Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msdorkgirl

What in the ...

msdorkgirl
9 years ago

Here's a Remember Me plant that I got for a bargain of $10 from a home improvement store --- and I'll post closer up pictures, but look at the leaves! One is glossy, almost kelp like slimy looking and the others are dull (and original to when I got it a month or two ago).

I had issues with some of my plants getting yellow with green veins, so I got some iron sulfate to do foliar spray but other than that, I've fertilized and watered as normal. Anyone ever encountered anything similar? Should I be worried?

The link below is to my page with all the pics in better quality and size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my rose plants that are having issues

This post was edited by msdorkgirl on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 3:26

Comments (12)

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And I am worried ...

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also just repotted a couple of weeks ago, too. i don't really remember this change happening though. Any help that can be provided would be very much appreciated.

And I'm sorry about the picture quality. If anyone knows how to get better pic quality when posting at 60 kb or less, please let me know.

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

The unnatural crinkling of the leaves makes me think of verticulum wilt or aphids/mites.
    The whitish look on the other branch looks like powdery mildew.

Just my impression from the photos and could be 180 degrees off. :)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Looks like powdery mildew to me too.

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, I'll try to get a better picture, I haven't figured out how to make them 60kb without reducing the quality.

I don't think it's powdery mildew, the whitish part is probably residue from whatever treatment I used last.

I've posted the link below to the actual picture without it being cropped/re-sized (pic is on the 6th row, I think it will get you to bigger size if you click on it).

Thanks for your help and opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: bigger quality pic of the leaves in question

This post was edited by msdorkgirl on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 19:54

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Maybe it likes the change in seasons?

• maplerbirch
    9 years ago

I still don't like the look of the shiny leaves. If no sucking insects are there then maybe a root/stem blockage.
    Otherwise your leaves look clean and are not abscising, so it may be nothing.

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I talked to a friend, he said it's just new leaves versus old leaves, another one said it might be chemical damage.

I don't like the look either, could it be the iron sulfate I applied two weeks ago?

Does no one else have Remember Me (and I don't blame you if you don't, I am not a fan of it's spikey look at the end of its bloom). I was trying to see if Help Me Find had anything similar looking, but everyone focuses on the bloom and not the stem/overall plant look.

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

i'm no help at all on this ... it just looks like nice healthy looking leaves to me ....

I noticed that it is potted though and am wondering if a potted rose acts the same way as a ground rose, if it's not more easily stressed in heat for example.

I would worry about this too considering RRV is out there somewhere...it's one of my bogeymen.

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

I got the photo from this site:

http://shop.shootgardening.co.uk/apuldramroses/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8810

I ... think.... it shows similar new growth to yours.

this picture is 140 kb .... it's not mine so I couldn't reduce the size.

Remember Me is a bushy small shrub with glossy foliage, bronze-tinted when young
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1649

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

ps: let me know if you want me to remove that photo because it is so large ..... it might slow down this thread.

this link might help with file sizes: (i'm still trying to figure it out).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/photo/msg0215473631213.html

this photo (again please tell me to remove) was reduced in PAINT to 19.9 kb, I reduced the horizontal pixels to 200 and maintained aspect ratio.

i'm not sure how this helps you because we're probably not using the same programs...so first of all which program are you using?

I think according to that link using photobucket is helpful so you can re size before you post.

hmm edit ...I just saw the photo in the preview and I have the same problem as you seem to have....

when I view it on my computer the photo is at least half that size ... 1.5 inches x 1 inch.... but very sharp and clear.... now it is 5 times the size and blurry.

• msdorkgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hehe, I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who has issues wit the posting of clear pictures :)

Thank you for looking that info on the leaves for me .. but bronze tipped young leaves they are not so maybe something is wrong with it. There's some buds that came along with the new growth so I'm going to wait and see if there's a difference in one of the old blooms versus a bloom from the slimy leaves.