Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bebba1

ratings for Reconciliation, Royal Pageant

bebba1
14 years ago

These two are not yet rated by ARS, and I can't seem to get the RNRS ratings, if any.

Anybody know them?

AND,

Personal opinions between the two, especially fragrance?

Also Compassion? compare the three?

Comments (2)

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

I hope someone with more knowledge of those varieties will respond . . . Of the 3 you mention, the only one I have experience with is 'Reconciliation'. I got it as an own-root plant in the spring of '08, so the jury is still out. I can report that it has a pronounced fragrance and lovely color that slowly fades from apricot to a peachy pink, with gradations of those colors present when the open flower is at its peak. The flowers are quite large with lots of petals and good substance, but the blooms don't retain a classic HT form for very long. When fully open, they are somewhat reminiscent of peonies. The plant produces strong stems and very nice foliage that has been reasonably healthy in my garden (I spray).

Any hesitancy I have about this rose has to do with it's tolerance of high temps. Its best flowering in my garden was this fall, but that may be because it's still an immature plant. The few flowers it produced during the (very) hot summer months here were lackluster.

Since the other two varieties you asked about are climbers, it may be difficult for others here to compare them to 'Reconciliation'.

• littlesmokie
    14 years ago

I have grown Compassion (7 years) and Royal Pageant (5 years.) Both have very good disease resistance no spray in a part sun/shade growing area.

Compassion blooms a lot more, the fragrance is stronger than Royal Pageant, and Compassion lasts better in the landscape and as a cut flower.

The flowers of Royal Pageant blow really fast but they have a nice ruffled sort of look (similar to-but smaller than-Just Joey if you are familiar with that rose's open bloom.)

The fragrance of Compassion is similar to my nose to Tiffany and Elle, if you are familiar with those roses. It's one of my favorite fragrances, but it's NOT a typical strong damask/"rose" scent. I think of it as sweet fruity, maybe a bit peachy? but only moderate in strength.

Reconciliation would be much smaller than either Compassion or Royal Pageant. Compassion can be grown/pruned as an upright self-supporting shrub, but in my experience Royal Pageant wants to grow much larger (and does so at the expense of producing flowers when I've tried to curtail it's growth) and does need some support.

I purchased Compassion ownroot from Heirloom Roses and Royal Pageant (whose true name is Della Balfour, I believe Heirloom renamed it?) from Pickering on multiflora rootstock.

Hope that helps...
    Dawn