Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Selling # 1.5/2 grade as # 1

thahalibut
13 years ago

I went to HD early today looking at the roses. They are selling 1.5 & 2 grades as # 1 grades. I took one & had them scan it & it says #1 grade 9.98 & its obviously at the best a 1.5. Most of their #1 have only 2 canes & are very weak & spindly. Lowes has all theirs graded & priced right. I plan on confronting the garden manager & the store manager but I imagine it will fall on def ears. What can I do? I want them to stop, isn't this illegal?

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    13 years ago

The store management can alert the buying officer and provider at best, and that is IF they care enough to do it. It would be an agent of the USDA you'd need to contact, perhaps Weights and Measures? It would be interesting to find out whether you are looking at the same brand or different ones. The stores don't grade the plants, the grower does. I'd imagine the grading is on the packages, which would have been put there by the grower not the retailer. I'd be interested in in hearing what brands are involved, particularly the one which mis graded.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I noticed the same thing at my HD in Lake Forest last week. The grower for all of HD's roses this year is Coiner. Figures. But they didn't have anything I wanted anyway.

Lowe's on the other hand did have a better selection, and I got Sacred Heart and Walking on Sunshine for $10 a pop for plants in peat pots with many good fat canes. Lowe's plants are from Certified Roses.

{{gwi:346545}}

Hmmm, maybe it's time to get off the computer and go get those guys out of those peat pots . . . very nice weather today. . . bye.

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    13 years ago

You ask "What can you do?" You can stop buying roses at HD & shop at the small local nursery. You might be paying more, but the quality & selection will be better.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    13 years ago

Is the rose marked grade 1 or does it only scan as a grade 1? If the latter, it could be the computer needs to be updated. They could be using an old label for the $9.98 plants that prints out grade 1.
    Regarding "It would be an agent of the USDA you'd need to contact, perhaps Weights and Measures?"
    "The grade of a rose refers to a rating established by the American Association of Nurserymen."
    The USDA nor Weights and Measures have nothing to do with it thus it's not enforcable by either of them.
    Various states, especially those with large commercial rose growers, have laws and regulations regarding proper grading of roses.
    You have to pay close attention to the wording. Top grade or first grade are not the same as grade 1.

• User
    13 years ago

"What can I do? I want them to stop"

Don't buy roses from HD. Its that simple; vote with your wallet.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Listen to Trospero and to DollsandRoses.

When you buy rose plants from Lowes, HD, and WallyWorld, you are defeating yourself.
    You are helping to engineer the demise of good local nurseries, AND telling the Big Box Stores that you are happy to buy low-quality rose plants.

Go to HD for mulch, potting soil, fertilizer -- but buy your plants from Nurserymen who care.

Elsewise, your choices for roses will eventually be between Home Depot and Passalong.
    Jeri

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I go to lowes & HD its mostly for research on plants, see who has what at what cost, then go here & helpmefind/internet. I buy everything I can from out local "real" nursery. But if they don't have it, I will buy it at lowes or HD. I bought 13 roses this week, only 1 from HD because no one else had it.

The roses at HD said "Golden West" on the bag. Lowes were certified roses.

The roses are clearly marked, grade 1 & it scans grade 1 & they are clearly 1.5 or 2 with 2 strong canes or 1 or 2 wimpy canes. I know HD didnt mark them, but they are selling them & that bothers me.
    Tim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

USDA doesn't have enough agents to inspect everything. If you think roses are not getting inspected properly, imagine how much substandard foods are slipping by and getting sold.

Caveat emptor!