Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dicouris

Experince with these DAs, own root

I can get the following roses own root or grafted. Own root would be a better price. The own roots would be one gallon size. I'd like to hear the experience of anyone who has grown these varieties own root and how you think they might do in a cold climate.

Molineux
Sophy's Rose
Young Lycidas
Bishop's Castle
Gentle Hermione

I think I'm really more in zone 6 than 5. I believe the short growing season is more of a challenge than the cold. We do get plenty of snowfall.

I'm also wondering, in the case where a variety is a particularly vigorous grower, does the choice of own root help keep the rose more compact, in the long run? I understand that OR will take more time to establish, but I guess what I'm asking is if the own roots are less likely to turn octopus, or does it just delay the tendency?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• buford
    9 years ago

I had Bishop's Castle own root, unfortunately I killed it when I had to dig it up and it didn't survive. It was a moderate size for an Austin, but could put out long canes. But I am in a much warmer zone.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

The really big complaints about octopi Austins tend to come from California where that can be a problem, though I've heard some from Texas and Florida also sometimes.

I think a number of the complaints are for particular Austins also--not Austins in general, but specifically, like Graham Thomas. I would guess that in your colder region, you aren't going to have to worry about that problem, however.

Kate

• buford
    9 years ago

Heritage also does the Octopus arms. And Mary Rose. At least in my yard.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've grown about 30 different DA roses, all grafted with the exception of Scarborough Fair, Pretty Jessica, and Francine Austin, which were new this year. I was pleased with how well Scarborough Fair and Pretty Jessica grew during the first summer, and it's encouraged me to think about trying some others own root.

I've grown a number of own root OGRs, modern shrubs, and even a few floris. Results are mixed. If I don't get enough growth in the first year, they're probably not going to survive the winter.

Many of my DAs sprawl more than I'd like. I expect that's just the habit of some varieties, but I got to wondering how much of that was due to rootstock causing vigorous growth.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Sophy was not good own-root here, barely got 12" tall in 8 years...the grafted one was fifty times better.

BC is very vigorous here own root. I do not have the grafted version. Great rose!

Molineux has a shrubby HT growth habit either way. It doesn't sprawl, being fairly vertical. Really productive, always in bloom.

own root YL has a really oddball growth habit, like a bald guy's comb-over. I put two plants together for a better shaped look. Love the fragrance, though, and though blooming is not lavish in quantity, it is constant.

No idea how they would do in a cold climate, sorry.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I see beauty in Young Lycidas. Superb fragrance. Tall & upright here.

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

i live in overly sunny Las Vegas, and found that the first year, I do get the spider arms, but after the 2nd year, the plants became more upright.

Having moved to the new house and put the new garden together, I did find that the plants that made it into the ground too late in spring were more spidery. My landscaper did not finish with the irrigation system and pavers until mid May. but I still get some lovely roses, and it is almost Christmas: