Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Harvest Time Memory

Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 10:39

I met a lady at a garden club meeting whose father was the farm manager for Jackson & Perkins in the 1950's and 60's, and she used to go visit him at work after school in the growing fields. This was before J&P went corporate. They used to prepare the roses for harvest every November by bringing in a herd of sheep(!). The sheep would eat all the foliage off the roses, and then the sheep would be taken away before they started in on the canes. What was left looked like a cotton field, a forest of bare rose stems with fuzzy white spots everywhere, as the sheep would leave tufts of wool on the rose prickles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Harvest Time Memory

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 10:44

How cool! Thanks for the great story, lol!

o

I love that tale.

o

Low tech solutions. I love the idea of the sheep going through and leaving tufts of wool. sounds so quaint. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here