Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nada1712

Pruning Rosa moschata

nada1712
9 years ago

I have Rosa moschata autumnalis 'Princesse de Nassau coming to its 3rd year. Looks spindly. Shall I prune it? If so when? Also how many times a year should I feed it? Its such a pretty rose but its not really performing. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Comments (7)

• nada1712
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for you comments Jackie but I would like some other advice if anyone has some!

• catsrose
    9 years ago

I have the species Rosa Moschata, which haerkens from the Middle East, not cold northern climates, tho it has done well in Northern Europe. Princess of Nassau is a hybrid Moschata. Mine didn't survive last year's extra cold winter, and neither did the Rivers Musk or the Temple Musk, tho both were still very small, while my species version is extremely well established. Here, the Princess is consider a Noisette, again, a hybrid Moschata, and they prefer warmer weather, so your climate should be better for her.

Neither the musks nor noisettes like pruning and they do grow very twiggy. My guess is yours is just fine and will grow out. First year sleeps, 2nd yr creeps, third yr leaps. So you should have a good growth spurt this year. Don't prune. If your soil is halfway decent, feed once or twice a year. My roses are lucky if they get fed once a year, but they do fine.

nada1712 thanked catsrose
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

I'd agree with Jackie and Cats. These are not roses that like pruning a lot, to begin with.

1st year sleeps, 2nd year creeps, 3rd year leaps is often optimistic for big roses here. They not uncommonly take longer than that to get going.

Moreover, HMF says 8-ft. or more, but if you look through the photos there, ALL of the plants shown are small. Pruning is probably the LAST thing your rose needs.

nada1712 thanked jerijen
  • Embothrium
    9 years ago

Top pruning slows size increase by reducing leaf and stem volume - leaves make food from the sun, which is stored in stems, used to fuel new growth. Growth of long stems in response to cutting back creates the false impression of increased vigor, when in fact the overall increase in top size is less after pruning than it would have been if there had been no shearing or lopping.

nada1712 thanked Embothrium
  • nastarana
    9 years ago

I regret to say that I ruined the appearance and growth of a lovely Princess de Nassau by injudicious pruning. Learn from my sad experience and leave that most beautiful of rose bushes alone. I said most beautiful of rose bushes; la Princesse is one of the few roses of which it it can be said that the foliage and growth habit are truly beautiful by themselves and can contribute much to a garden planting even without blooms and fragrance.

nada1712 thanked nastarana
  • nada1712
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much everyone for your advice which is much appreciated..especially Nastarana!