Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avalonweddingsbcs

bare root roses?

looking for a place to order bare root roses..

any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

If you let us know where you are geographically you will get suggestions for nurseries close to you.

Jackie

• john_ca
    9 years ago

Some of our favorite vendors are are:

-Edmunds Roses (Wisconsin)
    -Regan's Roses (California)
    -Palantine Roses (Canada)
    -S&W Roses (Tennessee)

I am sure that there are many more.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

John's suggestions are good. I'm especially partial to Palatine's, but if I remember correctly, most of their roses are grafted on muli-flora.

Two good own-root places I like to order from are Roses Unlimited (South Carolina) and Chamblees (Texas). The Antique Rose Emporium (also Texas) is another good one.

Or if you are closer to Florida, try Rose Petals Nursery or Angel Gardens Nursery for own root roses.

There are other good places also, but these should get you started first-rate!

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I recommed Chamblees. Great selection at a good price. I also answered you in the Texas Forum. Good luck in your search.

• avalonweddingsbcs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

central texasâ¦. technically I'm a zone 8.34159â¦. not fully a zone 9â¦

rose emporium is only antique roses⦠kinda wanting floribundas or hybrid teasâ¦

i have over 400 rosesâ¦. i tend to buy them 10-15 at a time⦠or moreâ¦

www.avalonweddingsbcs.com

need to replace some scentamental and some crystalines⦠my golden shower climber is not a good climberâ¦. trying to find climbers that bloom a lotâ¦. i have plenty of knockoutsâ¦

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you have a non box store nursery nearby that carries roses? I can think of two here in SoCal that still do the big tubs with sawdust and bareroots. They are much more than the box stores but they are better quality and you can pick your rose bush. Here they run $13-19 depending variety.

BUT you might want to check in to some of those old Tea roses, being in a warm climate and having an outdoor venue, if you want flowers in the cool season, those teas might be the ticket. With a big plus of not having to prune off anything other than dead wood and if eventually they get too big a big of shaping. Check out G Nabonnand, it is a soft pale apricot that looks very bridal. This one is a bit smaller or so I hear (my plant is a baby but is still covered in bloom)

If you want a David Austin that should provide some nice pink pow to the back of the beds, look at Bishops Castle. Mine is covered in blooms today and about 10' across.

• msdorkgirl
    9 years ago

Heirloom Roses --- I just purchased my first mail-order from there and it came nicely shipped. I was a bit disappointed on the size of it but it is own root and the band size so that's normal size. At least it was more than what my stem propagation would look like so I'm crossing my fingers that El Catala will be pretty next year.

The pic is the plant one month later (I am very impatient so will probably never buy own root in band size ever again).

• avalonweddingsbcs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

we have a lowes and a home depotâ¦. and i don't buy from themâ¦. Its a hospice for plants to go die in..

nearest place is at least 125 miles.. and i don't have time to drive there and backâ¦. i pretty much to ALL the landscaping⦠and its time to plant bulbs this weekâ¦

i want big, i want pretty, and i want blooming all the time⦠i want zero maintenance and i want them freeâ¦

so since i probably cant get all that ( i dream big)⦠i try to get as close to that as possible..

we had a nursery⦠but the lady got another job and the new person doesnt know much⦠but the rules for new plants were⦠bloom year around, no maintenance, and were cheapâ¦. and then we went from there and she told me what i could get in realityâ¦.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

K&M Nursery isn't bare root but it may be your only good source for Crystalline. I know I'll be getting 4 this coming spring. All of their roses are on fortuniana root stock. You shouldn't have any trouble with this root stock. I live in zone 7 and over half of my garden is on fortuniana root stock. K&M has a nice web site and a great selection of roses. I also order from Edmunds, Palatine and Wisconsin Roses. I get own root roses from Roses Unlimited.

• anh3012
    9 years ago

You can go to directgardening.com. There are lots of bare root roses with very cheap price.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!