Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To A Wild Rose

Posted by sandandsun 9a FL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 12:04

I think I've been reading about interest in species roses here in some forum threads. For those folk, and of course, everyone who may not have this link:

Happy Holidays!

Here is a link that might be useful: RogersRoses Wild Roses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To A Wild Rose

Also, To A Wild Rose is a name to a song/piano music by Edward MacDowell.

o

Thank you. I'd forgotten this site existed. I meant to go there and then forgot.
I've become very interested in species roses in the past few years. I've added a number to the garden.

o

Do these roses have fragrance?

o
Species Roses

kittymoonbeam,

These roses aren't really in my realm. I discovered the site a while ago and found it interesting for different reasons - history, heritage, etc., for me. But there are folks who love species and some who do or might use them for hybridizing. I hoped other folks might find it helpful and enjoy it.

Now about that fragrance question: I'd wager that some definitely are. Sorry, I can't really be any help though.

o

Yes, Kitty, quite a few have fragrance - ranging from musk, through to citrus, myrrh, linseed and violets. Some have fragrant foliage such as the sweet briars and primula while some have a very strong old rose scent (R.webbiana and R.sancta). Some have peculiar but unique scents such as fedchenkoana and austrian copper. They are an interesting and varied bunch with something for everyone, ranging from graceful architecture, wonderfully diverse foliage to a stunning display of heps and autumn colouring. Many of them will grow in shadier places than usual, almost woodland edge, while they can be absolutely tiny to hugely massive. If I could only have one class of roses, wildlings would always be my choice.

o

It sounds like your new wooded area would be perfect for wild roses. I saw a beautiful little area of wild roses in the local mountains in October but the flowers were gone by then and they were making an impressive crop of heps. They were as you said in the dappled light of trees along a dried out creek bed where there was sun because no trees were growing in the sandy bed of the creek. That's nice about them having a rich and diverse fragrance. All we have in the city are tame roses.

o

Yep, Kitty, I am sowing heps already. I like the idea of them growing up already in situ but there is always the cutting or even transplant options (although I have least success of all, actually moving roses which have been in place for more than 2 or 3 years).

o

Thread link:

Here is a link that might be useful: R. abyssinica

o

Thread link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Roses

o

That's a wonderful thing to sow rose seeds. I have a few little self sown roses that I am watching. I think they are from a pink mini I got that looked old fashioned to me. The other parent who knows because I have a mix of everything out there.

I hope you get a beautiful blooming wood full of wild roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here