Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too many water answers

Posted by andreark 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 10:54

My roses are still blooming, not a lot, but still blooming.

I have read many things about winter watering, but I can't find anything for Northern California specifically.

Can someone explain to me, just what happens to roses in mild California winters and how much water is needed?

andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too many water answers

I would treat them the same way as at any other time of the year. If it rains, naturally you don't water. If there's little rain, you would water whenever they seem to be getting dry. They're not dead, just slowing down, and they still need moisture.

o

Get a moisture meter and check to see if the roots are moist. Here the roses have almost stopped taking up water and it has rained some so I'm almost not watering at all now. The last time was before thanksgiving.

o

Thank you Ingrid and Henry. There are just so many differing opinions out there. Of course they all say to water, but the amounts and times differ wildly.

Thanks again,

andrea

o

Andrea - what NORMALLY happens to roses in mild Northern California winters is that they get rained on relentlessly. I live in the North SF Bay Area. In a normal winter (which this one IS NOT), I do not water at all from when it starts raining in late October/mid November until when it stops sometime between March and June.

This winter we have had exactly .80 inches of rain so far (they start measuring on July 1), instead of our "normal to date" which for this date is about 15 inches. So, we have been turning our irrigation system back on every time it is dry for about 14 days. Not right now however, because everything is frozen (also NOT normal), and my DH noticed that I "blew up" one of our timers by turning it on the other day.

We are hoping that things, or at least the temperatures, will get back to normal soon (not freezing every night), at which time we will start irrigating again unless it rains.

Your question is a good one, but this year is so weird that I am not surprised that you are getting different answers...

Jackie

o

Oh thanks Jackie. That is exactly what I wanted.

I have sprinkler systems also, but since I only have about
30 roses, I water them by hand. And it's is cold out there to be playing with a hose.

Another place where I find conflicting info is the weather forecasts for California this winter. Some say we will get water some say another drought year.

So, as you suggest, I will water unless it is freezing.

Thanks again,

andrea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here