Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Rose in pot

bkay2000
9 years ago

My neighbor has just moved to an assisted living center. I took some of her potted plants as I wanted them to stay/be healthy. The rose is the only question. I know nothing about roses, other than they have to be cut back in February. It's been in this pot for several years. The whole thing died a couple of years ago (it was really tall), but came back from the roots. I would think it needs new soil by now, but am only guessing.

The flowers are usually nicer than this, but it's December, so they aren't so pretty. The pot appears to be about 7 gallons to me (a little larger than a 5 gallon bucket). From the bottom of the pot to the top of the rose is about 4 feet. I have no idea as to the variety. I'm relatively sure it came from Home Depot or somewhere like that.

Can anyone help me with some care instructions?

bk

{{gwi:2121248}}

{{gwi:2121249}}

{{gwi:2121250}}

Comments (6)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Can you plant it in the ground? That would make it the happiest. If not, I would get a larger pot and transplant it.

Jackie

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It actually looks pretty good for December! You can remove any of the yellow leaves and prune out dead wood, if there is any, right away. Leave all the green leaves even if they are damaged because they're still feeding the plant. Good drainage is very important for potted roses. They like a good amount of water, about an inch per week, but they hate to have their roots sitting in a pool of it.

I agree with Jackie, it needs a bigger pot. Find something around 15 gallons if you can. Stick with plastic or the new resin types because they're much lighter weight. And if you get any freezing temps where you are ceramic or pottery will crack. Make sure it has good drainage holes and if there is a tray on the bottom, take it off. Look for some type of wheeled pot trolley to put it up on. It will help with drainage and make it easier to move around when necessary.

Any good quality potting soil will work but it must be potting soil and not top or garden soil. That's too heavy and won't drain properly. If the soil has fertilizer in it that's fine if not you can give a shot of any kind of well balanced fertilizer. Follow the package directions for how much to use.

I wish I could give you some idea of what rose it is but I don't know. It's very pretty though and I'm sure your neighbor appreciates that you've saved it. Post some pics in the spring when it's in full bloom!

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I raise hosta in pots, so I'm fairly up on everything you say about drainage and potting soil. I do have a larger pot.

I don't have a good sun place to put it in the ground. Any place that gets enough sun is on the back side of the garage, which is easily forgotten.

When I've kept hosta in pots long term, the potting soil breaks down. Hosta are not bothered if you hose all the soil off the roots and repot it in totally new soil (if you do it in early spring). Would roses stand for that kind of treatment? If so, when would be the best time to do it?

Thanks so much for your help.

bk

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Well you can bare root roses like that but I don't think it's necessary and you would only do that when they are dormant. Roses need those very fine white feeder roots to feed the plant so you don't want to lose those. The less you disturb the existing root ball the less transplant shock the rose will experience. The best time to do major transplanting is in the early spring when the roses are just beginning to grow. They're all set to put out new roots and top growth and will work their way into the new soil quickly. I'm not sure when that would be for zone 8 but around here we use the old adage to prune roses in the spring when the forsythia starts to bloom. That's usually a good indicator that the ground has warmed sufficiently for growth to start. You might want to check your area to see if there is a rose society near you. They would be able to give you better information as to when to do things for your climate.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You trim roses in February here. We have forsythia here, so I'll pay attention when they bloom.

Thanks for all your help.

bk

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I found resin barrel pots at Home Depot for $20 each. They're 22 1/2 inches in diameter across the top. I used them for the larger of my pot-pet Hybrid Teas. See link below, and pics of mine after planting roses and annuals in them.

:-)

~Christopher

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-22-5-in-Resin-Whiskey-Barrel-HDR-505742/203580708

{{gwi:301893}}

{{gwi:301894}}

{{gwi:301895}}

{{gwi:2121251}}

{{gwi:2121252}}