Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthie5b

Anyone grow Dream Come True (grandiflora)?

ruthie5b
15 years ago

This AARS winner from Weeks looks quite appealing on HMF. Weeks say it is hardy to z5. I'm wondering how it has been performing for people. Note, I'm not asking about the recent HT of the same name. Thanks for your input.

Ruth

Comments (12)

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

Ruth, I planted a grafted Dream Come True this past spring, so I can't speak as to its winter hardiness yet. I did plant the graft 6" deep.

It was a slow bloomer, which could be attributed to being a young plant. It usually produced about 6 blooms per flush. The blooms, however, are very large and vibrant...a mix of sunset colors...yellow and red. I quite like the colors of the blossoms and the size of the blooms.

Blackspot is a problem here in the humid Midwest, but since I spray, the plant stayed clean. It grew to about 3' last year.

-terry

• ruthie5b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks terryjean. The AARS website says it is hardy to zone 5 and z4 with protection. Hopefully that is true! Do you have any pictures?

Ruth

• Terry Crawford
    15 years ago

I didn't get any pics for some reason. It really has striking blossoms. I wish I would have grabbed the camera and snapped a few.
    -terry

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

I had a similar experience as Terryjean with the graft planted 6 inches deep. My experience with deep graft planting is it takes the first season to get established so it doesn't perform well until the 2nd season. By then it's gone own root and has matured.
    Remember the sleep, creep, leap rule which in most cases happens in my garden. Having learned gardening patience during my 70 years, I'm no longer concerned about a rose's performance until the third year.
    You would think instant gratification would be important as one grows older but in my case I've learned that waiting can be gratifying also.

• ruthie5b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Karl. Would you say that roses that win the AARS are in general good performers or is it an overrated distinction?

Ruth

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    15 years ago

"Would you say that roses that win the AARS are in general good performers or is it an overrated distinction?"

Not really.
    I've had some great AARS roses and some stinkers.
    Although AARS test gardens are scattered through the country and in all growing zones, I've seldom found one that performs well in all zones. They seem to be better suited for warmer and temperate growing areas, not so much for zones 5 or less.
    I don't buy a rose based on a AARS rating. I wait a year or so to see how well it does in the average rose growers garden where it may be subject to some neglect.
    If it still gets raves, it may be a winner then.
    As with the J&P Rose of the Year and other J&P award roses, I believe the AARS award is a selling tool to sell lots of roses to unsuspecting buyers. Every year hundreds of thousands of AARS award roses are sold based only on the fact they got the award. I've read too many bad reports on them over the years to get real excited over them. Another way to tell if they are good is how long they stay in commerce. How many of those given that award in the past 5 or more years are still around?

ALL-AMERICA ROSE SELECTIONS WINNERS 1991-2008
    Mardi Gras
    Dream Come True
    Rainbow Knock Out
    Strike It Rich
    Moondance
    Wild Blue Yonder
    Julia Child
    Tahitian Sunset
    Rainbow Sorbet
    About Face
    DayDream
    Elle
    Lady Elsie May
    Honey Perfume
    Memorial Day
    Day Breaker
    Whisper
    Eureka
    Hot Cocoa
    Cherry Parfait
    Starry Night
    Love & Peace
    Marmalade Skies
    Glowing Peace
    Sun Sprinkles
    Knock Out
    Crimson Bouquet
    Gemini Coral
    Betty Boop
    Fourth of July
    Candelabra
    Kaleidoscope
    Fame!
    Sunset Celebration
    First Light
    Opening Night
    Scentimental
    Timeless
    Carefree Delight
    Livin'Easy
    St. Patrick
    Mt. Hood
    Brass Band
    Singin' in the Rain
    Secret
    Carribean
    Midas Touch
    Solitude
    Sweet Inspiration
    Child's Play
    Rio Samba
    All That Jazz
    Pride 'n' Joy
    Brigadoon
    Shining Hour
    Sheer Elegance
    Perfect Moment
    Carefree Wonder

• ruthie5b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good to know, Karl. There seems to be no shortcut to success.

Ruth

• amandahugg
    15 years ago

If you go to the AARS site (rose.org), you can see a list of public gardens. All these gardens receive the winners one year ahead of time. So the 2009 winners have been there all year. If you live near one of these gardens, it's an easy way to see how the winners perform in your area.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Where is the list? All I could find was references to 23 test gardens, but no list of locations.

I've been to the garden in Buffalo, where the test roses looked bad, and Elizabeth Park, where they looked worse, and wonder what else is around.

• amandahugg
    15 years ago

Go to the 'Enjoying Roses' button at the top. You can find the locations by state on the left.

• celeste/NH
    15 years ago

Here's a photo of it, but I can't comment on winter-hardiness yet since its new. The blooms are very pretty and so far, so good with health & vigor. I too am wondering how it will overwinter here in zone 4. I'll have to wait and see. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Celeste

{{gwi:346162}}

• ruthie5b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very pretty picture, Celeste. Thanks for posting it. Does it have high centred form to start?

Ruth