Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura242424

Bud union planted 12" underground ended up OK

laura242424
9 years ago

Just thought I'd put this here for reference's sake -- I was just reading through some old threads, and some people have suggested that planting a bud union really low might not work.

4 years ago I planted 15 or so roses (mostly Austins and climbers from Pickering on multiflora fwiw) with the bud unions a foot underground. I guess I thought that if 6" was good, a foot would be better! Anyway, none died and they're all doing fine. Maybe they would do better planted differently, IDK.

I should clarify that by "fine" for climbers in zone 4, that just means that they only die back to the ground each winter, and don't die entirely..

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

So glad this is working for you - I have figured out over the years that experimenting in your own garden is the surest way to figure out what works and what does not in your specific area. Conditions are so different everywhere, what might be a bad idea in one area could easily be a good idea elsewhere. Your roses, of they are grafted, may grow some of their own roots, which will also help them come back from freezing as the same rose. Thanks for the info.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

That's wonderful! Roses don't read so they usually just go along with what ever they get. We're the ones who worry about it too much. If they're in good soil, good sun and get enough water they'll grow no matter what we do, lol!

I do agree with Jackie too. You have to experiment in your own yard and see what works best for your individual conditions. I've said before that my cousin lives just on the next block from me and things grow entirely different in her yard than they do in mine. We're always comparing notes on just that subject!

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Roses don't read" Haha, love that! so funny and so true.

Reminds me of taking a bioethics course where "the" four types of doctor-patient relationships with regard to patient autonomy were discussed: there were paternalistic doctors, counselor doctors, information doctors, and rational discussion doctors. In Canada, we were told, the informative and counselor model had won the debate. Great! So nice to learn! I should note that I'd never gone to the doctor for anything more complicated than antibiotics and such, at that point.

I remember being so *shocked* when my husband needed surgery and found that enough surgeons were just like, "don't ask any questions, I'm the doctor, here's your appointment." Had they not read Emanuel and Emanuel, 1992??? :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Like the old saying goes: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Doesn't matter if you planted the roses right or wrong. If they grow well and look beautiful, it's working--so don't fix it. : )

Interesting info to file away for future reference, however.

Kate

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Laura - surgeons are a quite unique sub-category of doctors. They have always been famous for bad bedside manners (possibly because when they are operating the patient is unconscious?), bad inter-personal skills in general, and doctor - patient relationships which are way beyond paternal - more like "I have god-like skills - just do what I say". So, I would say your DH's experience is quite within the bounds of "normal" for this speciality. There might be some sort of dynamic going on such as the truly great specific skills needed to be a good surgeon being incompatible with good interpersonal skills - it takes all kinds...

Jackie

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Truly great specific skills needed to be a good surgeon" ? Bah, they're glorified meat cutter/ auto mechanics :)

• laura242424
    Original Author
    9 years ago

^ actually wait, I take that back...that's a contentious thing to say, even if I'm joking :)

One of the coolest surgeries I read about recently was about leprosy: people with leprosy don't have good pain receptors, and a tiny bit of pain from our eyes drying out is what signals us to blink, so people with leprosy can tend to never blink and therefore go blind.

A missionary surgeon a read about thought to tunnel a piece of chewing muscle up patients' cheeks and onto their eyelids, such that as long as they chewed gum, they retained their sight. Cool, huh?

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I've worked with surgeons all my adult life and they are usually very confident and focused individuals and that sometimes can be construed as cocky. That being said some are just plain arrogant and A-holes and some are very nice and caring towards their patients.