like it to produce blooms on old and new wood, grow quite large and be a real show stopper. I would appreciate suggestions or advice...

So far I am considering...
Don Juan
Dublin Bay
Improved Blaze

Mary

Comments (18)

• DrPekeMom
    10 years ago

I have Red Eden, which behaves very nicely in my

• rose_toes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've read the favorable comments about all of them. It would be helpful to know if anyone has grown all of them and found one to be most outstanding and for what particular reasons.

• northtexasdude
    10 years ago

We are in the same zone, and if you are open to a different rose, you may want to consider Red Cascade.
    I have had DJ and Blaze and was not impressed with the blackspot they got. Red Cascade has little issues in my area of North Texas.
    The stalks are thin, so they are extremely easy to train up a trellis. They also 'cascade' over a pot if allowed. Can get very big.
    Drawback - small flowers with no scent, but a beautiful plant.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

I just had to share this...Armadeus is such an outstanding rose here. It only blooms for about 4-5 weeks in the spring but I am starting to see more blooms thru out the summer.I know you are looking for a constant bloomer. This rose has No blackspot and no scent, but a show stopper...YES! Thanks for letting me share..I love this rose and I grow 4th of July next to it, which blooms all year. Lesley

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

Look up 'Orfeo'. Mine is still young, but I picked it out based on the rave reviews from the few who have tried it. Coming as a band Spring 2013, it hit 6' tall when it went in the ground a few months later. It hasn't bloomed yet, but has continued growing laterals after I wrapped its canes around the trunk of a tree.

:-)

~Christopher

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I've had Don Jaun, own root, on Dr Huey and on Fortuniana rootstock. On Fortuniana it is a huge bush covered in large satin red blooms. When bush comes to shove, it is the only repeat blooming climber I will ever have.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Agree with ken. Fragrance, hardiness, performance in my Chicago garden is wonderful. I am not a fan of reds but I will never be without Don Juan.

• Maude80
    10 years ago

I have several Don Juans and I absolutely love them. They bloom repeatedly for me through the summer and their flowers really are beautiful. I'm not sure about blackspot because I spray all of my roses anyway, but I would highly reccomend it.

• rose_toes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan, I'm not a fan of reds either! But I'm working on this thing called 'compromise' and my husband wants red. I suppose if we're to be communist then we should at least do it right.

Lesley, that is a beautiful red rose! I'd like such a show!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I second the Don Juan. It is bullet proof in my climate and blooms in 100 degree+ temperatures. I am not a big fan of bright reds, I do not dislike them, but love deep romantic reds like that of Don Juan and the purplish reds.

Are you in a zone 8 that is humid like Texas or more similar to inland upper Northern California?
    It could make a difference{{gwi:807}} in terms of your final selection.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 23:47

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

I would suggest having a look at Too Hot to Handle available from Heirloom Roses. I had one for quite a while until it got rose rosette. It bloomed quite regularly with clusters of bright scarlet flowers. I grew it as a large shrub rather than a climber, but it would probably do well for you. I would grow it again if I had the space, but it got too big for the spot it occupied. While it is not the greatest picture, below is a picture of what the bush did look like.

{{gwi:345165}}

Perhaps this one will spark your interest.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

I had two Blaze climbers and they were both blackspot magnets here in southern Ontario.

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Rose toes, I have posted this pic before, but this shows the character of DJ. Sometimes I don't anchor them.
    Happy new year!

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Even great in a vase!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It depends partly on what shade of red you are looking for--the moody romantic red with blue tones of Don Juan or a bright red red (no blue tones) of Dublin Bay or the orange-toned red of Too Hot to Handle.

I don't have a good picture of Dublin Bay but maybe this will give you an idea of its nonfading red red:

{{gwi:345167}}

And another:
    {{gwi:345168}}

Hope that helps.

Kate

• rose_toes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bustopher and Kate...thank you for the pictures. They're very helpful. Bustopher, I ordered 'Too hot to handle' because I love that bright red. And then I ordered both DB and DJ *sigh* :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Hey, a real sucker for a pretty face, obviously.

: )

Kate

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor