Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karl_bapst_rosenut

Jung Seeds Catalog arrived today.

karl_bapst_rosenut
13 years ago

It has 4 and 1/2 pages of Grade one roses, most of them hardy varieties. Among them are many of the Canadian Morden series of roses. It also includes two new Radler Roses, Peppermint Pop and Milwaukee Calatrava. Both have many more petals than other Radler roses.Peppermint Pop is a pink and white bicolor while the other is pure white. Past purchases from Jung has netted me some really healthy and nice sized roses. The Mordens and Radler roses are own root.

Comments (11)

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

I'm very curious about the new Radler roses. Has anyone seen either in person? I'd like to know if the Milwaukee Calatrava really is fragrant. I'll probably wait and see if their outlet store gets either of them in rather than ordering.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

Thanks Karl...I saw the new catalog on my desk this evening along with today's junk mail and I was just going to toss it into recycling. Now I'll have to go take a look! ;-)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    13 years ago

Well, Peppermint Pop and Milwaukee's Calatrava do sound interesting. I do object to their recommending the Brownell climber "Show Garden" for zone 4, but all in all they are doing a much better job than most with their hardier rose selections, aren't they?
    And that Bella Anna hydrangea on the cover really has me tempted although I'm a bit skeptical of a 4" pot for $15 + shipping! I just wish some local nursery here would carry Bailey's plants. I'll have to make my rounds again early this spring and put in requests - one of these years one of them may listen to me!

• milleruszk
    13 years ago

Other than Karl, has anyone else purchased roses from Jung?
    Thanks!

• athenainwi
    13 years ago

I've only bought from their catalog once, and one of the roses hasn't done well and the other didn't make it through the winter. But I believe it was the varieties that I bought rather than any fault of Jungs. Their roses aren't the best that I've bought (that would be Palatine roses) but they were definitely better than body bag roses. I live next to one of the Jungs outlet stores so I mostly buy potted roses from there and only order if I think they won't carry it at the outlet.

• professorroush
    13 years ago

I tried once and Jung's forgot my order....but they were able to find it and confirm that they hadn't filled it when I finally called in late May and asked about it...too late to plant in the heat spells I get by then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog

• predfern
    13 years ago

Are any of the Brownell roses hardy in zone 5a? I am looking for roses that are double, fragrant, disease resistant, and that survive the winter without protection.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the Brownell roses were bred to be hardy in cold growing zones. I tried them when I first began to grow roses but they were grafted and I planted the graft above the ground as directed on the pkg. The graft froze and the roses never recovered. I think if the graft was buried or the roses were own root, they'ed do better.
    I may try them again since I've become more experienced.
    I may order the six shown. since they're listed as two year old grade 1 roses, I presume they're grafted. I'll just plant the graft 4-6 inches deep.

• hikerman
    13 years ago

I was also interested in trying roses from Jung. Do they ship bare root or are they potted? I couldn't find anything in the catalog that said how they're shipped.

• neroseman
    13 years ago

Careful! In my experience & from reports, their Brownells are virused, as are those from all the bargain paper catalogs that arrive around now.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

An e-mail I received today from Jungs states,"The Brownell Sub-Zero Roses are grafted."
    I don't worry about RMV. For some reason, (maybe because I don't worry about it), RMV doesn't seem to affect the health of my roses much. If I have one that doesn't perform well, I enjoy what blooms I get and don't get excited.