Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sombreuil in zone 5

Posted by predfern z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 11:21

I came across a recent article from Wisconsin claiming that Sombreuil is winter hardy. Has anyone grown this rose in zone 5? Other roses mentioned include Orchid Romance, Colette and Golden Fairy Tale.

No More Rose Divas
by Linda Kimmel - posted 07/10/13
http://statebystategardening.com/state.php/wi/articles/no_more_rose_divas/

Here is a link that might be useful: No More Rose Divas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sombreuil in zone 5

You definitely need to hear from someone who grows it (or tried to grow it) in zone 5, but since everyone seems to think it is a winchuriana hybrid of some sort, I would not be surprised if it was cold hardy enough.

Jackie

o

I have one ordered for spring. Am curious also.

o

I've tried and lost two when we were classified as Zone 5B....and I really don't think it was me. I've never seen it growing anywhere in this region.

o

Thanks for the responses. I will look for something else.

o

I've had Sombreuil (or whatever is marketed under that name in the US - Colonial White perhaps) for about 5 years. It's resolutely hardy for me in my zone 5, but maybe the dryness of my region adds to its hardiness when it wasn't for professorRoush. I have to say it doesn't bloom much, but it's in part shade and not optimal circumstances. It's trouble free and mostly cane hardy for me but under its present performance I wouldn't replace it unless it decides to wow me in the near future.

In general, I think something else would meet your purposes better.

Cynthia

o

Thanks Cynthia. I am still considering Orchid Romance, Golden Fairy Tale and Colette. Orchid Romance comes from Radler the Knockout guy but is fragrant with old fashioned blooms. Colette has Prairie Princess (Buck) in its background. I have not tried any of the Fairy Tale roses yet but Golden Fairy Tale is supposed to be vigorous and somewhat fragrant (not sure about winter hardiness in zone 5a).

o

Sounds like some much more robust choices. All of the Fairy Tale roses have been completely hardy and excellent bloomers for me, the only downside with Golden FT is that it pales relatively quickly, but it's a nice light lemon-cream color when faded. Colette has survived one winter for me and shows promise, but no blooms yet. I haven't succumbed yet to the Orchid Romance attraction yet but it's on my short list to consider - where are you looking for yours to purchase in 2013?

Cynthia

o

Roses Unlimited has them listed on their website. I have not asked RU yet if they are in stock. Have you noticed any fragrance on Golden Fairy Tale?

o

Ah good thanks for the input - I may check with Pat about the Orchid Romance as I'm still finishing up an order with RU. As for fragrance, I'm not a good informant as I don't have a good nose, but I haven't been able to detect anything significant from GFT, so if it's there it's mild. In general, Kordes roses aren't known for their fragrance but for hardiness and disease resistance, though both Floral Fairy Tale and Elegant Fairy Tale have some fragrance to my nose.

Cynthia

o

I actually bought "Sombreuil" from Home Depot this past Fall. That's what it was labeled as. I planted it in a sunny spot, and I'm interested to see if it will survive our tough Winters. I also have "Colette" and she's a great rose. Mine grew really tall this year and I might have to move her to another spot. I'm surprised that the roses mentioned in Ms. Kimmel's article don't list any Canadian Explorer roses. These are super hardy and beautiful roses. I have quite a few - John Davis, William Baffin, John Cabot and I just purchased Quadra. If you're searching for hardy roses, give these a try.

o

Colette sounds promising. Is it fragrant? I don't have any Canadian Explorers yet because I got the impression that they were not very fragrant (except for rugosa hybrids). Hardier Austins seem to do well here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here