Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firefighter, Frederic Mistral, Peter Mayle--own root?

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 12:09

Has anyone tried growing Firefighter, Frederic Mistral or Peter Mayle own root in zones 5-6? I am patient and can wait for the bushes to mature, but not if it means they are weak own root growers doomed for failure in my climate. Any thoughts or advice?

Most online sources for Firefighter sell it as own root, so I am not even sure where to look for an excellent quality grafted specimen.

Thanks,
Ispahan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firefighter, Frederic Mistral, Peter Mayle--own root?

Al, who lives in zone 5b Chicagoland, grows Firefighter, Frederic Mistral, and Peter Mayle ... as own-roots from Roses Unlimited. I have Firefighter and Fred. Mistral as own-roots from RU also. Very vigorous as own-root, you won't regret getting them. Their scents are great. I took off Peter Mayle from my buy-list since I was concerned about the thorns. Now I realize that it's a skinny bush, won't cause much damage.

The rosarian Karl Bapst, zone 5a, reported that both Firefighter and Double Delight gave him the most cut-flowers.

o

Frederic Mistral and Peter Mayle both died in my garden. I did not winter protect them. The only Romantica that has survived is Bolero.

o

Al in Chicagoland grows two Peter Mayle as own-roots, that's how much he likes them. Folks in cold zone report Peter Mayle die-back to the crown, and needs heavy winter-protection.

One person is Connecticut, zone 5b informed me that Frederic Mistral is VERY SUSCEPTIBLE to spring frost. Several Fred. Mistral died on Niels, Denmark zone 5b this past winter. I'm moving my Frederic Mistral closer to the house today, thank you, Predfern for that info.

o
Frederic Mistral as own-roots is quite shallow

I dug up Fred. Mistral yesterday to move closer to the house. His roots are woody and vigorous like Dr. Huey, but quite shallow ... a horizontal spread, rather than a vertical deep root like Austins. That's why he is not hardy.

I have other OWN-ROOTS Romanticas like Liv Tyler, Sweet Promise, Bolero, and Meilland rose Firefighter. They all have shallow roots that run on the surface, and I can't plant annuals next to them like with Austins. It's best to winter-protect Romanticas and Firefighter by dumping soil on the ENTIRE-SURFACE, and not just at the center base only.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here