Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Your favorite non-Kordes/non-Meilland hybrid tea?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

Since we've already covered Kordes and Meilland HTs, let's lump all the others together and nominate your top THREE favorite non-Kordes/non-Meilland hybrid teas. List breeder if you know it.

Here are my THREE favorites:

Red Intuition--Delbard HT--long-lasting blooms and very disease-resistant--and beautiful!
{{gwi:329644}}

Double Delight--Swim & Ellis HT--that indispensable HT ! This is the best pic I have--I know some of you have much better ones.
{{gwi:297471}}

Gypsy Carnival--Suzuki HT--shouldn't be here since it is a terrible disease magnet, but I do love this red with the yellow reverses, so I'm including it here instead of Chrysler Imperial which would have been my next choice.
{{gwi:347216}}

As popular as Double Delight usually is, perhaps we should just say, what are your THREE favorite non-Kordes/non-Meilland HTs OTHER THAN DOUBLE DELIGHT!

But you can show us a DD pic if you have a really good one! : )

Kate

Comments (15)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My three favorite non-Kordes/non-Meilland hybrid teas are: Augusta Luise and Ascot both hybridized by Evers at Tantau; Ascot is also classified as a grandiflora. My third selection is Dainty Bess (not sure who its hybridizer was).
    Diane
    Here is Ascot.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My second favorite, Augusta Luise.
    Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

That's really hard to narrow down, but I'll have to say Fragrant Cloud (Tantau) as my favorite, probably followed by Dolly Parton (Winchel) and then Rio Samba (Warriner). Honorable mentions to Royal Amethyst, Over the Moon, Falling in Love, Firefighter, and on and on and on...

Fragrant Cloud

{{gwi:347219}}

Dolly Parton

{{gwi:347221}}

Rio Samba

{{gwi:347223}}

Royal Amethyst

{{gwi:347225}}

Falling in Love

{{gwi:347227}}

Over the Moon

{{gwi:347228}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooooh--some handsome HTs there!

Anna, I love your Ascot!

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Some beautiful roses everyone! Tiffany by Lindquist is my number one choice. Mainly because it is a good bloomer for me and the fragrance and I love the color too!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Number 2 choice is Double Delight by Swim & Ellis. It is dependable, unique and always fragrant, can't help but love it! I actually have better pictures than this one, but I'm sure I've already posted them.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

And my number three choice is Bewitched by Lammerts. The blooms are nearly always beautiful and I think it is an overall good pink. It is almost a tie between it and Perfume Delight, but Bewitched blooms stay prettier longer.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

without a doubt---LOUISE ESTES. Everything I want in a HT. Good looking bush from top to bottom. Beautiful foliage, long cutting stems, one of the most beautiful blooms I have ever seen and it smells great. I have never seen a picture of this rose that does it any justice. You have to see it in person to understand what I mean. Now it gets tough. #2 would be MOONSTONE---Some good shots on HMF. #3 is BRINESSA---Beautiful smoky pink blooms on a good bush. Foliage like leather. Getting a little tough to find now aday.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Oops - I didn't notice Kate's comment about Double Delight, my picture isn't that great! So I'll bump up Bewitched to number two and choose Perfume Delight by Swim and Weeks as my third choice!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Mine are two very early ones, La France and Souvenir de President Carnot, both late 1800's I believe. I think I'm also going to like Heirloom but it's very small and hasn't flowered yet.

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Fragrant Cloud

Tropicana

Mr. Lincoln

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Many of the ones listed above plus 'Dainty Bess'....a 5 petal HT that an artist friend of mine described as "a bush with a cloud of pink butterflies over it".

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I agree with wirosarian on Dainty Bess which I also selected as one of my favorites. But I don't have a good photo of her, so I think we should ask seil "pretty please" if she would post her exquisite pic of Dainty Bess for one of our photos. If you're reading this, seil, pretty please post that pic. Thanks. Diane

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I thought we already did this. Oh well, here's my three faves at this moment.... (that changes from day to day)

STRANGER - florist rose Olij-Rozen BV (Netherlands)
    {{gwi:244296}}
    {{gwi:347229}}

REMEMBER ME - Anne Cocker (Scotland)
    {{gwi:347231}}
    {{gwi:347232}}

BROOKS RED - sport of SIGNATURE discovered by Warren Brooks (not really very "red")
    {{gwi:347233}}
    {{gwi:347234}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I love the beautiful shadings of Remember Me, Beth, plus the form of its petals is exquisite. Diane