Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Tell me about Joseph's Coat and Pinata

Molineux
16 years ago

I want to buy a multi-colored climbing rose for a zone 7b garden. The rose will be grown up an iron support then allowed to "weep" downward (i.e. a weeping standard). JOSEPH'S COAT is the classic choice but I've read elsewhere (Heirloom Roses) that PINATA has smaller flowers in greater profusion. I'd very like to read your experiences with the two roses. In particular, how good is the vigor, disease resistance (especially to blackspot), remontancy (repeat bloom), and flower fragrance? This garden is for a friend of mine who is an artist so color, not fragrance, is the biggest deciding factor.

Thank you,

Patrick

Image of Joseph's Coat by Christian at Hortiplex

Image of Joseph's Coat by Kathy9NorCal at the Roses Gallery

{{gwi:346962}}

Comments (14)

• julie22
    16 years ago

I've never grown Joseph's Coat, though I keep threatening to get it. It was the favorite of a now deceased friend and I really want it for my garden. From your pictures, it is gorgeous and I can understand why it was his favorite.

I have grown Pinata. It's is a much smaller rose in size and flower. But I think it is also brighter and the clusters are fuller. It is more like a tall shrub or a pillar rose than a climber, but definitely gets larger clusters, much tighter than JC. The color is similar, but more orange, brighter and fades to the more vermillion. As far as disease resistance, my thoughts were that it was average, but have been told that Pinata's disease resistance is better than JC but since I've never grown JC I can't state that with any athority.

• carol_se_pa_6
    16 years ago

Patrick

Joseph's Coat was a bust for me. It was in the back of my garden so I'm not sure if it got lost in the crowd or what. I haven't seen that many positive remarks about it. It seems to me that it does better in California gardens.
    Good luck!

• hemlady
    16 years ago

Patrick, I can only tell you about how Joseph's Coat did for my mother in Piedmont NC. It was covered in BS, and eventually died from the trauma as she never sprayed. I think to grow this rose in a humid climate, you must spray. Denise

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Another option to consider might be Friesinger Morgenrote aka Sunrise. The colouring is similar and the scent is good.

In my location it is very healthy, your conditions are i am sure very different.

cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF- Friesinger Morgenrote

• lynnette
    16 years ago

Joseph's coat can be a very beautiful rose but in the PNW it does best as a large shrub. This rose needs loving care and does better in rich or clay type soil. It also requires extra fertilizer. Yes, it is prone to BS but it still is worth spraying with a dormant oil and suphur type in the early spring before it starts to bud out . Then again in the late spring but using the weaker summer solution.
    Pinata grows best as a large shrub and looks better in partial shade (which it tolerates) to perserve the different colours of the flowers. They also last longer too. I didn't like the fade out and discoloration of Pinata until I grew it in partial shade and there is definitly a difference. I honestly don't think either one of these climbers will droop or even bend as their cans are quite stiff. Friesinger Morgenrote also is happiest as a large shrub and again has stiff canes but is still a good climber. In my garden the repeat was not generous.

• aklinda
    16 years ago

I have both of these roses growing separately in large pots. I planted the Pinata in 2006 and the Joseph's Coat in 2007. They are growing in like conditions. The Joseph's Coat was much leggier, had a good flush in the early summer and then an occasional flower through the rest of the summer. The Pinata was more compact and slower growing but bloomed consistently all summer. Since they are both in intense New Mexico full sun, the flowers only lasted a day or two before changing color. The flowers on Pinata were fuller than the flowers on Joseph's Coat.

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

Patrick,
    I love the color of Joseph's Coat and it always seems to be throwing blooms (I think it is blooming now, way at the top of the trellis), but it is one of my three worst for blackspot (along with Dreamweaver Cl.and Angel Face). I spray it, and it is still spotty most of the time. It grows tall for me and is very stiff and thorny. I have it growing on a trellis with Dreamweaver, Westerland and Lace Cascade and two Kiwi vines and various clematis. The trellis is about 12 ft. and it reaches the top. The trellis faces east, and is against an outbuilding, so it gets no afternoon sun. I do fertilize it alot. I think you would like it, but it is labor intensive and would be especially so in your climate.
    Good luck
    Kathy

• carla17
    16 years ago

Can you handle possible BS. I cannot attest to your growing zone but here, a mess.
    Of course what am I saying. YOU are the one that talked me into so many Austin's that have to be sprayed.

Carla

• Molineux
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beauty has its price.

It sure looks like PINATA is ahead in this race. Yes I do spray but only infrequently. I consider a rose to be disease resistant if it can maintain healthy foliage with spraying (Mancozeb) once every three weeks. ANGEL FACE certainly doesn't fall into this group. When I grew the runty Floribunda it required weekly spraying. Yes the flowers were pretty but not enough to inspire that kind of devotion. The Diva roses (Evelyn, Fair Bianca, Rouge Royale, WS2000, etc.) are another thing entirely. They inspire plenty of devotion.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

Patrick, Pinata will not weep. It is really just a tall stiff shrub. I know you won't like it for a climber. The rose someone mentioned Sunrise is really exceptionally beautiful. It grows very well here with a little less disease than Joeseph's Coat. The color is softer, more interesting. You'd have to start with a band. I got mine from Vintage.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I was going to plant climbing rosa "Joseph's Coat" but so many here said it was a blackspot magnet so I forgoed it and planted "Pinata" instead back in May of this year...I have been thrilled with this rose...it's a blooming fool and no blackspot for me in my Texas zone 8B...I can't wait for it to cover my wall....The multicolor and changing colors are superb....Jeanne

• gypsysunrise
    15 years ago

So... Pinata is more of a tall shrub, then? I just bought one tonight, thinking it would be a climber. Does it need any support at all?

• bigracks_9_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just bought a Pinata @ the local Wal-Mart. They seem to have really healthy stuff this year, for a change!
    I was really hoping for a Joseph's Coat but after reading these postings I think I'm better off with the Pinata. I've already changed my mind about where I'm planting it. It was supposed to go out by the pool but I'm gonna put it against the east side of a limestone house so it gets less of our hot afternoon sun.
    It will be a beautiful sight from our guest bedroom windows.
    I'm feeling better about this already!